Sponsored

2021 JLU Already Towed to Dealer at 114 miles on the odo. Owned less than 2 hours... WTH

Anibal

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 2.0 2019
I'm sorry about you. I hope I don't go through anything serious with my Jeep Sahara 2019. I had a problem turning on light on the problem panel on the 4WD. A small engine has been changed that is attached to the transmission box and the cause has been eliminated, problem solved. The exchange took place by warranty. My Jeep is 28,000 miles in 15 months. Here in Brazil the dealerships know little about this vehicle, a more serious problem can complicate for us owners. Successful repair of your vehicle.
Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Youā€™ll be ok, youā€™ve got a 50/50 shot at getting a good onešŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬
Before you hand over the cash take it for a test drive to make sure you don't have any steering issues such as play in the steering wheel etc. Next check the paint top to bottom then open up the hood look for any possible fluid leaks on or below . If it was me I'd get a written agreement with the Dealer if the paint blisters anywhere and needs paint work that they do a buyback . You don't want a patched up paint job and looking like a checkerboard . I know how Dealers are once they get your money their done and one I' m talking about is a sponsor for this Forum Dave Dennis worst fu*king Dealer there is . They wouldn't even return calls to Jeep cares shows how much they care. Look on Yelp reviews 2 stars tells it all !

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
The new Bronco will definitely will weaken Jeep sales. GM will get into this market too . If Gm would of purchased Jeep yrs ago we wouldn't be having the headaches we do. End of subject !
Correct, we would only have the headache of it only lasting 65,000 miles before everything gave out... LOL

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Evidence is increasingly mounting that these tech heavy models have no place in remote terrain other than participating in a safari where other vehicles are close by. Moreover, the dealer I bought my TJR from last Feb says his inventory of old tech (TJ) Jeeps appreciates every month. His lot is two blocks from an FCA dealership.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
tankers

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Alrighty, update time!

So, the repairing dealer got the new throttle body on Friday afternoon and either installed it that day or on Monday (not 100% sure when repair occurred).

Talked with the asst service manager at the repairing dealer yesterday morning and was assured the new throttle body remedied the issues encountered.

To give me more assurance there, they drove the Jeep for a total of 75 miles yesterday (Monday).

They ran it in three "splits". First, for 20 miles, let it rest for a hour, then another 20 miles, rest, then for 35 miles.

Said zero issues occurred in any of the runs.

Well, good enough for now.

Asked my FCA case manager, Mike, if they could help me get the Jeep back up to me in Tennessee.

While it's only ~120 miles, 2 hours from me, I did not want to reconfigure my week to carve out 1/2+ day to do something I shouldn't have had to figure out in the first place.

Mike said, "sure, not a problem."

Cool.

About an hour later, I get a call from a freight broker to confirm delivery windows (nice!) but when I asked when I should get the Jeep, she was unable to tell me that since they were just bidding out the move (oh...).

As of 10:30 AM this morning (Tuesday), no carrier has picked up the job yet (I called the broker) but hope one does soon.

Truckers seldom like short-hauls (plus they'll have to deal with about 30 miles of mountainous terrain), so I may end up trekking down to GA this weekend to get the Jeep anyway if no one takes the job.

So, hopefully when I get my Jeep back (this week?) there will be zero additional horror stories from me (you know, probably not until 37 months and 35,812 miles from now...).

Although, based on other forums and comments (thanks @Fsttanks @YippieKiYayMrFalcon ) I don't have the warm fuzzies there right now...

Sorry I had to laugh when I read ā€œthrottle bodyā€. The first dealership I told mine that the same thing.....and well they were wrong.

Hope yours is right?
Awesome... crossing my fingers my repairing dealer was right...
There is common items ā€œthreadā€ that seems to be at the root of the electrical issues (and the problems they cause) many of us are having. That is the main fuse box and improperly seated fuses and or poor grounding. Both Jeep has been aware of for some time now.

These are simple ā€œQuality Inspectionā€ fixes but Jeep only does random batch testing of the assembled fuse boxes(which I am sure come pre assembled from their supplier, probably in China), they donā€™t check every one. Itā€™s simple math to them, itā€™s cheaper to warranty the issue then inspect each fuse box for proper fuse installation. Heck they should at least make checking the fuses for proper seating part of the dealership PDI, but that would be admitting there is a possible issue.

Until someone gets badly hurt or killed there is no economic reason to improve their inspections either during manufacturing or at the dealership level.

All that said, if you move ahead with a JL purchase just make sure the dealership double checks the main fuses for proper seating prior to you taking delivery. This will go a long way towards having a reliable Jeep. Other small issues will come up they alway do with Jeep Wrangler (I own/owned six of them over the last 35 years) but those issues donā€™t typically leave you stranded, or endanger you.

One thing is for sure your JL ownership will be an exciting adventure.....either way.
One of the things I heard multiple times from the dealers (selling and repairing) before the issue was diagnosed was that it was likely a grounding issue. Something about the grounds getting painted over and causing shorts.

Doesn't sound like that was my issue here, but why is that a common thing enough that it's a go-to suggestion? Seems like a really dumb QA thing to occur...

I know they are slammed with demand but wish Jeep/FCA would follow more of the Toyota Way and encourage employees to "pull the stop cord" on any vehicle/part they spot a defect with and then really fix the root cause of the defect.
Wait... This whole time your Jeep haven't been at a CDJ dealership?
Well, it didn't get to a dealership until Wednesday (bought it on Monday). Part of breaking down in a fairly remote area.

In all honesty, I might try to make a map of all CDJ dealers in the Southeast to keep in the Jeep so I know to tell a tow truck "Take it here!" instead of "take me to your shop and let me try to figure out WTH I'm supposed to do now."

Learning experience, right? :)
Get the bulletproof 3.6 and you'll be fine. Plus, no premium fuel is a huge bonus and pays for the price difference.
You know, I am somewhat regretting the 2.0 over the 3.6 choice (although the 3.6 have their issues too). Thought the turbo would be more fun (which it seemed to be in the 2 hours I've driven the JLU).

My wife has a JKU and there is a noticeable difference in the pickup between the two.

Plus, you know, didn't want to drop another $1.5k...

Reading about disintegrating turbos that aren't getting repaired quickly has the hair standing up on the back of my neck though...
Premium fuel? I have the 4cyl 2.0L Turbo, never used premium fuel and it has a little over 27,000 on it in just under 14 months.
To my understanding, the ECU will compensate for whatever octane of unleaded you throw in it, you just get more "umpf" with the premium octane since the 2.0 can produce a little more HP and torque with it.

I'm no vehicle scientist though...
Welcome to the Jeep Life. My new Jeep spent weeks at different dealers trying to fix steering issues, rear axle issues. etc. Jeep's buying it back.
Ugh, sorry to hear that. Are you going to get another Wrangler or are you walking away from the brand for a bit?
I feel your pain. At 800 miles my 2020 Sahara Altitude started crapping out. It had 10 miles on it when I picked it up. It has 3000 miles on it and has been in the shop 7 different times for 5 different things. I've been in contact with Jeep Cares but after awhile, they stopped returning my emails/calls?!? I'm still waiting for a replacement radio and the steering- while the box was replaced, still has way too much play in it. These problems take the joy out of Jeep ownership!
Oof, that's ridiculous. Sorry to hear you've gotten dragged around so much with it! I hope you get taken care of soon (finally). Did you buy new? If so, any idea how many days total you've been without the Jeep?
Uggg. Iā€™m picking up my 2021 JLUR tomorrow. All of the sudden Iā€™m nervous.
A little late now, but if you think you'll be without a cellphone signal anywhere, bring a map that is marked with the closest CDJ dealerships so you know where to get towed to right away!
I enjoyed this thread and got a good laugh at Tankers input. He is a good writer. I feel for him and the situation. So frustrating and maddening, but kept his cool. I have had several Jeepā€™s over the years and each and every one of them has had issues, some factory some not but issues regardless. If you canā€™t handle breakdowns and breaks you shouldnā€™t buy a jeep.
Thanks, Rocky! Figured I should give back the best way I can since I lurked on the forum quite a bit before I pulled the trigger on buying the Jeep (and more during the ~7 weeks I waited for it to get built).

We've got the 2013 JKU, so know a little about pouring money into these machines.

However, it just feels maddening to have these types and percentages of QA issues in this day and age (I have a logistics/supply chain background, so I might care just a little too much!).
Finally went out to the garage to check my fuses and was quite surprised at how many I had to firmly seat. I currently have 704 miles and no issues to report so far (knock on wood).
Go figure! When the Jeep gets home (or if I have to go get it...) opening the hood and checking fuses will be done right away (even if my problem is fixed).

Did you just push down on the fuses to seat them?

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Alrighty, update time!

So, the repairing dealer got the new throttle body on Friday afternoon and either installed it that day or on Monday (not 100% sure when repair occurred).

Talked with the asst service manager at the repairing dealer yesterday morning and was assured the new throttle body remedied the issues encountered.

To give me more assurance there, they drove the Jeep for a total of 75 miles yesterday (Monday).

They ran it in three "splits". First, for 20 miles, let it rest for a hour, then another 20 miles, rest, then for 35 miles.

Said zero issues occurred in any of the runs.

Well, good enough for now.

Asked my FCA case manager, Mike, if they could help me get the Jeep back up to me in Tennessee.

While it's only ~120 miles, 2 hours from me, I did not want to reconfigure my week to carve out 1/2+ day to do something I shouldn't have had to figure out in the first place.

Cool.

About an hour later, I get a call from a freight broker to confirm delivery windows (nice!) but when I asked when I should get the Jeep, she was unable to tell me that since they were just bidding out the move (oh...).

As of 10:30 AM this morning (Tuesday), no carrier has picked up the job yet (I called the broker) but hope one does soon.

Truckers seldom like short-hauls (plus they'll have to deal with about 30 miles of mountainous terrain), so I may end up trekking down to GA this weekend to get the Jeep anyway if no one takes the job.

So, hopefully when I get my Jeep back (this week?) there will be zero additional horror stories from me (you know, probably not until 37 months and 35,812 miles from now...).

Although, based on other forums and comments (thanks @Fsttanks @YippieKiYayMrFalcon ) I don't have the warm fuzzies there right now...

Awesome... crossing my fingers my repairing dealer was right...

One of the things I heard multiple times from the dealers (selling and repairing) before the issue was diagnosed was that it was likely a grounding issue. Something about the grounds getting painted over and causing shorts.

Doesn't sound like that was my issue here, but why is that a common thing enough that it's a go-to suggestion? Seems like a really dumb QA thing to occur...

I know they are slammed with demand but wish Jeep/FCA would follow more of the Toyota Way and encourage employees to "pull the stop cord" on any vehicle/part they spot a defect with and then really fix the root cause of the defect.

Well, it didn't get to a dealership until Wednesday (bought it on Monday). Part of breaking down in a fairly remote area.

In all honesty, I might try to make a map of all CDJ dealers in the Southeast to keep in the Jeep so I know to tell a tow truck "Take it here!" instead of "take me to your shop and let me try to figure out WTH I'm supposed to do now."

Learning experience, right? :)

You know, I am somewhat regretting the 2.0 over the 3.6 choice (although the 3.6 have their issues too). Thought the turbo would be more fun (which it seemed to be in the 2 hours I've driven the JLU).

My wife has a JKU and there is a noticeable difference in the pickup between the two.

Plus, you know, didn't want to drop another $1.5k...

Reading about disintegrating turbos that aren't getting repaired quickly has the hair standing up on the back of my neck though...

To my understanding, the ECU will compensate for whatever octane of unleaded you throw in it, you just get more "umpf" with the premium octane since the 2.0 can produce a little more HP and torque with it.

I'm no vehicle scientist though...

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Are you going to get another Wrangler or are you walking away from the brand for a bit?

Oof, that's ridiculous. Sorry to hear you've gotten dragged around so much with it! I hope you get taken care of soon (finally). Did you buy new? If so, any idea how many days total you've been without the Jeep?

A little late now, but if you think you'll be without a cellphone signal anywhere, bring a map that is marked with the closest CDJ dealerships so you know where to get towed to right away!

Thanks, Rocky! Figured I should give back the best way I can since I lurked on the forum quite a bit before I pulled the trigger on buying the Jeep (and more during the ~7 weeks I waited for it to get built).

We've got the 2013 JKU, so know a little about pouring money into these machines.

However, it just feels maddening to have these types and percentages of QA issues in this day and age (I have a logistics/supply chain background, so I might care just a little too much!).

Go figure! When the Jeep gets home (or if I have to go get it...) opening the hood and checking fuses will be done right away (even if my problem is fixed).

Awesome update. Donā€™t let my sob story get you feeling anxious. Your dealer sounds like they are doing the right things. If they actually put 70 miles on it (check the odometer), Iā€™d feel comfortable if I were you. My issues all reappeared pretty immediately after each ā€œrepair.ā€ One as little as 1 mile away, others as far as about 20-30. But all within one on-off-on again cycle.

Lots of luck getting your Jeep home soon!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Get the bulletproof 3.6 and you'll be fine. Plus, no premium fuel is a huge bonus and pays for the price difference.
In the fall of 2011 I bought one of the first Pentastar-equipped Wranglers. At that time the same level of angst was expressed about that engine. I sure don't think that the term bullet-proof was bandied about at that time (it's unproven. It's a Fiat engine. It's made in Italy!!!) :) But...things worked out just fine.

If people want to fret, they will find something to worry about. Don't.

Carpe Jeepiem

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Have them pay for a one way rental car. I am sure they would do that for you.

OP
OP
tankers

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Awesome update. Donā€™t let my sob story get you feeling anxious. Your dealer sounds like they are doing the right things. If they actually put 70 miles on it (check the odometer), Iā€™d feel comfortable if I were you. My issues all reappeared pretty immediately after each ā€œrepair.ā€ One as little as 1 mile away, others as far as about 20-30. But all within one on-off-on again cycle.

Lots of luck getting your Jeep home soon!
Thanks! Posts like yours and @Fsttanks made me make sure I told them I wanted at least 40 new miles on the odometer after repair. :)

I hope the repairing dealer isn't so brazen to just tell me they drove 75 miles when I can easily check to see if they're lying or not! :P

In the fall of 2011 I bought one of the first Pentastar-equipped Wranglers. At that time the same level of angst was expressed about that engine. I sure don't think that the term bullet-proof was bandied about at that time (it's unproven. It's a Fiat engine. It's made in Italy!!!) :) But...things worked out just fine.

If people want to fret, they will find something to worry about. Don't.

Carpe Jeepiem
Haha thanks. Yeah, I'll cross my fingers and hope the 2.0s end up earning that badge too!
Have them pay for a one way rental car. I am sure they would do that for you.
If the broker fails to secure the load by Friday, I might request that option (Enterprise still picks you up, right? :) )

Sponsored

mlugo.apx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Yes, I pushed on each one and surprised at the movement I felt. Clearly someone/something at the factory needs to be retrained on how to insert and seat fuses.

Juforrest

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Taco Truck
Even old faithful Toyota has dumb issues that they donā€™t take care of in assembly. When the 2nd gen Tacomaā€™s came out, the ones with the tow package did not have enough fluid in the transmission. That started in 05 and when I bought my 2013 still an issue, when my buddy bought his 2018 still an issue.(along with several other issues) Bottom line is itā€™s a cool rig so try to enjoy it.

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Sorry to add to this, but I would do nearly ANYTHING to NOT have your Jeep trucked back to you. No offense to anyone, but those guys are not super careful with much of anything as they are normally just getting the job done. Short of a specialty hauler (car hauler), I'm not letting them touch my Jeep EVER! I understand your issue, but... Do the one way rental idea. Just my opinion. I really think you're opening yourself up to more issues you don't need.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Uggg. Iā€™m picking up my 2021 JLUR tomorrow. All of the sudden Iā€™m nervous.

Everyday I have to get in mine I feel nervous. Steering in icy/snow conditions, the battery crapping out at any moment, waiting for the dash to light up like a Christmas tree. Shouldnā€™t be that way, but something to expect with your new purchase.

My wifeā€™s 10 year old Lexus, on the other hand, never worry about a thing.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door

Cool.

I personally would NOT have anybody "truck" my Jeep back to me. I would NOT want anybody except the dealer driving my Jeep, or "trucking" it anywhere. You are just asking for trouble/issues/more problems, by having a 3rd party (trucking company or drivers) delivering your brand new Jeep.

Scratches, dents, late arrival, lost, are just a few of the issues I can imagine with having a 3rd party delivery. Having some teenage delivery driver hotrodding my new Jeep, unbeknownst to me, would also be one of my worries.

I would bite the bullet, and rent a car, or have a friend or relative drive me to the dealer, so I could drive MY Jeep back home myself.
Sponsored