2021 JLU Rubicon w/ major Uconnect issue

cwturner

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Just got a brand new (600 miles) 2021 Rubicon with the 8.4 Uconnect and 3.6 e-torque. The entire screen and all the controls below started shutting down every time engine is started or put into run mode. The screen will come on and radio will play while in ACC, but as soon as soon as you start car the whole system shuts down. Basically the only electronics that work are the instrument cluster behind steering wheel and lights. I have tried various different ways to reset the system including disconnecting battery, but nothing has worked. I can drive it, but no radio and the front defrost is on high which I can not change since the climate controls are out. I have contacted my dealer and they are doing research before I bring it in. They are an hour away so trying to exhaust all options before I make that trip. I have seen a lot of threads on here about Uconnect shutting down, but not specifically only in run mode or on newer JL's. Has anybody had a similar issue or got any ideas. TIA!
Sponsored

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
Check fuses. Had something similar and pulled then reset same fuse and voila!

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Has anybody had a similar issue or got any ideas.
It may sound silly, but the JL is known to ship from the factory with loose fuses and relays. Open the hood, pop the cover to the fuse box and press down on every fuse and relay to make sure they are fully seated. Loose fuses and relays have been know to cause all types of weird electrical issues.

While under the hood also check that your battery cables are on tight.

Lastly, there is a possibility that your battery is bad. Bad batteries also cause weird electrical issues. Have both of them tested. You should be able to find a local place that does battery tests, so that you don't have to travel an hour to the dealer.

Last edited:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It may sound silly, but the JL is known to ship from the factory with loose fuses and relays. Open the hood, pop the cover to the fuse box and press down on every fuse and relay to make sure they are fully seated. Loose fuses and relays have been know to cause all types of weird electrical issues.

While under the hood also check that your battery cables are on tight.

Lastly, there is a possibility that one, or both of you batteries are bad. Bad batteries also cause weird electrical issues. Have both of them tested. You should be able to find a local place that does battery tests, so that you don't have to travel an hour to the dealer.
He's got the eTorque, so only one 12 volt battery under the hood.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Either way, the battery could be bad.
Absolutely. I would hate for the OP to go digging around looking for his auxillary battery which doesn't exist on the eTorque.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
It may sound silly, but the JL is known to ship from the factory with loose fuses and relays.
I 2nd that. My '21 JLR came with nearly every fuse not fully inserted and nearly every relay not fully clicked in. It is rather ridiculous but it's a real thing. Push every one of them in all the way.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just got a brand new (600 miles) 2021 Rubicon with the 8.4 Uconnect and 3.6 e-torque. The entire screen and all the controls below started shutting down every time engine is started or put into run mode. The screen will come on and radio will play while in ACC, but as soon as soon as you start car the whole system shuts down. Basically the only electronics that work are the instrument cluster behind steering wheel and lights. I have tried various different ways to reset the system including disconnecting battery, but nothing has worked. I can drive it, but no radio and the front defrost is on high which I can not change since the climate controls are out. I have contacted my dealer and they are doing research before I bring it in. They are an hour away so trying to exhaust all options before I make that trip. I have seen a lot of threads on here about Uconnect shutting down, but not specifically only in run mode or on newer JL's. Has anybody had a similar issue or got any ideas. TIA!
Hi there,

We're super sorry to hear about the concerns you've been noticing with your Uconnect system. If you run into any concerns while working with your dealer, please don't hesitate to send our team a private message! We'd be happy to help.

Courtney
Jeep Cares

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
+1 on checking the fuses, the majority of my fuses were loose as well. I checked my 3 other vehicles 2 Hondas and a Toyota, none of them had any fuses loose.

@JeepCares should see what the factory can do about making sure that the fuses are all properly seated before sending Jeep Wranglers out. It would probably save them a lot of return trips and unsatisfied customers.

OP
OP

cwturner

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for all the replies. I reseated all the fuses and relays. That is not it. The dealer has it now, hopefully they can figure it out quickly.
Sponsored