Sponsored

2021 JLU Rubicon Engine Misfire (CEL Code - P0302)

Dougie15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon (Sarge Green)
Picked up a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with the 3.6L engine and 6 speed manual on 11/13/20. It's been great through the first 700 miles.

However, on 12/4/20 while driving home after a 50 mile trip I noticed the engine was shaking and running really rough in the last few miles from my house. The Check Engine Light started flashing and beeping at me and unfortunately I had to have it towed back to the dealer. I did check it with a code reader before I dropped it off and it showed CEL Code - P0302 #2 Engine Cylinder Misfire.

Traded in a '17 JKU Sport for it and never had any issues with that vehicle. I have looked around a bit on the forums and have seen the threads with similar issues, so we shall see if my dealer will take it of it properly.

Just wanted to give some transparency on any issues I come across with my new purchase. Really disappointed with the fact that this is $50k vehicle with 10 miles off the lot and I'm already having issues with the engine. But it is what it is and will do my best to keep this post updated to help with anyone who might also run into this issue.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Rubicon Engine Misfire (CEL Code - P0302) IMG_1814.JPG

***Update*** 12/10/20

Picked up the Jeep from the dealership, they told me that they changed the ignition coil on #2 Cylinder. I have only been able to put about a ~100 miles on it since then, but it sounds like it's running smooth again. Hopefully this will be the only issue that comes up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Just wanted to give some transparency on any issues I come across with my new purchase. Really disappointed with the fact that this is $50k vehicle with 10 miles off the lot and I'm already having issues with the engine.
It sucks to have a new vehicle with issues but the breaking in period is when potential defects will show. Better now than when you cross 36,000 miles. Best of luck with the Jeep and hopefully the dealer takes care of you right.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had to the same issues, except I think mine have been a little bit more extensive. Trying to lemon it won't work this early in the stage, BUT once it goes in for repairs contact JeepCares. Tell them about your experience, let them know what you paid and how it's really disheartening blah blah blah, you get the picture...then ask them how they can make it right. Don't let them ask you what they can do, put it on them. There's a high probability you can get a nice mopar bumper to bumper extended warranty out of them for free.

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
There is a thread with a similar problem on the 3.6 engine without the e torque.
Take a look and do share what you find out from the dealer.
Oh btw, mine with less than 400 miles has been in shop since 10/20/20. Hopefully yours isnā€™t as bad. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dougie15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sucks to have a new vehicle with issues but the breaking in period is when potential defects will show. Better now than when you cross 36,000 miles. Best of luck with the Jeep and hopefully the dealer takes care of you right.
I agree, better to find the issues now, than later!

I had to the same issues, except I think mine have been a little bit more extensive. Trying to lemon it won't work this early in the stage, BUT once it goes in for repairs contact JeepCares. Tell them about your experience, let them know what you paid and how it's really disheartening blah blah blah, you get the picture...then ask them how they can make it right. Don't let them ask you what they can do, put it on them. There's a high probability you can get a nice mopar bumper to bumper extended warranty out of them for free.
Thanks for the info about @JeepCares, I will certainly let them know about the incident! The part that frustrates me is that the dealer told me to bring it in Sunday night, so they could look at it first thing Monday morning. When Monday morning came around, they said they most likely won't be able to look at it until Tuesday due to the amount of appointments they have. They said they can't give me a loaner in the meantime either until they've determined what the issue is.

There is a thread with a similar problem on the 3.6 engine without the e torque.
Take a look and do share what you find out from the dealer.
Oh btw, mine with less than 400 miles has been in shop since 10/20/20. Hopefully yours isnā€™t as bad. Good luck.
Thanks for the link! Also, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, hopefully they can get you sorted out with that

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
So the dealer called to tell me my Jeep is now all set after havjng replaced all O2 sensors, valve cover, fuel injector, ignition coil, one spark plug and PCM software update.
As I was about to step on a gas to drive away from the dealer, the CEL comes back. WTF

The field rep working with my dealer says there is a TSB coming out soon for bad spark plugs and recommended that my dealer replace all 6 spark plugs. Sucks due to COVID, all field reps are grounded and have to work with the dealer virtually.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Throwing parts at it....they donā€™t know what caused the problem. They already replaced the ā€œ badā€ spark plug and coil. Did they even test drive it after the repairs. I canā€™t imagine itā€™s a problem with the other spark plugs. They will get it figured out but I would not take it back next time unless itā€™s been driven a bit.... Sorry for your headaches.

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
Update:

Picked up my Jeep after having all six spark plugs replaced per TSB. It seems to be running okay now. I will need to put some more miles before making a final judgment.
Dealer tells me certain 3.6 engines have had wrong spark plugs installed at the factory so the TSB is to replace all spark plugs (I have a manual transmission if it helps).

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I agree, better to find the issues now, than later!

Thanks for the info about @JeepCares, I will certainly let them know about the incident! The part that frustrates me is that the dealer told me to bring it in Sunday night, so they could look at it first thing Monday morning. When Monday morning came around, they said they most likely won't be able to look at it until Tuesday due to the amount of appointments they have. They said they can't give me a loaner in the meantime either until they've determined what the issue is.

Thanks for the link! Also, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, hopefully they can get you sorted out with that
Hey, Dougie15. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. So our team can best assist and dig into this further, please send us a private message with more details.

Kate
JeepCares

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update:

Picked up my Jeep after having all six spark plugs replaced per TSB. It seems to be running okay now. I will need to put some more miles before making a final judgment.
Dealer tells me certain 3.6 engines have had wrong spark plugs installed at the factory so the TSB is to replace all spark plugs (I have a manual transmission if it helps).
Glad to hear everything is taken care of, Beantown. Should you run in to any future concerns, don't hesitate to contact us in private message.

Kate
JeepCares

OP
OP

Dougie15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update:

Hopefully that fixes your issues. I hope the sparkplugs in mine are correct.

Hey, Dougie15. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. So our team can best assist and dig into this further, please send us a private message with more details.

Kate
JeepCares
Hello, Thanks for reaching out! I can certainly provide details.

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
I hope so too.
All good so far after about 100 miles since the repair.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

Picked up my Jeep after having all six spark plugs replaced per TSB.
Glad I got the one that doesn't need spark plugs.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hopefully that fixes your issues. I hope the sparkplugs in mine are correct.

Hello, Thanks for reaching out! I can certainly provide details.
I will keep an eye out for your message, Dougie15.

Kate
JeepCares
Sponsored