Sponsored

2021 Jeep with major paint issues (hardtop)!

MyThirdJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 JK
Just picked up a 2021 JLU Rubicon with the color matched hard top on Saturday. It was pouring rain so I didn't spend any time looking at Jeep before I signed the purchase contract. Washed off the Jeep yesterday in my driveway and noticed that the painted hardtop is absolutely terrible. There are globs of paint running down the seams and channels of the hardtop. In some spots, the black base coat is bleeding through.

I am visiting my dealership tonight after work. Has anyone had a similar experience/problem with their painted hardtop? What was the resolution? Should I be dealing with the dealership or FCA directly? I would not have bought this Jeep had I noticed these paint issues (would've looked for another one without issues). How something slips past quality control on a $56K (msrp) vehicle is beyond me.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

That is weird. The paint job on my JL is spotless, both on the metal and the fiberglass.

I wonder if these are more unintended consequences from the pandemic, the shutdown, switching suppliers and all that. Or perhaps it got damaged during transport and was shoddily repaired.

In any event, that is simply unacceptable. FCA charges an arm and a leg for these hardtops.

Hope you get it resolved.

OP
OP

MyThirdJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 JK
No, this was a brand new 2021 with a factory painted hard top.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I would say begin with the dealer. If the dealership is genuine they will make it right. If they're sleazy, just be prepared for a fight. If they knew about the issue, they should have had it fixed before listing the vehicle for sale. Or, they took advantage of the downpour to sell you a damaged product, and will now fight you tooth and nail on it. They may say it's on you for choosing to buy a vehicle in the pouring rain without competing a proper inspection.

Or they'll take care of it seamlessly, if they're a dealer with legitimate customer service. Good luck.

OP
OP

MyThirdJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 JK
No one painted the hardtop except FCA. Like I stated, its a 2021 and the build sheet, sticker, etc. all state it came factory painted.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It’s odd that this happened to you.

As you have already planned, go to your dealer and discuss. i am confident that the resolution will be a quick trip to their body shop for repainting. I am also confident that all of it will be covered and free to you.

i had a similar issue on a BMW once. It had been “keyed” while on the dealer lot. We purchased it anyway with their promise to repaint the doors. They did and it was perfect for 14 years thereafter.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Happened to me on a 2019 white JLUR. Door hinges and top had paint glob issues and in some places looked like it was "touched up" with an off white color. Dealership repainted it all.

OP
OP

MyThirdJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 JK
It’s odd that this happened to you.

As you have already planned, go to your dealer and discuss. i am confident that the resolution will be a quick trip to their body shop for repainting. I am also confident that all of it will be covered and free to you.

i had a similar issue on a BMW once. It had been “keyed” while on the dealer lot. We purchased it anyway with their promise to repaint the doors. They did and it was perfect for 14 years thereafter.
I hope that's the case. I
Happened to me on a 2019 white JLUR. Door hinges and top had paint glob issues and in some places looked like it was "touched up" with an off white color. Dealership repainted it all.
How did it turn out? Has it held up as expected? Mine is white as well.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with major paint issues (hardtop)! IMG_9869
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with major paint issues (hardtop)! IMG_9870
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep with major paint issues (hardtop)! IMG_9871

Sponsored

Modeldude

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Sorry for this to be my first post but the QC really sucks IMO. I have a hood that was spot corrected in the factory and then clear coated over. Clear is very good but the metal flakes in the Crystal Granite base go different directions in a couple of spots on the hood. Disapointing, give the cost of the Jeep but I think QC sucks everywhere these days. No one gives a shit.

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I hope that's the case. I

How did it turn out? Has it held up as expected? Mine is white as well.
The paint on my 2019 is really good. That’s why I am an absolute freak about inspecting the vehicle when it arrives at the dealership...I don’t care how annoyed they are.
I am retired from FoMoCo, my guess is that it was either damaged at the plant and ended up at the plant body shop or damaged during transport and went through the dealership body shop.
while visiting assembly plants I saw many a new vehicle being fixed at the plant body shop from damage on the line.

If I were you, I would demand a new factory painted top Be shipped to the dealer and replaced. Ford would DSO special painted body parts to dealers All the time. The dealership will probably not want to do this since you’ve already taken delivery, but I would demand to get the zone manager involved and try.

you paid for a NEW vehicle...I would demand a new factory painted top.
Sponsored