2021 JL Over pressurized gas tank.

Gman2717

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door JL
I recently purchased a 2021 JL 2 door and when I went to get gas in it for the first time I had to trickle it in due to the pump constantly clicking off. I contacted my local jeep dealer that told me the gas tank was faulty and that it was over pressurized from the factory and would need to be replaced. Just wondering if anyone else has had or heard of this problem. They have to take my brand new jeep apart to install a new tank.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i've had this happen on many of my vehicles. nowadays the pumps are fueling up to fast for the factory vapor vent which causes back pressure and clicks the pump handle into a safe off position so you do not spill fuel every where. I cannot say ive heard of a dealer replacing a tank from " over pressuring a fuel tank " seems weird to me.. take it to another fuel station and see fi you have the same problem.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
pull the pump a mil or two out once you seat it.

OP
OP

Gman2717

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door JL
pull the pump a mil or two out once you seat it.
Tried all of that even put the nozzle upside down. The dealership said no matter what you do the pressure will not allow the gas to enter the tank as it should.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Tried all of that even put the nozzle upside down. The dealership said no matter what you do the pressure will not allow the gas to enter the tank as it should.
Maybe the filler neck is crimped or something causing your issue? Gas tanks are not pressurized with the filler cap off.

Ja87sm

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 wrangler islander
Our 21 did that the first time we filled it. I was able to move it a little bit and get it to fill. The second time I had no issues what so ever.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
There is a check valve at the tank end of the filler neck, it likely got stuck. It’s not unheard of.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I kind of had this issue. Became less of an issue over time. Jiggle the handle and back it up, back it in. I’d give it some time and before I took it in for a tank replacement.
Sponsored