Sponsored

2021 JLU Already Towed to Dealer at 114 miles on the odo. Owned less than 2 hours... WTH

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Between this and the thread already mentioned with the Rubicon, this is very concerning.
I wouldn't let this incident curb your enthusiasm at all. Serious issues happen to all vehicles. For every experience like this, there are a thousand owners who are happily driving along, but obviously not posting a thread to say "all is well for me". For all we know, a simple power recycle is all that it will take to fix this.

Pick the most reliable brand, go to their forums, and you would think that that manufacturer is peddling junk based on postings.

All of that said, it's no fun having this happen on day one.
Sponsored

yngrshr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO
The most egregious thing is FCA cancelling the original tow. You better get something for that as that is absolutely outrageous. I'd have been screaming at someone after that.

OP
OP
tankers

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
So, finally got a hold of a manager at the dealer I bought the Jeep from (and no, they didn't call me to check in after I called them yesterday afternoon to inform them of the situation).

A big props to the manager (a finance manager, nonetheless) is that he did what should have at least been done when I called them yesterday evening when my Jeep broke down and was towed to a nearby wrecker shop.

He took care of me.

After I ranted and raved for 5 minutes about the whole situation, he said "can you give me the number of the shop your Jeep is at?"

He called me back ~10 mins later and said he's paying that wrecker to tow my Jeep to the nearest CDJ dealership (Mountain Valley in Blue Ridge GA), and told me to send him the receipts for my expense so far for him to cut a check to me for (the first tow to get off the road and to a shop/phone was $75 plus the $192 for the tow that NEVER HAPPENED).

Honestly, if my sales guy had done that for me when I called him as soon as I got to the wrecker shop and could get a phone to call for help, I'm sure my original post would have been a lot shorter and calmer.

FWIW, my salesman simply and only told me to call the Chrysler Roadside Assistance number and wished me good luck.

Still not 100% sure my Jeep is even at that repairing dealer yet, but I'll give them a ring in the AM tomorrow.

I currently have a 18 two door V6. Just ordered a 2.0 80th Unlimited. Between this and the thread already mentioned with the Rubicon, this is very concerning. I have had no issues with my current Jeep but wanted the 2.0 and needed the unlimited since getting remarried. My dad had a 2.0 with the eTorque and loved it. He has since gotten a Gladiator as it is more suitable to his needs. I am hoping this doesn't happen to my wife and I. Sorry about this experience man.
Hopefully, we're just the odd men out here, but there are likely a few reasons why most of the FCA brands are in the bottom 25% for vehicle dependability.

Yes, I realize that may seem like a dumb thing to say while on an FCA-focused forum.

But why can't a Wrangler have THE BEST dependability of ANY build?

I've never met more drivers more in love with their vehicle than a Jeeper (and I had an NA Miata for over a decade...).

Why should it be excusable to just say "well, it's a Jeep!"?

It's 2020 (pandemic jokes aside). There should be darn few reliability issues at this stage of the game for any manufacturer who wants to last at least another 25 years (let alone another 80...).

I wouldn't let this incident curb your enthusiasm at all. Serious issues happen to all vehicles. For every experience like this, there are a thousand owners who are happily driving along, but obviously not posting a thread to say "all is well for me". For all we know, a simple power recycle is all that it will take to fix this.

Pick the most reliable brand, go to their forums, and you would think that that manufacturer is peddling junk based on postings.

All of that said, it's no fun having this happen on day one.
Right, one-off anecdotes are not the best to go by.

However, data and statistics are.

Jeep ranks in the BOTTOM quintile for vehicle dependability (27th out of 33, according to JD Power for 2020).

Why should we just write that off as just part of "just how it is" when issues come up (as they frequently do)? Again, this is not my first or only Jeep.

Why can't this be the best brand to own... full stop, no-contest, no-comment, ever?

Why should someone have a concerned look on their face when you tell them you bought a Jeep? (and not because they think you're going on some crazy wheeling adventure)

Granted, money talks.

Until Jeep sees sales slipping due to reliability concerns (which they are not right now, with dealers selling Wranglers literally off the truck) nothing is likely to change.

That said, we'll see if the Blue Oval poops the bed with their 2021 challenge.

Honestly, I hope they knock it out of the park.

Maybe then Jeep wakes up and treats its awesome and unique customer base with the true respect deserved.

The most egregious thing is FCA cancelling the original tow. You better get something for that as that is absolutely outrageous. I'd have been screaming at someone after that.
Thankfully the Wrangler seems to have been safe overnight at least... plus I wouldn't even know who to yell at FCA. All the folks I spoke with at Roadside sounded non-US based.

Wouldn't be able to bring myself to make their lives even crappier without a clear path to resolution (I'm probably too much of a softy when it comes to most low paid folks).

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I understand your frustration - and you have every right to expect better. That said when I signed on the dotted line for my purchase I knew it was a roll of the dice; FCA quality and dealer service ranks among the worst. I only have 6,000 miles on my wrangler which have been mostly problem free expect for some minor electrical gremlins. You and I are part of the problem however because we didn’t let our quality concerns stop us from buying. Until that happens more widely FCA will not be compelled to improve. Let’s face it, the profits on the wrangler are so high they can afford huge warranty claims....they really don’t care....it’s just a game of playing the odds for them.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Does lemon law pertain to the state you bought it or where you live? I assume the state you bought it
Well each state has their own rules, similar but different. My attorney is in Michigan and I am in Washington.

To clarify any possible confusion; It’s not a 30 day cooling off period, it’s 30+ days at the dealers repair shop that meets the lemon law criteria.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
So, finally got a hold of a manager at the dealer I bought the Jeep from (and no, they didn't call me to check in after I called them yesterday afternoon to inform them of the situation).

A big props to the manager (a finance manager, nonetheless) is that he did what should have at least been done when I called them yesterday evening when my Jeep broke down and was towed to a nearby wrecker shop.

He took care of me.

After I ranted and raved for 5 minutes about the whole situation, he said "can you give me the number of the shop your Jeep is at?"

He called me back ~10 mins later and said he's paying that wrecker to tow my Jeep to the nearest CDJ dealership (Mountain Valley in Blue Ridge GA), and told me to send him the receipts for my expense so far for him to cut a check to me for (the first tow to get off the road and to a shop/phone was $75 plus the $192 for the tow that NEVER HAPPENED).

Honestly, if my sales guy had done that for me when I called him as soon as I got to the wrecker shop and could get a phone to call for help, I'm sure my original post would have been a lot shorter and calmer.

FWIW, my salesman simply and only told me to call the Chrysler Roadside Assistance number and wished me good luck.

Still not 100% sure my Jeep is even at that repairing dealer yet, but I'll give them a ring in the AM tomorrow.

Hopefully, we're just the odd men out here, but there are likely a few reasons why most of the FCA brands are in the bottom 25% for vehicle dependability.

Yes, I realize that may seem like a dumb thing to say while on an FCA-focused forum.

But why can't a Wrangler have THE BEST dependability of ANY build?

I've never met more drivers more in love with their vehicle than a Jeeper (and I had an NA Miata for over a decade...).

Why should it be excusable to just say "well, it's a Jeep!"?

It's 2020 (pandemic jokes aside). There should be darn few reliability issues at this stage of the game for any manufacturer who wants to last at least another 25 years (let alone another 80...).

Right, one-off anecdotes are not the best to go by.

However, data and statistics are.

Jeep ranks in the BOTTOM quintile for vehicle dependability (27th out of 33, according to JD Power for 2020).

Why should we just write that off as just part of "just how it is" when issues come up (as they frequently do)? Again, this is not my first or only Jeep.

Why can't this be the best brand to own... full stop, no-contest, no-comment, ever?

Why should someone have a concerned look on their face when you tell them you bought a Jeep? (and not because they think you're going on some crazy wheeling adventure)

Granted, money talks.

Until Jeep sees sales slipping due to reliability concerns (which they are not right now, with dealers selling Wranglers literally off the truck) nothing is likely to change.

That said, we'll see if the Blue Oval poops the bed with their 2021 challenge.

Honestly, I hope they knock it out of the park.

Maybe then Jeep wakes up and treats its awesome and unique customer base with the true respect deserved.

Thankfully the Wrangler seems to have been safe overnight at least... plus I wouldn't even know who to yell at FCA. All the folks I spoke with at Roadside sounded non-US based.

Wouldn't be able to bring myself to make their lives even crappier without a clear path to resolution (I'm probably too much of a softy when it comes to most low paid folks).
Well said, re: dependability! I have a lot of cars, I love Dodge. My 06 diesel Megacab has been reliable as gravity. My 2010 Challenger RT was the best car I ever owned, unfortunately I traded it for this lemon Jeep.

I am done with new Jeeps, maybe I will get an old one. Hell, I have an 88 Ramcharger with snow plow that is more dependable than my Jeep.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Quite frankly, that's the way Chrysler and Jeep have long operated.

For Jeeps in particular they realize they effectively have no competition in the marketplace for the Wrangler, so if you don't buy a Wrangler you get something from a different market segment.

Add the "It's a Jeep…" contingent and there is literally no incentive to ever improve build quality or reliability.

I remember when I got my 97 TJ, a quick search of my dealer's lot showed that most had the paint just stop randomly in the wheel wells, they weren't even fully painted.

The response from most on the Jeep forums was "If you're not willing to buy a rattle can of touchup paint and spray it yourself, you shouldn't own a Jeep."

With attitudes like that, Chrysler and now FCA know they effectively have blank checks to do whatever they want in this market segment.

In all honesty nothing shows that to me more these days than the horrifically poorly designed start/stop system on the JL.

Last edited:

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Don't know about a 30 day window for replacement but most states allow a 3 day window to back out of a major purchase such as a vehicle
Check with your state.

Most states have a three day right of rescission for contracts signed in your home - initially designed for people who were hounded into signing a contract by a door-to-door salesman to be able to get out.

That means they don't apply if you went to the dealer and signed a contract there.

The funny part is these days it can apply to car sales if your salesman came to your house with the contracts to sign thanks to COVID.

OP
OP
tankers

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I understand your frustration - and you have every right to expect better. That said when I signed on the dotted line for my purchase I knew it was a roll of the dice; FCA quality and dealer service ranks among the worst. I only have 6,000 miles on my wrangler which have been mostly problem free expect for some minor electrical gremlins. You and I are part of the problem however because we didn’t let our quality concerns stop us from buying. Until that happens more widely FCA will not be compelled to improve. Let’s face it, the profits on the wrangler are so high they can afford huge warranty claims....they really don’t care....it’s just a game of playing the odds for them.
Guilty. âś‹

Well said, thank you.

Check with your state.

Most states have a three day right of rescission for contracts signed in your home - initially designed for people who were hounded into signing a contract by a door-to-door salesman to be able to get out.

That means they don't apply if you went to the dealer and signed a contract there.

The funny part is these days it can apply to car sales if your salesman came to your house with the contracts to sign thanks to COVID.
Yeah, my contract was signed at the dealer in GA (so GA state law applies). Based on my Googling, there's no 3-day cooling-off period for cars in GA (only door to door sales as you mentioned), and the 30-day time frame is the length of time a vehicle is out of service for grounds to file for Lemon Law, to my understanding.

Starting day 3 for me, I suppose...

That's an interesting twist about in-home signing though. I wonder how that works for contracts signed electronically in your home?

Hope to hear from the repairing dealer this morning (assuming my Jeep got picked up and towed there now...).

Sponsored

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79' Corvette 4 spd. 21'Willys 2dr. 6 spd.
Occupation
Retired
Guilty. âś‹

Well said, thank you.

Yeah, my contract was signed at the dealer in GA (so GA state law applies). Based on my Googling, there's no 3-day cooling-off period for cars in GA (only door to door sales as you mentioned), and the 30-day time frame is the length of time a vehicle is out of service for grounds to file for Lemon Law, to my understanding.

Starting day 3 for me, I suppose...

That's an interesting twist about in-home signing though. I wonder how that works for contracts signed electronically in your home?

Hope to hear from the repairing dealer this morning (assuming my Jeep got picked up and towed there now...).
Boy you sure seem a heck of a lot calmer than I ever would be. Especially after the sales guy blew you off. But kudos to the finance guy.
Good luck!

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
"I've never met more drivers more in love with their vehicle than a Jeeper (and I had an NA Miata for over a decade...)."

That's funny to me as I left the Mazda family (my last one be a 08 Speed3) for the Jeep world as well. I really miss that car some days.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
I think we're all guilty of ignoring the quality issues with the Jeep and keep buying them. Like others mentioned, until there is some competition, there is no incentive for FCA to change their quality control problems.
Why are Honda and Toyota cars so reliable, because every other manufacturer makes a comparible vehicle. Their quality is what makes them stand out from the competition.
The buyer has a choice of vehicles to purchase. Until the new Bronco comes out, there is not another 4x4 vehicle with removable doors and top so your options are Jeep, with it's flaws, or nothing.

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
I think we're all guilty of ignoring the quality issues with the Jeep and keep buying them. Like others mentioned, until there is some competition, there is no incentive for FCA to change their quality control problems.
Why are Honda and Toyota cars so reliable, because every other manufacturer makes a comparible vehicle. Their quality is what makes them stand out from the competition.
The buyer has a choice of vehicles to purchase. Until the new Bronco comes out, there is not another 4x4 vehicle with removable doors and top so your options are Jeep, with it's flaws, or nothing.
100%. You can get an Accord, Camry, or Mazda6 all with similar features/equipment for about the same amount. So unless you're married to a brand there are a lot of options. Let's be honest though, who really wants a Ford? (That's a joke, don't all jump on me at once.) My bosses brothers have both have both ordered Broncos and one brother is a Jeep guy. It will be interesting.
Sponsored