Sponsored

2021 JL Throttle Surge (manual trans)

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
2021 JLUR 6-speed. Mine has the same rev hang and occasional rough idle. TBH doesn't bother me. Coming to a stop/traffic light i double declutch down the gears to 2nd and then clutch in, which is when i get that rev hang. At that point, i'm already stopped so i don't pay attention to the rev hang.

On the rough idle, i get the occasional stumble and rev "loping" but I have that in my other cars as well and doesn't bother me.

Unfortunately we live in a highly restricted EPA world where they have to keep the emissions squeaky clean.
Sponsored

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
I normally heel toe / foot roll when I downshift to rev match. I figured the Jeep was just rev matching for me

For me, it seems to happen when I'm going in 4th and start slowing down for a stop. Take it out of gear, it blips the throttle, then put it in 3rd or double clutch to 2nd and come to a stop.

It only does it once and won't blip the throttle a second time (4th -> blip -> 3rd -> 2nd, not 4th -> blip -> 3rd -> blip -> 2nd)

I figured it was just trying to rev match. Doesn't bother me much, since I'd be doing it anyways

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I have actually really been watching for this behavior on my wife's 21 JLR manual. It seems to be a pretty common issue on most newer drive by wire vehicles. My Raptor used to cycle rpm engine braking down steep trails. It would hold for a few seconds, then the rpm would run up by 1000-1500 for a few seconds then close the throttle again by itself and engine brake again bringing the speed back down. Super annoying and nothing you can do.

The JLR hasn't done any pf this yet and I have had it on the trails a couple of full days. I don't get any rev hang on shifts or rpm surging, I do have the gear position indicator and the rough idle.

I wonder if something like a pedal commander fixes this? It gets in the loop between the pedal and TB. Maybe it would eliminate the hang and surge by taking factory throttle plate manipulation out of the equation?

Sponsored

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I got my JLUR in December of 2018 and noticed right away that slowing to a stop at a traffic light, etc causes the RPM to go so low it almost stalls once I get down to about 5-10mph. This happens in both neutral, and downshifting from 2nd gear back to N. At the same time the engine makes a weird sputtering noise that almost makes the vehicle sound like a diesel. It only happens for a second or two though. Is this what you guys are referring to? In the old days you could just mess with the idle, but I don't know how to do that in a "drive-by-wire" scenario.
A lot of people on these boards know a lot more about engines and transmissions than I do: is this something that is going to cause a huge repair bill down the line? If not, I've learned to live with it...just like the weak clutch.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
2021 Sahara here with the same rev behavior.
Just picked up my 2021 Rubicon on 28Jun2021. I can't seem to replicate the rev hang described here. Granted im still im the break in period, but at least from 1-4 and 4-1, my rpms drop as soon as I let off the throttle. Maybe it was a late year correction.

buzzdoc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WranglerUnlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glorified plumber
Is it rev matching? I haven’t paid attention to it so far in my first 128 miles, but many newer manuals rev match when down shifting to make the transition more smooth. I know my buddies’ C7 vette did it.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Is it rev matching? I haven’t paid attention to it so far in my first 128 miles, but many newer manuals rev match when down shifting to make the transition more smooth. I know my buddies’ C7 vette did it.
No such thing on the Wrangler

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Just picked up my 2021 Rubicon on 28Jun2021. I can't seem to replicate the rev hang described here. Granted im still im the break in period, but at least from 1-4 and 4-1, my rpms drop as soon as I let off the throttle. Maybe it was a late year correction.
Mine was built mid May and has 1500 miles on it now. Doesn't do this either.

Sponsored

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
I have double checked, and I do not have rev hang.

Also, I noticed that the ESS must not be engaged by default on my 2021 rubi with a manual. I have verified that all conditions for the ESS have been met and still nothing.

Are others seeing this or is this a glitch?

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
Thank you for checking. It looks like I get a field trip to a Jeep service department… yay 😔

Robby Robot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nathantothrow.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Occupation
KZ4KNR | Business Intelligence Consultant
I have a 2022 JLR that was delivered in June. The throttle surges to 2500 - 3000 rpm when going to neutral for a few minutes after cold start. I've read on some forums that it has cause their Jeep to "lurch through stop signs" but I haven't seen it that pronounced, though I have felt it lurch if it revs when I engage a gear. I seem to remember seeing an engineering-related article a while back that this is a routine in the ECU that forces the engine to warm at start up. Haven't been to the service center about it yet (been resolving electrical issues) but it's annoying AF when I pull to a stop light and pedestrians think I'm threatening to run them down when the engine revs.

boarder140

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Unlimited Rubicon | 2005 Lotus Elise
I have a 2022 JLR that was delivered in June. The throttle surges to 2500 - 3000 rpm when going to neutral for a few minutes after cold start. I've read on some forums that it has cause their Jeep to "lurch through stop signs" but I haven't seen it that pronounced, though I have felt it lurch if it revs when I engage a gear. I seem to remember seeing an engineering-related article a while back that this is a routine in the ECU that forces the engine to warm at start up. Haven't been to the service center about it yet (been resolving electrical issues) but it's annoying AF when I pull to a stop light and pedestrians think I'm threatening to run them down when the engine revs.
Same thing with mine as well - 2022 JLUR.
This rarely happens if I let the idle fall under 1k rpms after initial start before I move
Sponsored