2021 JL Eco Diesel needing repair?

ks1626

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Ecodiesel
I posted this question already and got some great feed back regarding an electrical buzz from the engine compartment after shut down that last 2-3 minutes.
The dealer I bought the Jeep from (out of state)is adamant that the noise is not normal and can’t replicate the noise with any of there eco diesels. The second deal says it is completely normal. The third dealer didn’t know but after starting his 2020 eco diesel on the lot I did hear the buzz after shut down but only for 1-2 seconds.
i did make an appointment, however two weeks out. Any of you 2021 eco diesel owners Have this noise or any diesel technicians with answers. Thanks. I posted a video of the buzzing sound.

Yes, I have a 2020, and it does the same thing since I bought it new.

Advertisement

WXman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's totally normal. The Gen 3 engine in the Rams do the same. The ECU will run that pump after engine shut-off if certain parameters are met. Also, there's a butterfly valve in the tail pipe that you may occasionally hear after shut down as well.

Capricorn

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Unlimited 2021 3.0L EcoD, Dodge Durango R/T 2019
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Where did you get a diesel supplement? I dont think my 21 came with one.
The 2020 EcoDiesel came with a supplement Diesel manual as the owner's manual did not have specific diesel info.
On the 2021 EcoDiesel, the main manual is integrated for gasoline and diesel Wranglers.

Last edited:

Capricorn

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I posted this question already and got some great feed back regarding an electrical buzz from the engine compartment after shut down that last 2-3 minutes.
The dealer I bought the Jeep from (out of state)is adamant that the noise is not normal and can’t replicate the noise with any of there eco diesels. The second deal says it is completely normal. The third dealer didn’t know but after starting his 2020 eco diesel on the lot I did hear the buzz after shut down but only for 1-2 seconds.
i did make an appointment, however two weeks out. Any of you 2021 eco diesel owners Have this noise or any diesel technicians with answers. Thanks. I posted a video of the buzzing sound.

I didn't have it in the 2020 model but get that sound on the 2021 model. Looks like it is a feature, not a flaw - coolant pump to cool the turbo. I just got a 2021 EcoDiesel Willys. When I test drove it, I did not hear the sound. But when I got home and parked in the garage, it was obvious.

Capricorn

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Out of curiosity, I just opened the hood and ran the engine for about a minute to see if I could hear this sound.

Sure enough, I heard the same sound as heard in the video above, but not nearly as loud. In fact, had I not opened the hood, I would not have heard the buzzing sound at all. The buzzing sound persisted for a full 3-minutes before an subtle, audible click is heard and the buzzing stops.

Interesting.
Yep, I timed it with a stopwatch. Exactly 3 minutes every time. If something is a problem, it won't be so precise. Looks like it is programmed to do it.

Advertisement

Superchips Flashcal Programmer out for JL Wrangler

Advertisement