Sponsored

2021 JLU Already Towed to Dealer at 114 miles on the odo. Owned less than 2 hours... WTH

Air Uncle P

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU Bright White
Have been on these forums doing research on everything since the family decided it was time for a Jeep. I've read posts that made me pause about even ordering.

Well I just ordered my first JLUR a week ago. I must say the first thing I will be checking on delivery is the fuses. For Sure!
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
He called me back ~10 mins later and said he's paying that wrecker to tow my Jeep to the nearest CDJ dealership
Wait... This whole time your Jeep haven't been at a CDJ dealership?

PokerMunkee

First Name
Poker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 XK 5.7 QD-II
Glad you got a resolution to the problem! This is just super discouraging because I’m literally contemplating buying a 2021 High Altitude but after reading all the numerous issues with them in general, idk anymore.

It’s crazy to think that a brand new 2021 vehicle would have such a major issue! They’ve had so many years to get it right but then I still go back to my original saying, they are Chrysler’s lol! Good luck with everything!
Get the bulletproof 3.6 and you'll be fine. Plus, no premium fuel is a huge bonus and pays for the price difference.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not saying there isn’t one but it seems like a lot of issues with the jeeps are with brand new models. I’m not saying that each make of cars don’t have a set of problems on their own,. My brand new Camaro’s computer system went after a month of having it. I get it but when you’re ready to fork over 50k + on a brand new vehicle and there’s a shit ton of major things that have been reported, it makes you think twice about buying it.
I had a '97 Pontiac Firebird that had a plastic synchronizer in the transmission that went out in the first 1,200 miles, they had to put a new transmission in it... That was my first new car major issue, but at least it was covered by warranty. Still a pain to deal with though.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Get the bulletproof 3.6 and you'll be fine. Plus, no premium fuel is a huge bonus and pays for the price difference.
Premium fuel? I have the 4cyl 2.0L Turbo, never used premium fuel and it has a little over 27,000 on it in just under 14 months.

Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Welcome to the Jeep Life. My new Jeep spent weeks at different dealers trying to fix steering issues, rear axle issues. etc. Jeep's buying it back.

MidwestMrs

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude
I feel your pain. At 800 miles my 2020 Sahara Altitude started crapping out. It had 10 miles on it when I picked it up. It has 3000 miles on it and has been in the shop 7 different times for 5 different things. I've been in contact with Jeep Cares but after awhile, they stopped returning my emails/calls?!? I'm still waiting for a replacement radio and the steering- while the box was replaced, still has way too much play in it. These problems take the joy out of Jeep ownership!

jet70

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Uggg. I’m picking up my 2021 JLUR tomorrow. All of the sudden I’m nervous.

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
I enjoyed this thread and got a good laugh at Tankers input. He is a good writer. I feel for him and the situation. So frustrating and maddening, but kept his cool. I have had several Jeep’s over the years and each and every one of them has had issues, some factory some not but issues regardless. If you can’t handle breakdowns and breaks you shouldn’t buy a jeep.

mlugo.apx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There is common items “thread” that seems to be at the root of the electrical issues (and the problems they cause) many of us are having. That is the main fuse box and improperly seated fuses and or poor grounding. Both Jeep has been aware of for some time now.
Finally went out to the garage to check my fuses and was quite surprised at how many I had to firmly seat. I currently have 704 miles and no issues to report so far (knock on wood).

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
Alright, update time!

Drum roll, please...

Mountain Valley says it was a...

wait for it...

Bad throttle body.

(had to have a little fun here)

Not loose fuses or something simple like that (at least that doesn't make me kick myself for not having my roadside toolkit on hand...).

The part is being shipped from Atlanta and installed (hopefully) tomorrow. Made sure the dealer knew I want to see the odometer with at least 20+ miles on it when I got the Jeep back (really should ask them to put another 114 on it...).

Surprised it's just that and not also some wiring harness or something, but this might also only be the start of the repair.

When I asked how they discerned it was the throttle body, I was told it was based on the error codes the Jeep was throwing. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they ruled out bad grounds (or loose fuses).

Also, I mention it below, but I do have to give a hat tip to FCA corporate at this moment in the process.

I'm pretty sure @JeepCares informed them about my situation since last night I got a call from a Mike MacDonald at FCA in Warren, MI.

Mike wanted to make sure I was being taken care of and to let me know he is going to be personally staying on top of this situation for me.

To his credit, he's already spoken with Mountain Valley this morning about the repair needed and said he was calling into his Parts contact to make sure they knew to expedite the replacement throttle body.

He also wanted to let me know that he'll periodically check in with me after the repair is done in order to make sure all is well with the Jeep.

Hopefully, the repair is straightforward and I'm a happy (enough) camper again and have many trouble-free years with my new Wrangler (setting down my lemon pitchfork for now, based on how FCA, the finance manager, and the repairing dealer have handled this situation at this point).

I'll hope to update this thread either tomorrow afternoon or the next day with news from Mountain Valley on my repair.

On a related note, is there any internal engine damage that could occur from a faulty throttle body?

Want to make sure I know what I should be on the lookout for if so (the only thing I could find on that was possible catalytic converter damage. But that would be from long-term throttle body issues dumping too much fuel into the system).

I think Darlene at JeepCares escalated this for me since I got a call from Mike MacDonald at FCA corporate office in Warren, MI last night to talk with me about what was going on.

Ah, sorry for the confusion here. Yep, I live in Knox County, TN but I bought the Jeep from a dealer in GA. All my local dealers wanted to play games and not give me the right price (or even a price without me coming in), but the dealer in GA right away said "here's your price". Needless to say, that won my business enough to make the 4-hour trek to that GA dealer.

Since I bought the Jeep in GA, I'm pretty sure GA law would supersede any TN law (their Consumer Rights look about the same anyway).
Did the throttle body repair get everything fixed up for you?

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I understand your frustration - and you have every right to expect better. That said when I signed on the dotted line for my purchase I knew it was a roll of the dice; FCA quality and dealer service ranks among the worst. I only have 6,000 miles on my wrangler which have been mostly problem free expect for some minor electrical gremlins. You and I are part of the problem however because we didn’t let our quality concerns stop us from buying. Until that happens more widely FCA will not be compelled to improve. Let’s face it, the profits on the wrangler are so high they can afford huge warranty claims....they really don’t care....it’s just a game of playing the odds for them.
The new Bronco will definitely will weaken Jeep sales. GM will get into this market too . If Gm would of purchased Jeep yrs ago we wouldn't be having the headaches we do. End of subject !

TJ_Rubi

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota 4Runner, 2017 Acura RDX, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Just my experience - but my 2019 JLUR has been flawless - only have about 9k miles on it which is low mileage - but not one issue I've experienced yet. 3.6L totally stock everything. Zero complaints here but I feel for folks that have issues - can be incredibly frustrating when you spend that kind of coin.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I really hope the new throttle body fixes OP’s Jeep, but this story sounds like the beginning of mine. I had random failures that seemed unrelated. Auto park disengaged, CEL, service ESP, stop safely vehicle will shut off soon, loss of power while driving, on and on.

First fix at the first dealer, they weresure it was the batteries. (Also damaged my fender causing it to need to be repainted)

second fix at the first dealer was the starter. They were sure it was the fix.

Third fix at second dealer...codes point bad PCM, new transmission valve body.

fourth fix at second dealer...bad transmission valve body first go around, another new one installed.

this fix made it the longest of all if them, but ultimately it wasn’t the issue either. 20 miles later, all the symptoms returned.

I was the second owner, so no lemon law. It was still under warranty, though, and they took it in at market value on a trade. the last I heard they were waiting on a new gear shifter. Yea, that’ll fix it.

I do believe there was a simple, random electrical problem waiting for a diagnosis looming somewhere, just not within any Mopar tech’s reach. At least not one that touched my Jeep. And no fix was going to give me long term confidence in that vehicle.

Jeep cares turned out to be useless, after I initially was happy with them. I went through two reps, the second was worse than the first. No returned calls. No answers.

and yes, of course the vehicle I traded it for was a 2021 JLU. I guess I just like misery. But I’ll never buy another used-new one. Only new-new ones from here on out.
Sponsored