4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
Can it still go 400 miles in one tank?
It will all depend on the type of driving and charging you’re doing. If you fill up, run on pure electric until it’s depleted then all gas without charging, I suspect you will get around the 370 estimated range. If you fill up and jump on the highway for 500 straight miles, I don’t know.... I would like to know the answer to that as well, since it seems there must be some regen happening while cruising. Now if you’re doing a mix of short and long driving while charging at night you can likely go much farther than 400 miles on a tank. Theoretically it’s unlimited if you only use electric then charge every night. However we know the reality will be somewhere between the two ends of the spectrum.

For me, I expect to get much more than 400 per tank as plenty of my driving will be day trips and recharge at night. When I take a road trip to Moab I won’t expect the same level of efficiency and will probably even save the electric power for when I get there and want the added HP and torque.

Bottom line for me is that it should be much more efficient and have a longer tank range than the other engines, for the type of driving and charging I will be doing. I can’t understand a scenario where someone would get a PHEV and not install a level 2 charger to optimize electric usage.
Sponsored

NavinJohnson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4xe
I can’t understand a scenario where someone would get a PHEV and not install a level 2 charger to optimize electric usage.
I won't need a level 2 charger - at least not for the 4xe and its ability to fully charge in 12 hours on level 1. I'm easily home 12+ hours a day most days so level 1 will suffice. I'm sure this is the case for a lot of people.

Now if/when I get a Tesla or other fully electric vehicle, I'll need to upgrade.

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I won't need a level 2 charger - at least not for the 4xe and its ability to fully charge in 12 hours on level 1. I'm easily home 12+ hours a day most days so level 1 will suffice. I'm sure this is the case for a lot of people.

Now if/when I get a Tesla or other fully electric vehicle, I'll need to upgrade.
Good point. Most times I could probably get by with level 1 as well.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I'll make a decision by the end of the year on whether to go level 2 or not. I believe someone stated this is the last year for the rebates on level 2 chargers.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I went ahead and ordered this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XSNL95C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It seems to get really good reviews. It is UL listed and looks to be pretty simple. I am pretty good with electricity so I added a 50 amp circuit in my garage for about $50 in parts. My utility here in California will knock 1.5 cents off a kw if you charge between midnight and 6 am and have an electric car. I can average about 10 cents a kw during that time.

I probably should of waited as the 120 volt option would of probably worked just fine but nice to have options. Also here in California, depending on who sells you electricity, it really does not make much since to charge at certain times of the day financially.

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
I went ahead and ordered this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XSNL95C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It seems to get really good reviews. It is UL listed and looks to be pretty simple. I am pretty good with electricity so I added a 50 amp circuit in my garage for about $50 in parts. My utility here in California will knock 1.5 cents off a kw if you charge between midnight and 6 am and have an electric car. I can average about 10 cents a kw during that time.

I probably should of waited as the 120 volt option would of probably worked just fine but nice to have options. Also here in California, depending on who sells you electricity, it really does not make much since to charge at certain times of the day financially.
Thought about getting that same one. I already have an outlet in my garage on a 30 Amp breaker, so setting the current limit to 24 amp would be ideal so I wouldn't have to run larger wire.

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Very cool. I like the price point of that one. I definitely plan to install a level 2 and have been looking at the chargepoint.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Now can somebody do the math for a hole house generator running on natural gas to run the charger. some electric utility companies have some high rates. Maybe even some solar to run the charger.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now can somebody do the math for a hole house generator running on natural gas to run the charger. some electric utility companies have some high rates. Maybe even some solar to run the charger.
Ima get me 1000 hamsters and have them run on hamster wheels connected to a motor to charge my Jeep!

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Depending on how far you want to plan ahead... I now have 2 EVs and one 50 amp outlet in my garage so went with the clipper creek dual charger. It automatically balances the load when charging two cars at once. If you think you may get another EV/PHEV in the next few years you may want to future proof yourself and get one of these.

Sponsored

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on how far you want to plan ahead... I now have 2 EVs and one 50 amp outlet in my garage so went with the clipper creek dual charger. It automatically balances the load when charging two cars at once. If you think you may get another EV/PHEV in the next few years you may want to future proof yourself and get one of these.
I like that idea.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
This was at 415 miles with just under 100 left on the range....half and half. I'd say diesel is the winner here.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Range / Mileage EPA Figures Published 20210327_185540

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was at 415 miles with just under 100 left on the range....half and half. I'd say diesel is the winner here.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Range / Mileage EPA Figures Published 20210327_185540
Diesel is the winner of what?

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Diesel is the winner of what?
The diesel guys probably see these 4Xe posts when they click the new post button. Some don't realize they are posting in a dedicated forum and some don't understand it isnt a comparison of constant long distance drives. The 4Xe has better short distance mpg for the majority. They also don't take into account the higher cost of the diesel not only to buy but maintain. I say this as a person who would have bought a diesel if I drove enough daily miles.

Last edited:

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much does the dual charger cost? Less than two separate chargers? Could wire two outlets to the circuit and set the timing schedules on the vehicles not to overlap as an alternative.
Sponsored