Sponsored

2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude Check Engline Light and Charging System Failure

esd263

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Hey guys,

So 2 months ago, I decided to bite the bullet and lease a brand new 2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude. All was good and well, until after I signed all the papers, and the dealership was pulling the car up to hand over the keys to me that they noticed a weird sound coming out of the vehicle when steering right or left, but said that it shouldn't cause any issues. I was excited to finally get a hold of my Jeep so I scheduled a service appointment 2 weeks after with them.

The issue turned out to be something they said related to the rear differential or the fluid being black. I forget. The car stayed 1 day in service, and they said they replaced the fluid which was black, and low and behold the car was driving smoothly. Then at around 500 miles, the check engine light came on, and honestly, I have been so busy that I didn't have time to drop it off at the dealership right then and there. Fast forward to 4000 miles, and the check engine light still hasn't gone off, I said screw this, I'm taking this to the dealership now. I thought it was probably a gas cap not being tightened, but after trying everything in God's green earth, I decided to finally drop it off at the dealership.

It has now been 7 days, and I just got feedback on the status, and the service department texted me saying:

"There is a major electrical issue with this vehicle, we are going through about 10 different electrical wiring systems to find the culprit"

It not only took forever to get some update from them, but now that I did, this is what they tell me? lol.

It's a brand new vehicle, and I have had to do nothing but take it to service. It's my second time dropping it off to service within 2 months of owning the vehicle.

This is really unacceptable.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this issue on their brand new Jeep, or is it just me? What would you recommend I do? Would lemon law be applicable?

By the way, mine is the EcoDiesel version.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

God is punishing you for buying a Jeep with 20-inch wheels... 😫

Just kidding...! Well, sort of...

I agree, though, this is totally unacceptable. Unfortunately, poor dealer service is all too common with Jeep.

The condition you describe pops up regularly on these forums. It usually ends up being a bad auxiliary battery, a bad battery charging system and/or a bad charging wiring harness. Why dealers continue to act as if they have no idea what’s happening is beyond comprehension.

Also, kindly tell the dealer to double check that the fuses are pushed ALL the way down.

Hope you get things resolved quickly and for good.

OP
OP
esd263

esd263

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the forum.

God is punishing you for buying a Jeep with 20-inch wheels... 😫

Just kidding...! Well, sort of...

I agree, though, this is totally unacceptable. Unfortunately, poor dealer service is all too common with Jeep.

The condition you describe pops up regularly on these forums. It usually ends up being a bad auxiliary battery, a bad battery charging system and/or a bad charging wiring harness. Why dealers continue to act as if they have no idea what’s happening is beyond comprehension.

Also, kindly tell the dealer to double check that the fuses are pushed ALL the way down.

Hope you get things resolved quickly and for good.
haha I honestly got this for the looks.. yeah I'm a Jeep casual LOL

I just hope this doesn't become one of those issues that's going to manifest itself in some ugly way down the road. Because I do plan on buying this car outright after the lease payments are over lol

and thanks, glad to be here and part of the Jeep Wave experience.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Once they fix the battery charging problem you should be trouble-free for a long time.

Fingers crossed!

Mocha

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Sold 2021 JLURD)
@esd263 did this get resolved? Had a similar situation

Sponsored

OP
OP
esd263

esd263

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mocha hey man, unfortunately not. I took the car to the jeep dealer, where they apparently worked on it for 10 days, saying they went through 10 different electrical wiring systems, but couldn't find anything. Though after this, the check engine light and charging system failure alert went away for about 30 days, and then came on again. So w.e they did, apparently worked, but only briefly.

Frustrated, I bought the Tazer JL Mini, so I can just clear the check engine light whenever it comes on. Right now, it comes on every 2 days or so lol. Im pretty sure its related to the charging system failure, because that is the same error that is coming up in Uconnect.

I would appreciate anyone who's got this fixed to respond here though so we can find a permanent solution to this VERY ANNOYING problem.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Do you know the code number for the check engine light?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
@Mocha hey man, unfortunately not. I took the car to the jeep dealer, where they apparently worked on it for 10 days, saying they went through 10 different electrical wiring systems, but couldn't find anything. Though after this, the check engine light and charging system failure alert went away for about 30 days, and then came on again. So w.e they did, apparently worked, but only briefly.

Frustrated, I bought the Tazer JL Mini, so I can just clear the check engine light whenever it comes on. Right now, it comes on every 2 days or so lol. Im pretty sure its related to the charging system failure, because that is the same error that is coming up in Uconnect.

I would appreciate anyone who's got this fixed to respond here though so we can find a permanent solution to this VERY ANNOYING problem.
They need to buy it back if they can’t fix it.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many

Has anyone just replaced the batteries?

Sponsored

OP
OP
esd263

esd263

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know the code number for the check engine light?
I actually just tried to read it after your comment, and its saying "NO PCM Module Found" or something along those lines. I believe -- correct me if Im wrong -- PCM is related to Power Train and consequently the Charging System...

Idk if its a faulty PCM module at this point or what, or if the readings from Tazer JL Mini are accurate, but the check engine light is still on, and Uconnect still shows Powertrain and Charging System Failure.

Im honestly at my wits end at this point lol

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Find the best dealer in your area. Most are bad, but a high volume one may be able to keep good techs, so that's where I’d start.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
@esd263 did this get resolved? Had a similar situation
You waited 3,500 miles after the check engine light came on to take it in for service too?

I wonder if the problem is somehow related to the Diesel engine?

I bought a code reader when the check engine light came on my wife's 2019 Cherokee. It said there was a six cylinder miss. I cleared the code and drove it that weekend without it coming back on.

The following Monday the check engine light came back on while my wife was driving it. I took it in for service that same day as it was not longer my problem, I was making it theirs.

Clearing a code that keeps reappearing won's help fix the problem. If it can't be fixed, it needs to be bought back. In my wife's Cherokee case, it needed a new engine due to antifreeze seeping in cylinder number six.
Sponsored