2021 Jeep with paint issues body + hard top

yyyames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
TLDR - Jeep Customer Care is god awful. Stellantis's quality control is awful. DO not buy anything from CDJR with the promise of getting whatever it is "fixed".

*** UPDATE to the post below ***

I spent a solid eight weeks chasing jeep corporate and this dealership off and on. In the end nothing was resolved. The resolution was to repaint virtually half of my jeep and as for the top jeep refused to replace it and the dealer refused to paint it. My understanding is that the way the top comes from the factory the dealer said they could not paint it to match a factory standard and jeep did not want to replace anything... They then wanted to paint pretty much the entire rear hood and passenger side of my jeep. I was offered a check of two car payments from the dealership as some kind of compensation which as of last week I was told was cancelled because Jeep corporate offered me a discount if I was to trade my jeep back to them. Not a great option as they wanted to give me close to 7K below what I paid for it because of its "condition" I KID YOU NOT. The dealer never notified me of the cancelled check they promised so when I chased them they said they would no no longer honor it. I ended up just selling the jeep and lost a few thousand. I've owned jeeps for over fifteen years and this will be my last one. I'm sure a lot of you love you're JL's but for what they cost being told to repaint your brand new car is unacceptable. Avoid Meador CDJR in FT worth...

*** Original Post ***

Hey folks I see lots of posts about paint issues on the forum which I am dealing with now after my purchase so I wanted to post here to see what some of you think or have dealt with.

I drove a few hours to a dealer to purchase our brand new 2021 wrangler. Upon arriving there was a noticeable issue with hardtop finish. I spotted the fiberglass and noticeable sanding on the top. However the CDJR dealer assured me they would take care of it and it was late in the afternoon and my son was with me so I missed all the other little things. I have bubbles in the clear coat around the body ( Below are pics of a few ), and what looks to be particles under the paint or rail dust in a couple other spots. Also I can see the primer on the tail gate hinges and little things like the screws on the metal plate around my AC controls being noticeable crooked all add up to me regretting buying this thing brand new. I've owned jeeps for many years. 1995 YJ, 2000 TJ, two JK and now this one. NONE were like this.

I've started a claim with Jeep Cares however they just bounce me back to this Dealership which is saying they will repaint these areas which amount to close to half of the truck, OR I can "trade it in" for less than I bought it for which I thought was very scummy... At time of purchase I was told "if you don't buy it someone else will" when I was trying to get some kind of discount because of the top. Thinking on that after the fact lead me to believe they did not really care about whatever condition it was in and its up to the customer to go though the process I am in now...

I think they're replacing the hardtop which is a step in the right direction however repainting major portions of my brand new jeep is not on the table for me. What do you all think is a fair solution? To me I bought a blemished product from Jeep the dealer clearly did not care to look over when it was delivered to them. I feel like If im stick with all of these blemishes in the finish of my brand new 40K jeep I should get some kind of compensation from jeep but I've never had to deal with something like this, and its only our second ever "new purchase".

I do quite like the jeep but wish I had looked at it like I would a used vehicle at purchase. My TJ's factory paintjob is far superior to our new JL. On another note every time I call jeep cares they sound like they're in some eastern country call center which I find really disappointing given its the most iconic american vehicle imo. A sign of the times I guess.

thanks folks!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with paint issues body + hard top 206868584_161002996088719_8739490243883265953_N_resize

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with paint issues body + hard top 207136047_179110670766244_3812862374412862983_N_resize

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with paint issues body + hard top 207250139_1077090156149500_4896783829439313941_N_resize

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with paint issues body + hard top 207741990_2629421787363898_323649445593276378_N_resize

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with paint issues body + hard top 208105546_310266947466755_1937221544284936166_N_resize

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with paint issues body + hard top RECEIVED_311257137346297.JPEG_resize

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with paint issues body + hard top RECEIVED_532774438078304.JPEG_resize

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with paint issues body + hard top RECEIVED_1551278465222954.JPEG_resize
Sponsored

Last edited:

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
Hey man Iā€™m sorry to hear what youā€™re going thru, Iā€™ve had some paint issues and it was a nightmare! I was bounced around dealerships to dealerships following everything Jeep cares told me to do and still havenā€™t gotten the issue resolved and gave up. Do your research on whoā€™s going to work on the paint job, if I wouldā€™ve known what I know now I wouldā€™ve done it with a dealership who has a paint shop on site.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Looks like it was damaged in transit, then repaired quick. They took the hardtop off when they did it and scraped the finish off the bottom wherever they sat it. Do you really want the place that did that chasing their tail to try to make it better. It will just get worse and worse.

You could go to a local body shop with a great reputation and get an estimate, they may allow that shop to handle it, who knows?

See what Carvana or Vroom or a similar place will give you for it. You may be surprised.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like it was damaged in transit, then repaired quick. They took the hardtop off when they did it and scraped the finish off the bottom wherever they sat it. Do you really want the place that did that chasing their tail to try to make it better. It will just get worse and worse.

You could go to a local body shop with a great reputation and get an estimate, they may allow that shop to handle it, who knows?

See what Carvana or Vroom or a similar place will give you for it. You may be surprised.
I tried the local body shop because Jeep cares recommended it to me, however they wonā€™t approve it. I had many repairs done on the same spot.

OP
OP

yyyames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport

Well the top is being swapped im pretty sure its all the other paint defects im frustrated about. I've been around the block and worked for nissan mitsu and going down the repainting route is not a smart idea. Im going to end up with a new top and thats probably the end of it but feel jeep should compensate me but I have a lot of doubts about that. If I end of trading it Im done with jeep over this.

Sponsored

OP
OP

yyyames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I tried the local body shop because Jeep cares recommended it to me, however they wonā€™t approve it. I had many repairs done on the same spot.
interesting Jeep Cares is suggesting local body shop as well. My local dealer here has an inhouse body shop im wry of taking it too. I don't particularly trust dealers after being a tech at one.

OP
OP

yyyames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Hey man Iā€™m sorry to hear what youā€™re going thru, Iā€™ve had some paint issues and it was a nightmare! I was bounced around dealerships to dealerships following everything Jeep cares told me to do and still havenā€™t gotten the issue resolved and gave up. Do your research on whoā€™s going to work on the paint job, if I wouldā€™ve known what I know now I wouldā€™ve done it with a dealership who has a paint shop on site.
Its pretty gross to see many similar threads. So Jeep Cares did nothing for you?

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its pretty gross to see many similar threads. So Jeep Cares did nothing for you?
After months of going back and forth, I gave up because the dealership I went to sent it to a third party paint shop and they both agreed not to work on my car any longer due to no solutions. The other dealerships I went to they all denied to work on my car because they didnā€™t want the headache.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you read the thread I started all the details are there. This probably will be my last jeep.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
David, What are ". . . some paint issues"?? I know this doesn't help, but my 21 White Willys has no issues at all. It's so good, I was actually expecting less when I bought it.

G.

Sponsored

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
David, What are ". . . some paint issues"?? I know this doesn't help, but my 21 White Willys has no issues at all. It's so good, I was actually expecting less when I bought it.

G.
Near the gas cap panel I have a crack in the paint.

88A0687D-89EB-4717-8BCB-651E377DA77C.jpeg

OP
OP

yyyames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
After months of going back and forth, I gave up because the dealership I went to sent it to a third party paint shop and they both agreed not to work on my car any longer due to no solutions. The other dealerships I went to they all denied to work on my car because they didnā€™t want the headache.
That really sucks. The dealership called to tell me they can order the rear end of the top but it comes without glass which they will have to install ( aftermarket I am assuming ) and won't have one till august or september. Complete BS they can sell a car like this then I have to chase everyone ( jeep cares included ) to rectify anything. The GSM called me and asked if there is something else there I might want however no idea of what they would take my jeep back for and of course everything else on their lot is more expensive... I hope he does not call me back and offer me substantially less then expect me to buy a gladiator etc for substantially more. Getting bend over backwards by a brand I've been loyal to for close to 20 years is amazing.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That really sucks. The dealership called to tell me they can order the rear end of the top but it comes without glass which they will have to install ( aftermarket I am assuming ) and won't have one till august or september. Complete BS they can sell a car like this then I have to chase everyone ( jeep cares included ) to rectify anything. The GSM called me and asked if there is something else there I might want however no idea of what they would take my jeep back for and of course everything else on their lot is more expensive... I hope he does not call me back and offer me substantially less then expect me to buy a gladiator etc for substantially more. Getting bend over backwards by a brand I've been loyal to for close to 20 years is amazing.
I got that same spot painted about 6 times and every time I was leaving the shop it looked good for about a day or so and it always came back.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for tagging us here, yyyames. I see in your first post you state you are already working with Jeep Cares. Do you have your case number handy so I can dig in? Please send it to me in private message and I can assist.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored