2021 JL Steering Issue after lift

Ohatt03

First Name
Owen Hatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Wrangler Ecodiesel
This is my first post here so go easy on me.

Been having steering issues with my 2021 Wrangler Ecodiesel after getting a lift install...

I just bought my Jeep about a month ago... I planned on getting it lifted right away so I ordered a lift through the dealership which would actually be installed by their partner company across the street that deals with custom installs.

The kit that I ordered is the RC 3.5” stage two kit for the Wrangler Ecodiesel. I have heard some comments about RC’s quality, but they have come a long way... and I actually think the lift is of “decent” quality. It’s one of their more “complete” lift packages. It comes with the adjustable track bar and adjustable control arms included. See lift below if you are interested...

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-s...nd=2021-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-4wd-756574

So, the shop went ahead and installed it and I picked it up.. they also installed 35” Wrangler Duratracs.
Let’s just say this.... my drive home was a scary one. It was tracking all over the place on the freeway. Oddly enough, there is more play in the wheel when turning to the right.... I have to turn about 45 degrees before it starts to turn. I was drifting all over the road.

I’ve had lifted vehicles in the past, so I know not to expect a “stock” ride, but this was just plain dangerous.

So I send it back to the shop, they say they check everything and say the lift is installed correctly. They wanted me to come pick it up.

I should have mentioned that they said they also aligned it after the lift was installed.

I’m beginning to think that this shop likely just doesn’t have a lot of experience with 4x4s and lifted vehicles, and have not adjusted the control arms or something correctly.

Anybody have any experience with a similar issue? I’ll not super mechanically savvy.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You need to see where they put your caster at. 6-7° is kinda the sweet spot. Tire pressure needs to be looked at as well.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
If I were to guess they didn’t put enough caster in it. Ask for a print out of the alignment and post it. You want 6-7

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Did you drive it before they lifted it? Did it drive ok w/o the lift?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
As already mentioned, low caster would be my suspicion. Especially since that shop is in bed with the dealer, which means they aligned it to the factory specs that don't give enough caster. And check the tire pressures, as they are probably set too high like the dealers are known for doing.
Sponsored