Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Last edited:

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
The diesel would beat the 4xe on a 300 mile drive, but certainly not on a typical 10 to 40 mile day, and I would bet on a 100-mile day, the 4xe still comes out way ahead.
See chart I posted before. The 4xe beats the diesel up to 80-90 miles since last charge, after that the diesel wins. So if you're doing lots of long distance driving, diesel makes more sense. If you're regularly commuting less than 80 miles, then the 4xe makes more sense. Great to have options! Thanks jeep! Now ship them!!

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
"As with any plug-in hybrid, the more you can drive on pure electricity, the better the cost equation becomes."

Jonnie4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
See chart I posted before. The 4xe beats the diesel up to 80-90 miles since last charge, after that the diesel wins. So if you're doing lots of long distance driving, diesel makes more sense. If you're regularly commuting less than 80 miles, then the 4xe makes more sense. Great to have options! Thanks jeep! Now ship them!!
I suspect your table does not take into account regenerative braking. Any idea what if anything this really could add to the math?

Even without factoring that in, I don't see the switch to the EcoDiesel (25 MPG combined) until about 130 miles of combined city/highway driving. See my calculations below:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Range / Mileage EPA Figures Published Capture.PNG

That said, they are likely pretty comparable between 90 and 130 (assuming regen breaking is not material) as there is only a small advantage to the 4xe in terms of efficiency in this band. But the HP and torque advantage over diesel is still there well after 130 since the electric motor is supposed to be able to draw on reserve power in the battery throughout even a very long trip. One last thought - if it is true highway driving, the EcoDiesel will definitely come out ahead earlier (29 mpg highway) but we would have to guess what the 4xe highway MPG is since they have only published the 20 MPG combined for the 4xe.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Don't forget the Diesel costs more not only to buy but maintenance is a lot higher. In some areas diesel also costs more than gas. Diesel is good for those who drive a lot of distance and I would have went that way if I drove that way.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
The Diesel is very appealing but factor in the 4xe's $7,500 it would take a lot of long distance drives to make up the $6,000 more the diesel costs initially.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
With very limited to no information about real world testing with the 4XE, I'm beginning to wonder if there is no battery regen technology built into this system (something I assumed by default since it's labeled a "hybrid"). Again, would also explain the lousy long range mpg.

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
With very limited to no information about real world testing with the 4XE, I'm beginning to wonder if there is no battery regen technology built into this system (something I assumed by default since it's labeled a "hybrid"). Again, would also explain the lousy long range mpg.
lol that would mean if you don't plug it in the battery is a one-time use. I highly doubt that's the case...

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Read the supplemental manual for the 4xe and it's very clear that the system has multiple levels of battery regen.

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
Source please?
The EPA. Gas AND Electric mode gets 49MPGe. That means driving it consuming both modes will yield you the equivalent of 49mpgs. There is a difference between running HYBRID mode full time, and running EV mode and then GAS mode. Leave it in Hybrid mode, get FAR better economy than any other wrangler to date.

2021 Jeep Wrangler 4dr 4xe (fueleconomy.gov)

epa.jpg

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
lol that would mean if you don't plug it in the battery is a one-time use. I highly doubt that's the case...
my speculative comment which seems to be debunked already, implied perhaps the gas engine doesn't regen the battery. Not that you can't charge the battery by plugging into a wall.
Sponsored