Sponsored

2021 JL with automatic, slams itself in park

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I’m the past and in other vehicles, I have had to have my door open while backing in a trailer when I couldn’t trust my mirrors, seat belt off because I was jumping in and out. Can I not do this with my wrangler?
@Martial Fartist

Those that tow lots / have towed lots over the years (50+ for me) understand the on occasion, door open and backing up a loaded trailer.. open when going to hook up the trailer, the jumping in and out to see if you are in line with the ball, gonna hit the ball, etc....

Sure you can try to do this with the b/u camera/mirrors/hitch mirror.... but..... but only so so.....

Guys that spew you can use just mirrors and or b/u camera do not tow much if at all... They are talking smack.

To this day, /I trailer alot. Thousands of miles pulling a motorcycle trailer...

To deal with Auto Park, I use a $2.00 seat belt clip. When backing up to attach a trailer, etc., I just use the clip.. Works great and yes, it defeats auto park.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JL with automatic, slams itself in park sb-cli
Sponsored

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Used to be able to back up my trailer and park it on a dime down crazy obstacles and alleys, occasionally I would need to see with my own eyes. The reckless behavior comments are hilarious. No hanging my leg out of the vehicle. Damn, these comments are worse than the soccer moms on Facebook.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Used to be able to back up my trailer and park it on a dime down crazy obstacles and alleys, occasionally I would need to see with my own eyes. The reckless behavior comments are hilarious. No hanging my leg out of the vehicle. Damn, these comments are worse than the soccer moms on Facebook.
@Martial Fartist

Comments obviously are coming from those with very little if any practical experience hooking up trailers, backing up trailers, big rigs and such....

If you have rig / towing experience you know the drill so to speak...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Martial Fartist

Until you get a seat belt clip from an eBAY vendor..... when you have door open and are backing up, just keep some constant pressure on the brake pedal. This pressure on the brake pedal will keep auto park from kicking in.

To me it is easier to use a seat belt clip then to remember to keep that pressure on the brake while I am concentrating on lining up with the trailer tongue/ball..

You can also just buckle up the driver's seat belt behind you...

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you.

@Martial Fartist

AND ..... do be very very careful. Obviously, backing up with the door open and belt off comes with risks..... this is a given... LOTS of things we do come with risks...

Read the other day in the news.... A guy was in a McDonald's drive thru lane.... accidentally dropped change/money out the car window as he reached the pay window. Took his seat belt off, open door and leaned out to get the change .....and the car moved forward.... guy got wedged between his car door and a cement pillar that protected the drive up window. He died.... Had he had auto park on that vehicle he .....

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
@Martial Fartist

Those that tow lots / have towed lots over the years (50+ for me) understand the on occasion, door open and backing up a loaded trailer.. open when going to hook up the trailer, the jumping in and out to see if you are in line with the ball, gonna hit the ball, etc....

Sure you can try to do this with the b/u camera/mirrors/hitch mirror.... but..... but only so so.....

Guys that spew you can use just mirrors and or b/u camera do not tow much if at all... They are talking smack.

To this day, /I trailer alot. Thousands of miles pulling a motorcycle trailer...

To deal with Auto Park, I use a $2.00 seat belt clip. When backing up to attach a trailer, etc., I just use the clip.. Works great and yes, it defeats auto park.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JL with automatic, slams itself in park sb-cli
Are you kidding? You can literally see the trailer in the backup camera. You can't see a damn thing that close to the rear of the vehicle no matter how far you lean out of the open door.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
How did I ever survive driving a CJ3A for 55 years with no seat belts,no turn signals,no emergency flashers, no defroster, lousy windshield wipers, lousy brakes, lousy parking broke, constant wander and occasional death wobble without the Nanny State protecting me? The same way I survived riding motorcycles the same amount of time. It’s called COMMON SENSE! Also, what do I do at 1.5 mph without a seat belt? PULL THROUGH MY GATE
You just admitted to be having dangerous ride on the road for 55 years, its people like YOU that we need a 'NANNY' state.🙄🗽

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Are you kidding? You can literally see the trailer in the backup camera. You can't see a damn thing that close to the rear of the vehicle no matter how far you lean out of the open door.
I must admit and it might be my age but I have never towed on a vehicle with a backup camera.

When navigating hard turns, can you see the rear of the trailer in the cam? (Seriously, not being sarcastic. Lost track of the serious vs sarcastic comments)

I doubt that I will EVER navigate the obstacles I dealt with years ago. Just wondering.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mwilk012

I can back a trailer up for long long distances (both in a straight line or backing thru a turn, etc.) with using just the rear view and side mirrors... No one directing me...

Yes, the camera is helpful if the lighting conditions, etc. are just right... but at a certain point you lose track / sight of the tongue / ball. Then you have more issues if the terrain is not level and such..
Camera is useful at certain times but you do not want to trust it so to speak.

Anyway, with all this you end up having to open door and look.... get in and out of the vehicle sometimes to go and take a looksee... unless you have a helper to direct you...

Anyone that has towed lots, driven a big rig, etc. can relate..

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
You just admitted to be having dangerous ride on the road for 55 years, its people like YOU that we need a 'NANNY' state.🙄🗽
Thank You for the chuckle, but hey it was upgraded to two tail lights. Now passed down to the next generation and hopefully future generations will appreciate it as much as the 3 so far.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
@mwilk012

I can back a trailer up for long long distances (both in a straight line or backing thru a turn, etc.) with using just the rear view and side mirrors... No one directing me...

Yes, the camera is helpful if the lighting conditions, etc. are just right... but at a certain point you lose track / sight of the tongue / ball. Then you have more issues if the terrain is not level and such..
Camera is useful at certain times but you do not want to trust it so to speak.

Anyway, with all this you end up having to open door and look.... get in and out of the vehicle sometimes to go and take a looksee... unless you have a helper to direct you...

Anyone that has towed lots, driven a big rig, etc. can relate..
The tongue and ball are stationary relative to the jeep.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mwilk012
Tongue on trailer to ball on draw bar...

No sense going on and on about this... I tow... over 50 yrs of towing.. I know the drill...

And it is very apparent to me by posts in this thread that many here have towed very little or never towed..... never towed with a JL ....are clueless and talking smack.

I'll leave it at you can deal with defeat auto park if you desire to... You tow or whatever as you please... I will do the same.. 8-)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
@mwilk012

Tongue on trailer to ball on draw bar...

No sense going on and on about this... I tow... over 50 yrs of towing.. I know the drill...

And it is very apparent to me by posts in this thread that many here have towed very little or never towed..... never towed with a JL ....are clueless and talking smack.

I'll leave it at you can deal with defeat auto park if you desire to... You tow or whatever as you please... I will do the same.. 8-)

It’s simple. You can’t see shit hanging out a door or window. It doesn’t matter how many decades you try.