Sponsored

2021 JLU Already Towed to Dealer at 114 miles on the odo. Owned less than 2 hours... WTH

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
My low mileage & pampered 2018 Sahara spent 11 straight, continuous, weeks at the dealer after the 8 spd auto trans ate itself, and the ESS system died (while at the dealer). The dealer was good to me with a loaner, didn’t charge me a dime and fought with FCA for a new replacement trans, not a rebuild. However, the new trans is kind of jerky and the shifting points are better suited for a mini-van. Also, eleven weeks is too much, and I don’t trust the Jeep anymore, so I hired a lemon law attorney. In Washington State your vehicle has to go in for three repairs of the same problem, a serious safety hazard, or spend more than 30 days in the shop to qualify. IIRC.
My 18 Sahara had PCM issues and went through numerous repairs that didn’t fix the issue. Unfortunately I was the second owner, so no lemon law for me. I ended up trading it in while it was still in the dealer’s shop. They only did it because it was still under warranty, but they gave me a competitive trade value for it.

if yours is “fixed”, this may be a cheaper route to consider. Unless of course, you’re done with Jeep vehicles all together.
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know about a 30 day window for replacement but most states allow a 3 day window to back out of a major purchase such as a vehicle
do most states have that? I know here in GA we do not have a cooling off period.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
This is what I was going to say. It sounds like to me the electrical systems went wonky and surely could've been some looses fuses.

When I got mine last week, I requested that my dealer check the fuses to be sure they were seated. My salesman kind of laughed and said he'd never heard of that before but would have it checked.

When I showed up to get the Jeep, he said he was shocked to hear from a service tech that about half the fuses were loose and not pushed in all the way. Told him it's something they should make standard procedure as it's a known issue....at least it's known on the Wrangler forums ;)

could be loose fuses. JL's are notorious for having fuses not seated all the way from the factory. Dealers should do this as part of their final inspection.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Hopefully your fix will be as simple as mine...I had my JLR just a couple of days when warning lights came on the dash along with a message 'pull over safely, vehicle will shut off soon' Luckily I was about 2 miles from the nearest dealer and limped in and left it. In my case, it was a loose connection at the start/stop relay. That was back in January and have had zero issues with anything since. Best of luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
tankers

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Got a call from the dealer this morning that was expecting my Wrangler overnight.

Wanted to let me know he just walked the lot and could not find my Jeep. Needless to say, my heart dropped quite a bit.

Called Roadside Assistance and apparently, when FCA said last night that my Jeep was picked up, they actually meant the towing service quoted higher than expected so FCA canceled the pick-up.

You know, without letting me know at all.

Bear in mind, I already paid almost $200 out of pocket for the Jeep to be picked up that night (I left the Jeep where it was in order to trek 2+ hours home).

Trying to decide now if I should:
  1. Pay another $332 out of pocket to get the Jeep to my local CDJ (so I don't have to deal with a dealer 2+ hours away from my home),
  2. Have it towed to the closest CDJ (and fight for my original towing reimbursement)
  3. Have it taken to the dealer that sold me the Jeep and work to have them just buy it back from me...

TLDR; I still don't have a clue what's wrong with my brand new Jeep...

The steering was a issue on some ‘18–’20s and mine was a hot mess. Your ‘21 has a new steel steering gear, so no worries there.

I had to seat my fuses, too.

Yes, send a DM here on the forum. You can also ask to be reimbursed for the towing.
Thank you. DM sent to them now.
Really sorry to hear about that. Hopefully it’s something simple.

What motor does it have?
2.0 Turbo (and reading the post about the guy with the disintegrating turbo that Jeep won't fix has made me feel even more assured of quality...)

Welcome to the club! Mine has been in the shop for almost a month with similar issues.

Check out my thread: “MY 2020 Jeep Rubicon “JLUR” could have killed me and my family this weekend”. Or PM me we can compare notes.

I do have a question. What “radio/infotainment” system do you have?

I filmed the last incident and posted a short video of it on my Instagram @ fsttanks
Ah, geez. Thankfully mine wasn't as terrifying as your ordeal. At least I still had braking and steering power. I was headed into even more mountainous terrain than I was currently in so at least it crapped out in somewhat easier to navigate conditions.

I have the UConnect 5.0 system
My 18 Sahara had PCM issues and went through numerous repairs that didn’t fix the issue. Unfortunately I was the second owner, so no lemon law for me. I ended up trading it in while it was still in the dealer’s shop. They only did it because it was still under warranty, but they gave me a competitive trade value for it.

if yours is “fixed”, this may be a cheaper route to consider. Unless of course, you’re done with Jeep vehicles all together.
I'll be pretty fired up if I have to take a haircut if I can't get a resolution from Jeep. Thankfully I didn't sell or trade-in my current car yet.

This is what I was going to say. It sounds like to me the electrical systems went wonky and surely could've been some looses fuses.

When I got mine last week, I requested that my dealer check the fuses to be sure they were seated. My salesman kind of laughed and said he'd never heard of that before but would have it checked.

When I showed up to get the Jeep, he said he was shocked to hear from a service tech that about half the fuses were loose and not pushed in all the way. Told him it's something they should make standard procedure as it's a known issue....at least it's known on the Wrangler forums ;)
I'd be surprised if it was as simple as that since we'd already been driving for 2 hours without issue. Who knows though...

I'm almost afraid to ask what engine in your new Altitude?
2.0 Turbo.

Hopefully your fix will be as simple as mine...I had my JLR just a couple of days when warning lights came on the dash along with a message 'pull over safely, vehicle will shut off soon' Luckily I was about 2 miles from the nearest dealer and limped in and left it. In my case, it was a loose connection at the start/stop relay. That was back in January and have had zero issues with anything since. Best of luck!
Oh man... well, glad to hear trouble-free so far! Coming from Hyundai and Honda vehicles, I've just come to expect not to be in a dealership for a few years after I buy a new car (I know, I bought a Jeep).

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Don't know about a 30 day window for replacement but most states allow a 3 day window to back out of a major purchase such as a vehicle
Sorry, but this is not a thing in any state. A dealership or financial institution may offer this, but not the state.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
tankers said: Oh man... well, glad to hear trouble-free so far! Coming from Hyundai and Honda vehicles, I've just come to expect not to be in a dealership for a few years after I buy a new car (I know, I bought a Jeep).
[/QUOTE]

I completely understand...That said, I was the General Service Manager for one of the largest Mercedes dealers in the country and we too had brand new Mercedes in for service...As does every other car manufacture on the planet. Both of my recent RAM trucks have been 100% free of any issues: My 2016 RAM had 70K+ in three years and nothing but normal maintenance, my 19 RAM Longhorn with TONS of electrical options has almost 36K and not even a rattle!

Again, best of luck to you and the dealer/FCA should throw you a bone of some kind!

cidd47

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Really can't complain about my 2020 Rubicon. I thought the wandering steering was part of the vehicle, then I read about others having the same concern.
Then, Jeep customer service called me to say they saw my complaint about the steering and informed me about a TSB they had about it. They called the dealer for me while I was on line. The dealer put the parts on order and will call me when they come in. They estimated a week to get the parts, so we shall see.
Thanks, Brittney!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
In a situation like that, I always disconnect the battery, wait, and reconnect. I've been surprised, over the years, how often that works. Likely not in your case, but it would have been worth a try.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In a situation like that, I always disconnect the battery, wait, and reconnect. I've been surprised, over the years, how often that works. Likely not in your case, but it would have been worth a try.
power cycling electrics solves the majority of issues, so this makes sense. Software just gets in weird states sometimes, and these things are just big computers.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
My low mileage & pampered 2018 Sahara spent 11 straight, continuous, weeks at the dealer after the 8 spd auto trans ate itself, and the ESS system died (while at the dealer). The dealer was good to me with a loaner, didn’t charge me a dime and fought with FCA for a new replacement trans, not a rebuild. However, the new trans is kind of jerky and the shifting points are better suited for a mini-van. Also, eleven weeks is too much, and I don’t trust the Jeep anymore, so I hired a lemon law attorney. In Washington State your vehicle has to go in for three repairs of the same problem, a serious safety hazard, or spend more than 30 days in the shop to qualify. IIRC.
Does lemon law pertain to the state you bought it or where you live? I assume the state you bought it

OP
OP
tankers

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

Yeah, this was going to be my go-to option as well ("did you turn it off and on again?") but I discovered the "tool kit" that Jeep includes only has a couple of Torx bits and a 15mm socket. The battery looks like it needs a 10mm based on my eyeballing. :facepalm:

Painfully and ironically, I keep a set of sockets in my Honda just for this type of situation... except that set was still in my Honda, 100+ miles away. Didn't think I'd need it with a brand-new vehicle...

Was tempted to have the first wrecker lend me a socket to see about resetting, but by the time we got picked up and I could finally call Chrysler, the shop was already past closing and we needed to get out.

Thankfully one of the towing guys gave us a lift to a nearby Hardee's so we didn't have to wait for our ride home in 20 degrees (you know, cause I really wanted to ride in a truck with a stranger during the COVID pandemic...).

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
I currently have a 18 two door V6. Just ordered a 2.0 80th Unlimited. Between this and the thread already mentioned with the Rubicon, this is very concerning. I have had no issues with my current Jeep but wanted the 2.0 and needed the unlimited since getting remarried. My dad had a 2.0 with the eTorque and loved it. He has since gotten a Gladiator as it is more suitable to his needs. I am hoping this doesn't happen to my wife and I. Sorry about this experience man.
Sponsored