Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Bronco looks great, plenty of options but for a new vehicle launch Ford fk'ed it up royally....if I see one more Bronco doing the hotels across America tour....really. Stop screwing around and build the damn thing, plenty of Bronco buyers are going to have zero fun next summer maybe Summer of 2022..
The project in total has been delayed about 10 months. It was delayed ~6 months in 2017 when it was redesigned (the original looked way too close to a wrangler according to rumors Iā€™ve heard) and then another 4 months for covid. Hopefully that doesnā€™t get any worse, but it sounds like the factory line is coming along nicely according to some of the guys at Michigan Assembly. They are one of Fordā€™s best teams, so while the marketing side of things may be a bit of a mess, Iā€™d bet the Bronco itself will be solid. Only time will tell though with covid.
Sponsored

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
comes standard with the power soft top? The Granite Crystal one in the videos looks like a standard soft top with 1/2 doors.....

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Looks like it gets....
Rubicon diesel axles with the Mojave knuckles.
Mojave steering wheel and seats,
Gladiator grille.
Mojave hood?

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The project in total has been delayed about 10 months. It was delayed ~6 months in 2017 when it was redesigned (the original looked way too close to a wrangler according to rumors Iā€™ve heard) and then another 4 months for covid. Hopefully that doesnā€™t get any worse, but it sounds like the factory line is coming along nicely according to some of the guys at Michigan Assembly. They are one of Fordā€™s best teams, so while the marketing side of things may be a bit of a mess, Iā€™d bet the Bronco itself will be solid. Only time will tell though with covid.
maybe but without Covid this was to launch at the New York Auto Show back in April, if that was the case everything should have been done for an April launch here its mid-November...I just think a lot of folks are going to be pissed if it takes 6-9 months or more to get a unit delivered. Oh well competition benefits us all.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
maybe but without Covid this was to launch at the New York Auto Show back in April, if that was the case everything should have been done for an April launch here its mid-November...I just think a lot of folks are going to be pissed if it takes 6-9 months or more to get a unit delivered. Oh well competition benefits us all.
Youā€™re correct, job 1 as of April 2019 was set for next month, and was reportedly on track until covid hit and Ford basically sat on their hands for 3 months. The new job 1 is sometime in March.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
And it probably couldnā€™t be, thatā€™s just what it costs in the Ram. Even if it was the same price as the eco diesel(Which might be more reasonable)the 5.7 would sell like hot cakes. I have a feeling that the 392 is going to be expensive enough that people are going to be pretty upset. Based on the press release it sounds like itā€™s only coming on the loaded rubicon, so I doubt it will be available under $70k or so. WHICH, to Jeepā€™s credit, is still a way better deal than an aftermarket swap. But still puts it out of the reach of most of us.

also, thanks. I realize Iā€™m a guest here since I technically own a JK so Iā€™m way nicer than I am over at the Bronco forums šŸ˜‚
Agreed... $70k is a lot, but as you put -- way cheaper than aftermarket no warranty swaps. And yes, out of reach to many. I'm not sure the 5.7 would have allowed them to offer it for any less. I think at some point, the business case with any v8 is only viable at a certain price, and that's just what we're getting / is what it is =)

Also given the current performance of the diesel and turbo 4 -- I'm not sure they really need to compete with the 2.7 from Ford, which that 5.7 would likely be targeting if they did such a thing (even my turbo 4 stock is as fast as my wife's BMW -- so likely plenty for most folks use cases). They'll lose some people, but I am sure they're betting it won't make a material impact.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Guys, you are looking at a future ā€œkick myself for getting rid of itā€ classic. Buy 2 if you can afford it. One to drive and wheel a lot and the other stored and babied with only about 1k miles a year put on it. Or no miles if you can afford climate controlled storage and having all of the fluids drained. This thing wonā€™t be produced in big numbers or for very long. I expect low mile perfect used one to bring more than what was payed for it in 5 years. In 10, probably 50-100% more. Think muscle cars, Buick Grand Nationals, Ford GTs etc.

If FCA starts pumping out 10,000 a year, then forget the above comments.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Agreed... $70k is a lot, but as you put -- way cheaper than aftermarket no warranty swaps. And yes, out of reach to many. I'm not sure the 5.7 would have allowed them to offer it for any less. I think at some point, the business case with any v8 is only viable at a certain price, and that's just what we're getting / is what it is =)

Also given the current performance of the diesel and turbo 4 -- I'm not sure they really need to compete with the 2.7 from Ford, which that 5.7 would likely be targeting if they did such a thing (even my turbo 4 stock is as fast as my wife's BMW -- so likely plenty for most folks use cases). They'll lose some people, but I am sure they're betting it won't make a material impact.
What kind of Bimmer?

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
comes standard with the power soft top? The Granite Crystal one in the videos looks like a standard soft top with 1/2 doors.....
Yeah it says half doors available, but body color hard top and fenders standard? I would not want either of those options really, save me $3,000 lol

Sponsored

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
What kind of gas did you think it would take?
I'm pretty sure that was a joke. Hopefully..

The Rubicon starts at $42k, you shouldn't have to option all the frill to get the engine. There isn't this issue when you order a truck and want the V8 option. Maybe it would be too popular if they did and screw up their fuel economy average or whatever. All I know is very few people are actually going to use these as a Wrangler at that price, the same as the G-Wagon even though it's capable. I doubt I'm ever going to see one out on the trails at $70k+. At $50k, they couldn't make em fast enough before they would sell out.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Lets do the math!

2.0L or 3.6L has 300 ft/lbs to be generous. So * 4.1 = 1230 in 1:1 transmission gear.

6.4L is 470 * 2.75 = 1292.5 in 1:1 transmission gear.

It is likely they do not offer the 4.1 as it's not needed. I have never had an issue on my 2.0L with the 4.1 that I wanted more crawl ratio.
Crawl ratio is about speed/control more than torque. The lack of 4:1 and the higher 3.73 gears are gonna make controlled crawling nearly impossible.