2021 jlu sahara vs rubicon help with order

Ronald gomeZ

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Hi guys , trying to order on Saturday 2021 jlu sahara or rubicon. I live in nyc some snow but not that crazy . I love the sahara and the selec trac full time awd . But i also love the rubicon 4:10 gears , dana 44 , lockers swaybar disconnect and now the rock trac full time awd ( not so sure about this one ) . Rubi is only 40-50 dolars more a month , since is a lease with option to buy maybe good option. Need you guys give me some more knowledge abut you experiences. Thanks
Corona
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
No wrong choice here. However, if you aren't going to take it off road, no need for the Rubicon. The Sahara will easily get you thru NYC snow storms.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Rubicon or Sahara, your choice. If you are asking about a lease vs. purchase, it depends on the terms of the lease; length, residual, interest rate, cash due at signing, and allowed mileage.

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I struggled with this decision a few weeks ago. In the end I went with the JLUR. The cost difference was around 6k (CDN). A lot of extra’s, plus the hood and wheels. Resale is said to be slightly better percentage wise compared to other trims. If both are in your budget, pick what you like best.

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 firecracker red Sahara (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubicon (ordered)
I think it depends what look you would like. Since is a lease im assumimg you are not going to mod it much. Rubicon comes already higher with bigger tires. I personally live in nyc and had a 2018 sahara, got rid of it and got a rubicon with auto 4wd but the sahara is much more comfortable stock bc of tires and suspension. Totally depends what you are trying to achieve. If you add any mods to a sahara to make it look more aggresive go with rubicon bc the money you would spend on a mod would be equivalent to the extra 50 a month for your lease. Got to rubi and get tons of compliments bc i think it looks amazing. Also i used the auto 4wd in these past rainy days and it behaves just like an awd suv so you are not sacrificing much.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Sahara Selec-Trac includes a rear LSD; the Rubicon full-time Rock-Trac has an open differential with a rear locker.

For snow driving conditions, the rear LSD on the Sahara makes the Selec-Trac literally seamless operation: leave it engaged and forget about it.

Good luck.

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Other then the difference you stated between the rock trac and select trac is the technology virtually the same?

OP
OP

Ronald gomeZ

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
My wifw will be using this jeep alot .thats why i like the sahara full auto feuture .just on and she will be fine . Then i saw rubicon has something similar and want the rubicon but have read bad opion about the rubicon rock trac full 4wd . Looking opions

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Other then the difference you stated between the rock trac and select trac is the technology virtually the same?
Apparently so. From what I’ve read, both systems use clutch packs in the center to allow a degree of slippage in full-time mode.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi guys , trying to order on Saturday 2021 jlu sahara or rubicon. I live in nyc some snow but not that crazy . I love the sahara and the selec trac full time awd . But i also love the rubicon 4:10 gears , dana 44 , lockers swaybar disconnect and now the rock trac full time awd ( not so sure about this one ) . Rubi is only 40-50 dolars more a month , since is a lease with option to buy maybe good option. Need you guys give me some more knowledge abut you experiences. Thanks
Corona
Hey Ronald:

I think best answers may come from what YOU intend on doing with the vehicle.

I could be completely wrong but I seem to think that your comparison of features has more to do with which navigates the streets better in inclement weather.

Of course I could be wrong. That you're urban and haven't mentioned off roading of course in no way implies that such activities aren't also part of your intentions.

Still more, for the Mrs. is the Wrangler more something that gets her from Point A to B, or is she also the camping, off roading adventurer, or someone seeking that.

Still more, you speak of leasing with the possibilyty of buying down the road. This leaves in the air just how much of a good idea it is for you to customize the vehicle with gear after purchase when you may want to return the vehicle at the end of the lease.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ronald gomeZ

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Hey Ronald:

I think best answers may come from what YOU intend on doing with the vehicle.

I could be completely wrong but I seem to think that your comparison of features has more to do with which navigates the streets better in inclement weather.

Of course I could be wrong. That you're urban and haven't mentioned off roading of course in no way implies that such activities aren't also part of your intentions.

Still more, for the Mrs. is the Wrangler more something that gets her from Point A to B, or is she also the camping, off roading adventurer, or someone seeking that.

Still more, you speak of leasing with the possibilyty of buying down the road. This leaves in the air just how much of a good idea it is for you to customize the vehicle with gear after purchase when you may want to return the vehicle at the end of the lease.
I have a jku sport she loves it and wants the new want but we in nyc we be dealing just with snow .but will want it to be better in case a sent it to dom rep. To do some off road. End of the day like both of them but rubi has more equipment.but heard sahara full time 4wd is better the rubicons and i need this for nyc.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have a jku sport she loves it and wants the new want but we in nyc we be dealing just with snow .but will want it to be better in case a sent it to dom rep. To do some off road. End of the day like both of them but rubi has more equipment.but heard sahara full time 4wd is better the rubicons and i need this for nyc.
I'd think Ronald--you tell me--that getting the vehicle to the D.R. is a bit of a to do.

Maybe not, as I'd suspect you may know of people who have done this, particularly if, for example, people with who you have ties regularly spend, for example, Winter months there as their form of "Snowbirding," moving vehicles by boats to and from there (perhaps even from an NYC point or origin) being just another business.

But we do have getting the vehicle there (and presumptively back), and once there, making the off roading plunge, compared with your default urban driving needs.

Both the Rubicon and Sahara (particularly with optioned Select-Trac) will be capable on slick city streets, if not harder to find on street parking with when compared to a smaller, if not also less traction capable vehicle.

I'd think the price difference can be justified if you really like the Rubicon better. Both have creature comforts and both are off road capable and customizable, but the Sahara is positioned to emphasize more of the trim aspects of ownership while the Rubicon more the propulsion ones.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I would go with a Rubicon. Easier to modify, and more heavy duty. Plus, according to another thread, the Sahara owners are looked down upon, by other Wrangler owners. Not that most men would even care.
Now, if it were for my wife and daughter, I would do the Sahara, it isnt as complicated and it is capable enough.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I dont know how reliable the All-Wheel Drive set-up is, with the Sahara. I do know the All-Wheel Drive systems on the Ford Explorers have been pretty reliable. As long as Jeep makes a reliable set-up, and you dont alter the suspension tires/wheel sizes, it should be good. Especially if you are in a constant rainy or snow environment.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I got the sahara and would do it again. If I had any ideas of serious off roading I would have paid for the Rubicon. But for my intentions it was complete waste of money. Plus for 2019 there was no selec-trac on the rubicon. It is a nice option for Chicago winters.

People can look down at me all they want for my mall crawler.
Sponsored