First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4xe, 16 Toyota Sienna, 06 Gallardo SE
Occupation
Self Employed
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Pow...del=Wrangler&srchtyp=ymm&pageno=1&rowLimit=50

Jeep Wrangler 4xe specs:
  • Range (all-electric)
    EPA: 21 miles (34 km) and 370 miles (595 km) total
  • 17 kWh battery
    Samsung SDI lithium-ion NMC cells; 96 cells total
  • 0-60 mph (96.5 km/h) in 6 seconds
  • all-wheel drive
  • peak system output of 280 kW (375-hp) and 637 Nm (470 lb.-ft.) of torque
    2.0-litre turbocharged gasoline I-4 engine with a high-voltage, liquid-cooled belt-connected motor generator unit, replacing the conventional alternator.
    Motor generator unit (134 horsepower / 181 pound-foot) integrated into eight-speed automatic transmission.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Range / Mileage EPA Figures Published Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 1.45.56 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Range / Mileage EPA Figures Published Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 1.43.28 PM
Sponsored

hisdigness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Sahara
Oh nice! Hopefully they start making those stickers and shipping these out!

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
The EPA states, “After the first 22 miles, the vehicle will function like a regular hybrid and consume only gasoline...”. It makes it sound like you don’t have the option of running in hybrid mode from the start, or that hybrid mode uses all of the battery first then just uses gas.

My understanding of hybrid is that it is a blend of electric + gas, not all electric then all gas. Meaning that you could, in theory, charge the battery to 100% and run in Hybrid mode and average above the 20mpg. What am I missing? It sounds like electric and hybrid are the same thing in this case.

Jamie Brown

First Name
Jamie Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 3500AT4, Nissan Leaf, RAM 4500
The EPA states, “After the first 22 miles, the vehicle will function like a regular hybrid and consume only gasoline...”. It makes it sound like you don’t have the option of running in hybrid mode from the start, or that hybrid mode uses all of the battery first then just uses gas.

My understanding of hybrid is that it is a blend of electric + gas, not all electric then all gas. Meaning that you could, in theory, charge the battery to 100% and run in Hybrid mode and average above the 20mpg. What am I missing? It sounds like electric and hybrid are the same thing in this case.
You have 3 buttons on the left side of the steering wheel on the dash where you can select the mode you want to run in. You can run in regular hybrid mode which will use the battery first then the gas engine or battery only, or gas only. I think the hybrid and battery only are pretty much the same. I will most likely be running in hybrid mode 99% of the time since that seems to be the most efficient.

Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
20MPG in hybrid mode? Thats it? was expecting 30+

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Plug in Hybrids are more efficient but they aren’t a magic bullet. 20 MPG city is pretty darn good, but where this will shine is as a commuter vehicle. Electric engines are more efficient at lower speeds so in traffic you will use a lot less energy. Plug it in at night and your 30 mile commute that usually costs you close to 2 gallons of gas may only require a gallon every other day or thereabouts. That adds up.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
It's hard to rate the mileage on a pHEV like this. For the first 20miles, you will use electricity almost exclusively, then switching to gasoline + electricity for the next 350 miles. If most of your trips are dominated by the "infinite" mileage achieved in the first 20miles, then your overall average mileage will far exceed the 20mpg rating. Actual mileage will be very dependent on trip length and charge frequency.

It would make sense to track total mileage on something like Fuelly to get a true measure of gas mileage. If I ever get mine, I'll try to keep good records and report them to the forum. With my expected usage, 50miles of electric and 100miles of gas per week, I'm expecting around 30MPG....but Jeep needs to release the darned thing, first.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Plug-in hybrid is half-ass product, either full gasoline, or full battery EV (give us 100kwh battery)
Even a 100kwh battery isn't enough for a heavy brick like a wrangler.

50 "MPGe" equates to 1.47 miles per kWh.

So even a "big" 100 kWh battery is then only good for 147 miles of range between charging. For the wrangler to make sense as a pure EV, it's going to need 200kWh of battery capacity. And at this time, that's still too expensive and too heavy to be practical. Would push the price of the wrangler well and significantly over $100k

So we won't be seeing "Magneto" hit production until at least 2025.

Sponsored

eg6turbo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Definitely a bait and switch to advertise one thing and then get shutdown by the epa...although I'm sure in a perfect scenario someone could hit 25 miles all electric...good example is the q5 plug in...they can go 28-29 miles but epa said otherwise. Will wait to see what big time reviewers can get. 20MPg combines tho is pretty whack but again extra 800 lbs will do that.

BTA

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru legacy
Definitely a bait and switch to advertise one thing and then get shutdown by the epa...although I'm sure in a perfect scenario someone could hit 25 miles all electric...good example is the q5 plug in...they can go 28-29 miles but epa said otherwise. Will wait to see what big time reviewers can get. 20MPg combines tho is pretty whack but again extra 800 lbs will do that.
the one argument people have raised is that jeep never changed the specs of the vehicle. the only thing that changed were the range and mpg estimates. jeep likely made their estimates in good faith of how EPA would test them. EPA testing was likely more strenuous or varied than had been expected.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Hard pass for me. I want a 392. Wouldn’t mind also having a p100D if I had the money but this 4xe does nothing for me.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I think the combined mpg is the most surprising. My ram is rated at 19 combined, but actually gets 17-18. Although with the majority of my days only going 30-40 miles, I would use less than a gallon of gas, I still expected a little more out of this.

With the $7500 rebate it still is a good deal, but I think I will hold off a little longer

GeneralKlinger

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE
Add me to the "Wait and See" category for some real world reviews before I toss my name into the hat. I will not qualify for the $7500, so for me, it's really about the MPG and HP gains. However, based on these estimates, there may not be any gains LOL
Sponsored