Sponsored

2021 JLU Already Towed to Dealer at 114 miles on the odo. Owned less than 2 hours... WTH

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Even old faithful Toyota has dumb issues that they don’t take care of in assembly. When the 2nd gen Tacoma’s came out, the ones with the tow package did not have enough fluid in the transmission. That started in 05 and when I bought my 2013 still an issue, when my buddy bought his 2018 still an issue.(along with several other issues) Bottom line is it’s a cool rig so try to enjoy it.
Were those Tacomas made in Japan?

It's the QC in the Japanese factories that have given Toyota much of their initial quality reputation.

Even with Lexus RX 350s, the ones that were made in Japan had fewer issues than those made in Canada.

Still even there, there is a massive philosophical difference between Toyota and Jeep.

Jeep's attitude seems to be "Just ship them, if there's something wrong they can have it fixed under warranty but they might not notice."
Sponsored

Juforrest

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Taco Truck
Were those Tacomas made in Japan?

It's the QC in the Japanese factories that have given Toyota much of their initial quality reputation.

Even with Lexus RX 350s, the ones that were made in Japan had fewer issues than those made in Canada.

Still even there, there is a massive philosophical difference between Toyota and Jeep.

Jeep's attitude seems to be "Just ship them, if there's something wrong they can have it fixed under warranty but they might not notice."
The the only Japan built 4x4 Toyota here in the US is the Land cruiser which stopped being cool with the birth of the 100 series.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If the broker fails to secure the load by Friday, I might request that option (Enterprise still picks you up, right? :) )
Enterprise delivered a new loaner Nissan Altima to my driveway, so I could remain mobile, whilst my truck was sitting at the dealer. (That base model Nissan had perhaps the most comfortable cloth seats I've ever experienced.)

One of the dealer's "technicians" had stripped the transmission drain plug. The truck had to sit there while the service dept. waited for a full Time-Sert repair kit to arrive so that the fix was done correctly. Admittedly, the entire affair was just a mild inconvenience for me.

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Just my experience - but my 2019 JLUR has been flawless - only have about 9k miles on it which is low mileage - but not one issue I've experienced yet. 3.6L totally stock everything. Zero complaints here but I feel for folks that have issues - can be incredibly frustrating when you spend that kind of coin.
My 2019 has 20K and everything is excellent. 🤷🏻‍♂️

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Sorry to add to this, but I would do nearly ANYTHING to NOT have your Jeep trucked back to you. No offense to anyone, but those guys are not super careful with much of anything as they are normally just getting the job done. Short of a specialty hauler (car hauler), I'm not letting them touch my Jeep EVER! I understand your issue, but... Do the one way rental idea. Just my opinion. I really think you're opening yourself up to more issues you don't need.
My thoughts exactly.

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The the only Japan built 4x4 Toyota here in the US is the Land cruiser which stopped being cool with the birth of the 100 series.
The OP mentioned Tacomas going back to 2005 and I wasn't sure if those were made here or in Japan.

The FJ Cruiser was made in Japan for its entire run, and the US model 4Runner has never been made outside Japan.

Only the Tacoma and Tundra trucks have been built in North America along with crossovers like the Lexus RX 350 and the RAV4.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
after reading about this issue, i checked my fusebox before i started it up on the dealers lot when i picked it up.
every relay was loose, as were about half the fuses.

experience over the years has also taught me to check wheel lug nuts, and to be fair, they loosen up under normal use after the first installation. sure enough, before mile 1, i found torque values all over the place. one wheel with all over tight, and the rest variable enough that some nuts were just over finger-tight.

surprisingly, they got the tire pressures close to dead-on!

after a couple of decades around J**ps, i believe the old adage that J**ps are Built, not Bought.
what gets delivered to you when you buy one is just what you're going to start working with.

Yes, I pushed on each one and surprised at the movement I felt. Clearly someone/something at the factory needs to be retrained on how to insert and seat fuses.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
after reading about this issue, i checked my fusebox before i started it up on the dealers lot when i picked it up.
every relay was loose, as were about half the fuses.

experience over the years has also taught me to check wheel lug nuts, and to be fair, they loosen up under normal use after the first installation. sure enough, before mile 1, i found torque values all over the place. one wheel with all over tight, and the rest variable enough that some nuts were just over finger-tight.

surprisingly, they got the tire pressures close to dead-on!

after a couple of decades around J**ps, i believe the old adage that J**ps are Built, not Bought.
what gets delivered to you when you buy one is just what you're going to start working with.
But you shouldn’t have to “build” essential mechanical/electrical parts... those should come properly installed on any vehicle...

Sponsored

OP
OP
tankers

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
(Hopefully) Final Update for this thread.

So, you all guilted me into picking up the Jeep instead of having it trucked back to me.

OK, that's not entirely true. :)

The broker FCA used was unable to get a carrier to take the job by Thursday afternoon, so I asked my FCA liaison to cancel the freight job (I wanted my darn Jeep!).

Opted to just rent a one-way to Blue Ridge, GA, and get the Jeep on Friday (rental being reimbursed by FCA, FWIW).

Well, she's home!

Seems to be running fine and now has 300 miles on the odometer.

To add to that, my FCA liaison, Mike MacDonald, called and emailed me this morning to let me know that he wanted to make sure I had total peace of mind with my Jeep.

So he added a 7 year / 100,000-mile warranty (Maximum Care Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan) to my Jeep (which he and I both hope I never have to really use).

:clap:

I'm told MSRP on that is around $3,500; plus, it's transferable if I need to sell the Jeep for some reason (you know, to buy a JMU in 2026 :P).

And here I joked with my wife that I was probably just going to get a tote bag and a t-shirt for my troubles!

While the experience started off pretty rocky, I'm now very impressed with FCA (namely Mike MacDonald) taking care of me here. Honestly, Mike's turned this all around for me and now I'm excited about the Jeep again (and thank God I don't have to cancel the ACE rock sliders I ordered on Black Friday!).

Hopefully, the forum only has to hear about my awesome experiences moving forward with my Jeep and the Trail Badges I earn.

Thanks for tuning in, folks!

See you on the trails.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Already Towed to Dealer at 114 miles on the odo. Owned less than 2 hours... WTH IMG-8493

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual

So, you all guilted me into picking up the Jeep instead of having it trucked back to me.

The broker FCA used was unable to get a carrier to take the job by Thursday afternoon, so I asked my FCA liaison to cancel the freight job (I wanted my darn Jeep!).

Glad everything worked out for you.
I also picked up my Jeep last week and have had no issues after 200 miles since.
Good luck!
Opted to just rent a one-way to Blue Ridge, GA, and get the Jeep on Friday (rental being reimbursed by FCA, FWIW).

Well, she's home!

To add to that, my FCA liaison, Mike MacDonald, called and emailed me this morning to let me know that he wanted to make sure I had total peace of mind with my Jeep.

So he added a 7 year / 100,000-mile warranty (Maximum Care Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan) to my Jeep (which he and I both hope I never have to really use).

I'm told MSRP on that is around $3,500; plus, it's transferable if I need to sell the Jeep for some reason (you know, to buy a JMU in 2026 :P).

And here I joked with my wife that I was probably just going to get a tote bag and a t-shirt for my troubles!

While the experience started off pretty rocky, I'm now very impressed with FCA (namely Mike MacDonald) taking care of me here. Honestly, Mike's turned this all around for me and now I'm excited about the Jeep again (and thank God I don't have to cancel the ACE rock sliders I ordered on Black Friday!).

Hopefully, the forum only has to hear about my awesome experiences moving forward with my Jeep and the Trail Badges I earn.

See you on the trails.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLU Already Towed to Dealer at 114 miles on the odo. Owned less than 2 hours... WTH IMG-8493

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Guilty. ✋

Well said, thank you.

Yeah, my contract was signed at the dealer in GA (so GA state law applies). Based on my Googling, there's no 3-day cooling-off period for cars in GA (only door to door sales as you mentioned), and the 30-day time frame is the length of time a vehicle is out of service for grounds to file for Lemon Law, to my understanding.

Starting day 3 for me, I suppose...

That's an interesting twist about in-home signing though. I wonder how that works for contracts signed electronically in your home?

Hope to hear from the repairing dealer this morning (assuming my Jeep got picked up and towed there now...).
At this stage Lemon Law and Buy Back is way premature. Give the dealer an opportunity to fix the issue(s) and then go from there. Asking opinions on this forum could put you into a mental hospital.

Bottom line, it's yours...get if fixed....move on. Enough with the drama.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Well, she's home!

See you on the trails.

Frank, thanks for the follow-up. So often people have problems, everyone gets riled up, and we don't hear the all's-well-that-ends-well conclusion. Vehicles have problems, but FCA seemed to have made it good.

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I personally would NOT have anybody "truck" my Jeep back to me. I would NOT want anybody except the dealer driving my Jeep, or "trucking" it anywhere. You are just asking for trouble/issues/more problems, by having a 3rd party (trucking company or drivers) delivering your brand new Jeep.

Scratches, dents, late arrival, lost, are just a few of the issues I can imagine with having a 3rd party delivery. Having some teenage delivery driver hotrodding my new Jeep, unbeknownst to me, would also be one of my worries.

I would bite the bullet, and rent a car, or have a friend or relative drive me to the dealer, so I could drive MY Jeep back home myself.
What he said..
Sponsored