Sponsored

2021 Jeep Wrangler 2.0, strange noise at cold start.

ShariJeep

First Name
Shari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2012 JKU previously
Mine has the same issue. Dealer said it sounds like cam chain tensioners and they will be changing those in mine.
Did the dealership change the chain tensioners? Did it resolve the noise issue for you? Mine is making the same noise now.
Sponsored

7c102c600853ce38121

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 EU JLUR
No, I have not been to the dealership for oil change yet, although I'm close, 10% of oil life :) will post what dealer says.

On the other hand I must admit that I do not hear this nowadays, dunno..

ShariJeep

First Name
Shari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2012 JKU previously
Kudo's to S&B for providing quick, detailed, responses. Still concerned a little but will let it play out and see how it goes.
Are you still just waiting to see what happens? Mine started making this same noise a few weeks ago and only on cold start. Suppose to drop it off at the dealer today but they said it will be two weeks before they can look at it.

CPNYC212

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
When this engine started it seems to go through a “ticking” cycle for about 90 seconds before you finally hear the Cold Air Intake take a deep breath (around the 1:33 mark) and finally go to normal. It does this on every cold start now. I've had several Jeeps (JL's and JK's). I realize they are noisy. None them did (or do) this.

Video:
I bought a new 2021 wrangler high altitude, same engine and same problem. It started around 21-22k miles. I have the dealer working on it right now. They said they’ve heard this before with another owner at the dealership. They’re going to break down the engine.

Interested to hear what happens with yours and if this is going to turn into something bigger with models made in that year. Maybe they’ll have a recall. It’s still early but we’ll see if engines start seizing up or having other issues.

OP
OP
starrman73

starrman73

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 2.0
I bought a new 2021 wrangler high altitude, same engine and same problem. It started around 21-22k miles. I have the dealer working on it right now. They said they’ve heard this before with another owner at the dealership. They’re going to break down the engine.

Interested to hear what happens with yours and if this is going to turn into something bigger with models made in that year. Maybe they’ll have a recall. It’s still early but we’ll see if engines start seizing up or having other issues.
Sorry for the delay. They tore the engine on mine down twice. Once to find the issue and the second time because they put the old seals back in instead of replacing them. Ultimately, it was the tensioner that was the issue. Once that was fixed (and put back together properly) it was good to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
starrman73

starrman73

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 2.0
Did the dealership change the chain tensioners? Did it resolve the noise issue for you? Mine is making the same noise now.
Yup. That was what was replaced. Tensioner.

Julz

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Camaro & have a Willy on order.
Just wondering now that it have been a couple months, is the problem still fixed?
Sponsored