2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel Leaking Fuel

t1d3nio

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Whelp coming back from camping pulling my Rpod. My JL seemed like it was losing a little power on some uphill grades. We ended up stopping to grab a bite. When I turned her off I noticed smoke coming from under the hood. I popped the hood open and sure enough smoke is rolling out. I look under and there is a large pile of liquid dripping and everything from the engine back is covered. Turns out to be diesel leaking.

I called the roadside assistance to have it towed to the nearest dealership and 4 hours later it was finally picked up. No help to pull the trailer anywhere and my wife and 4 month old son luckily got picked up by some nearby family. My buddy came and towed my camper home. Pretty disappointed as I just hit 2k miles on my nearly 70k rigā€¦

Anyone else have similar issues?
Sponsored

OP
OP
t1d3nio

t1d3nio

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Follow up, been at the dealer since Monday and still havenā€™t even looked at itā€¦..

edit: just got a call and the fuel return line was broken / disconnected, still figuring out what itā€™s going to take to fix

Last edited:
OP
OP
t1d3nio

t1d3nio

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Final follow up, a factory retaining clip for the fuel return line was not properly secured and the line came loose causing the large leak. They secured the existing retaining clip and reattached.

Edit: they used the existing clip, apparently it was not secured properly from the factory

Last edited:

JoffeyJLUR

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon on order
Final follow up, a factory retaining clip for the fuel return line failed and the line came loose causing the large leak. They secured a new retaining clip and reattached.
Iā€™m having this same issue now. I had a soft top to hard top conversion done at my dealershipā€™s service station and noticed a diesel smell on my way home.

The tech diagnosed it as a leaking fuel return line. Iā€™m still waiting to hear when they will be able to get the part to fix it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
t1d3nio

t1d3nio

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Can you share the part number from your final invoice?
Looks like they used the existing retaining clip, they told me it wasnā€™t secured properly from the factory. So no part number, Sorry for the confusion.

SFWSCX3

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 05 Cayenne Turbo, 14 X5 D 21 JLURD
sorry to hear about the issue. Iā€™m glad it was a simple fix. Was it in a location where you can take a picture? Iā€™m picking mine up later today and would like to check if itā€™s accessible. Thanks

OP
OP
t1d3nio

t1d3nio

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
sorry to hear about the issue. Iā€™m glad it was a simple fix. Was it in a location where you can take a picture? Iā€™m picking mine up later today and would like to check if itā€™s accessible. Thanks
It's not, its tucked way back by the turbo. I put about 1500 miles on it since and haven't had an issue, my service tech said he checked all the other clips as well

SFWSCX3

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 05 Cayenne Turbo, 14 X5 D 21 JLURD
It's not, its tucked way back by the turbo. I put about 1500 miles on it since and haven't had an issue, my service tech said he checked all the other clips as well
Thanks for the response. Glad its running without issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
t1d3nio

t1d3nio

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Do you have regret going with the diesel?
Not yet, the derating sucks.. i'm doing a long trip to CO pulling my camper and doing some trails next week, depending on how it does will determine if I regret buying it or not haha