Sponsored

2021 JLU Already Towed to Dealer at 114 miles on the odo. Owned less than 2 hours... WTH

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That’s a pretty uncommon failure, is t more than likely was a throttle position sensor or throttle motor circuit code, they’re pretty simple to diagnose and replace. The position sensor is not serviced separately on this motor, you’ll probably never know what really went wrong.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thank you for the update, @tankers! We are happy to hear that your case manager has been in touch with you and that the dealer is working towards a remedy. Please feel free to PM us in the future if you have any other concerns.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I think some free jeep swag should be in order from @JeepCares :) :)

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Sorry I had to laugh when I read “throttle body”. The first dealership told me mine had the same thing wrong....and well they were wrong.

Hope yours is right?

Last edited:

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
In a situation like that, I always disconnect the battery, wait, and reconnect. I've been surprised, over the years, how often that works. Likely not in your case, but it would have been worth a try.
Yeah! The ESS system is crap, I took off both neg cables and it was still live, FCA should make it clear (pictures please) yes I went to all the forums

Rhonda13

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Camaro LT
Glad you got a resolution to the problem! This is just super discouraging because I’m literally contemplating buying a 2021 High Altitude but after reading all the numerous issues with them in general, idk anymore.

It’s crazy to think that a brand new 2021 vehicle would have such a major issue! They’ve had so many years to get it right but then I still go back to my original saying, they are Chrysler’s lol! Good luck with everything!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Glad you got a resolution to the problem! This is just super discouraging because I’m literally contemplating buying a 2021 High Altitude but after reading all the numerous issues with them in general, idk anymore.

It’s crazy to think that a brand new 2021 vehicle would have such a major issue! They’ve had so many years to get it right but then I still go back to my original saying, they are Chrysler’s lol! Good luck with everything!
If you are able to find a car brand that doesn't have a forum with unsatisfied owners speaking up, please let us know.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
If you are able to find a car brand that doesn't have a forum with unsatisfied owners speaking up, please let us know.
The thing is, most car brands have forms filled with "unsatisfied customers."

Most car brands do not have forums filled with people complaining that their new vehicle just left them stranded on the side of the road, or that they were warned while driving that they needed to pull over because their car was about to shut itself off.

This is, of course, particularly troubling when the vehicle is specifically designed to be one that will take you as far out into the middle of nowhere as you can get.

Couple that with the fact that the average selling price of these vehicles is one that only a few years ago would've gotten you a high-end luxury vehicle, and you can see where the dissatisfaction comes in.

Saying something is a "Jeep thing" starts to wear when you are have just paid over $60,000.

Then there are things like the wire attachment to the rear window defroster continually falling off, when auto makers have been making heated window glass for over half a century now and Jeep in particular has been making heated window glass for Wrangler tops for decades.

Or axle seal leaks because they know some axle shafts are out of spec and leave it to owners to complain rather than check each axle shaft before it ever gets into a customer's hands.

Or…

Juforrest

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Taco Truck
Fingers crossed it all works out. I joined this forum just a few days ago to read up on the good and bad. I’ve been down the crappy car road with a 2007 Xterra. It broke down the first time with just over 200 miles on the Odo. Really don’t want to do that again, but I really want a JLU with the Ecodiesel. Good luck.

Sponsored

Rhonda13

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Camaro LT
I’m not saying there isn’t one but it seems like a lot of issues with the jeeps are with brand new models. I’m not saying that each make of cars don’t have a set of problems on their own,. My brand new Camaro’s computer system went after a month of having it. I get it but when you’re ready to fork over 50k + on a brand new vehicle and there’s a shit ton of major things that have been reported, it makes you think twice about buying it.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2020 Outback prior to this, and there were a few users whose new cars died on them too on those forums. It happens to any and all brands, but it sure sucks if it's you that it happens to...
Yep, brother bought a 1980 F150 and I drove it around the block the day he bought it. The driver side coil spring snapped. If he hadn't been with me, he'd blamed me for raising caine in his new truck. Still had a hard time convincing the dealership the spring broke with less than 50 miles on the odometer by just driving on paved streets.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR

There is common items “thread” that seems to be at the root of the electrical issues (and the problems they cause) many of us are having. That is the main fuse box and improperly seated fuses and or poor grounding. Both Jeep has been aware of for some time now.

These are simple “Quality Inspection” fixes but Jeep only does random batch testing of the assembled fuse boxes(which I am sure come pre assembled from their supplier, probably in China), they don’t check every one. It’s simple math to them, it’s cheaper to warranty the issue then inspect each fuse box for proper fuse installation. Heck they should at least make checking the fuses for proper seating part of the dealership PDI, but that would be admitting there is a possible issue.

Until someone gets badly hurt or killed there is no economic reason to improve their inspections either during manufacturing or at the dealership level.

All that said, if you move ahead with a JL purchase just make sure the dealership double checks the main fuses for proper seating prior to you taking delivery. This will go a long way towards having a reliable Jeep. Other small issues will come up they alway do with Jeep Wrangler (I own/owned six of them over the last 35 years) but those issues don’t typically leave you stranded, or endanger you.

One thing is for sure your JL ownership will be an exciting adventure.....either way.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
What you pay has no bearing on how well it will work. Jeep sell hundreds of thousands of these vehicles at 50 grand plus. A very small percentage will have issues even when brand new. I'm sorry you had this issue but warranty should take care of it. My 19 JLR has been flawless. Hope you get it taken care of.
Sponsored