2021 JL Eco Diesel needing repair?

ks1626

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Ecodiesel
I posted this question already and got some great feed back regarding an electrical buzz from the engine compartment after shut down that last 2-3 minutes.
The dealer I bought the Jeep from (out of state)is adamant that the noise is not normal and can’t replicate the noise with any of there eco diesels. The second deal says it is completely normal. The third dealer didn’t know but after starting his 2020 eco diesel on the lot I did hear the buzz after shut down but only for 1-2 seconds.
i did make an appointment, however two weeks out. Any of you 2021 eco diesel owners Have this noise or any diesel technicians with answers. Thanks. I posted a video of the buzzing sound.

Yes, I have a 2020, and it does the same thing since I bought it new.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's totally normal. The Gen 3 engine in the Rams do the same. The ECU will run that pump after engine shut-off if certain parameters are met. Also, there's a butterfly valve in the tail pipe that you may occasionally hear after shut down as well.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Where did you get a diesel supplement? I dont think my 21 came with one.
The 2020 EcoDiesel came with a supplement Diesel manual as the owner's manual did not have specific diesel info.
On the 2021 EcoDiesel, the main manual is integrated for gasoline and diesel Wranglers.

Last edited:

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I posted this question already and got some great feed back regarding an electrical buzz from the engine compartment after shut down that last 2-3 minutes.
The dealer I bought the Jeep from (out of state)is adamant that the noise is not normal and can’t replicate the noise with any of there eco diesels. The second deal says it is completely normal. The third dealer didn’t know but after starting his 2020 eco diesel on the lot I did hear the buzz after shut down but only for 1-2 seconds.
i did make an appointment, however two weeks out. Any of you 2021 eco diesel owners Have this noise or any diesel technicians with answers. Thanks. I posted a video of the buzzing sound.

I didn't have it in the 2020 model but get that sound on the 2021 model. Looks like it is a feature, not a flaw - coolant pump to cool the turbo. I just got a 2021 EcoDiesel Willys. When I test drove it, I did not hear the sound. But when I got home and parked in the garage, it was obvious.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Out of curiosity, I just opened the hood and ran the engine for about a minute to see if I could hear this sound.

Sure enough, I heard the same sound as heard in the video above, but not nearly as loud. In fact, had I not opened the hood, I would not have heard the buzzing sound at all. The buzzing sound persisted for a full 3-minutes before an subtle, audible click is heard and the buzzing stops.

Interesting.
Yep, I timed it with a stopwatch. Exactly 3 minutes every time. If something is a problem, it won't be so precise. Looks like it is programmed to do it.

Mjr.Crash

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep wrangler unlimited willy’s

Yes .. mine does but not as long and don’t think it’s every time.. i was told and believe its the DEF pump … normal op noise !!
mine however has sounds of ticking like lifters or something when it starts and while driving- sounds like it needs to shift… worries me ..

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Yes .. mine does but not as long and don’t think it’s every time.. i was told and believe its the DEF pump … normal op noise !!
mine however has sounds of ticking like lifters or something when it starts and while driving- sounds like it needs to shift… worries me ..
DEF pump should not make the buzz sound in the front. I asked a dealer's mechanic this time, and he said it is fuel being recovered.
But all 3.0L do that and it is by design. Some are just louder than others.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
DEF pump should not make the buzz sound in the front. I asked a dealer's mechanic this time, and he said it is fuel being recovered.
When a DEF equiped engine is shut down the system will pump any fluid left in the lines back into the tank. As DEF will freeze this protects the lines from bursting. Should it freeze in the tank, which has room for expansion, there is a heater to thaw it back out.

Sponsored

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
When a DEF equiped engine is shut down the system will pump any fluid left in the lines back into the tank. As DEF will freeze this protects the lines from bursting. Should it freeze in the tank, which has room for expansion, there is a heater to thaw it back out.

This is correct. all diesel rams do this as well. Ram uses an external recirculating pump as does the jeep. Ford and chevy are internal or at least they were last time I owned one.

Mjr.Crash

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Righf.. I can hear and differentiate noise of DEF... In rear.. Also i checked the bracket for weld break and mine is solid,,

Mjr.Crash

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Here is video from iphone of engine noise immediately after starting it up for first time today.. Other words was not already warmed up,, doesnt matter regarding noise as it is preeent at anytimes,,,

I purposely am not commenting on what i hear and think whats causing the sounds.. As not to get repetitive replies against what i wrote,,
Rather - please listen for yourself and reply thoughts..

I have an appointment with local dealership on monday for oil change and other, so i will have them asses what they think,, i will post again after that for update..

6000 miles - have yet to do any offroad apart from a few gravel roads,,
Mostly hwy miles from my home in troutdale oregon to the Snake River just outside of baker city,,( round trip)
And another trip to Spokane Washington from troutdale oregon and back via idaho.. So mostly flat good hwy except to spokane, elevation gains and decents yet never a struggle or driven over 80mph,,

Appreciate any and all thoughts on this and will try best to reply promply to any questions,, thanx all!!

#jeepcares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Here is video from iphone of engine noise immediately after starting it up for first time today.. Other words was not already warmed up,, doesnt matter regarding noise as it is preeent at anytimes,,,

I purposely am not commenting on what i hear and think whats causing the sounds.. As not to get repetitive replies against what i wrote,,
Rather - please listen for yourself and reply thoughts..

I have an appointment with local dealership on monday for oil change and other, so i will have them asses what they think,, i will post again after that for update..

6000 miles - have yet to do any offroad apart from a few gravel roads,,
Mostly hwy miles from my home in troutdale oregon to the Snake River just outside of baker city,,( round trip)
And another trip to Spokane Washington from troutdale oregon and back via idaho.. So mostly flat good hwy except to spokane, elevation gains and decents yet never a struggle or driven over 80mph,,

Appreciate any and all thoughts on this and will try best to reply promply to any questions,, thanx all!!

#jeepcares
Hi, Mjr.Crash. If you would like an extra layer of support while you're at the dealer for this concern, please let us know. We would be happy to get you in touch with a case agent who can provide that.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Mjr.Crash

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi, Mjr.Crash. If you would like an extra layer of support while you're at the dealer for this concern, please let us know. We would be happy to get you in touch with a case agent who can provide that.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sure .. yes please .. tho i do not forsee any issue with dealer at this time, as it’s not dealership who i purchased from .. reason is i bought it another town 50 miles from my home as they had the jeep in stock at the time.. the desperado I’m going to is local , with 10 miles from my home,, i contacted them originally and set appointment for them to overlook my jeep as my rear seat has an issue with material coming apart from under the headrest .. their service manager saw the issue and agreed it’s something that needs attention and exclaimed if the purchasing dealer does not meet my needs then come back and they will address the issue..
so i had contacted our purchasing dealership and explained to them we are going in for service at local dealer instead.
So I’m not familiar with your services ??
what exactly happens with you guys ..?
I’ve got extended warranty on my jeep to cover basic and powertrain to 100,000 miles also purchased their pro pack protection .. so I’m thinking I’m covered rather well..

As my main concern now is my engine ..
well, I’ll find out what’s going on soon and go from there..
Sponsored