SandStorm4x4

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21Sarge 392, ‘15 Tank JKUR, ‘07 Resc.GreenJKUR
It is used in power wagons and 3500 gas trucks,one ton axle trucks
makes perfect sense now , the 8HP75 should have zero issues in the 392 Rubicon platform with 1 tons and 40’s

thank you !!
Sponsored

SandStorm4x4

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got this from the RAM forum where a member laid out the differences pretty well with sources:

It's a new transmission (8HP75 vs. 8HP70). But it took a lot of digging to understand what that last digit means...

Statements from Ram's own press releases:
  • New generation of TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmissions provide improved efficiency with more powerful control computers
  • The 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 uses an upgraded TorqueFlite 8HP75 transmission.
  • Both transmissions use a new generation of computer controllers that process data faster and coordinate transmission operation with the eTorque mild hybrid system. There are more than 40 individual shift maps to optimize shift changes and points for fuel economy, performance and drivability.
  • The 2019 Ram 1500 continues to use the thermal management system to bring the transmission fluid and engine oil to operating temperature quickly. The system also serves a cooling function under high load/high ambient temperature conditions to ensure the transmission fluid temperature is controlled.
  • 2019 Ram 1500 models employing the legendary 5.7L HEMI V8 utilize the new TorqueFlite 8HP75 transmission, with a torque capacity of 545 lb-ft.
More comments from other sources:
  • The eight-speed has been upgraded with weight reductions and durability upgrades (Allpar).
  • ...Ram has upgraded their 8-speed automatic for the 2019 Ram 1500. The truck will launch with the 5.7L HEMI V8 and the higher-rated 8-speed that backs it up. Ram updated some hardware and software to make the transmission handle higher loads and operate more smoothly...(TFLtruck).
  • Wikipedia shows the 8HP75 (2nd Generation) being used in the 2019+ Ram (DT) and rated for 750 N-m, whereas 2018 and earlier Rams (DS) use the 8HP70, rated at 700 N-m.
  • The 8HP75 is stronger than the 8HP70 and will hold 50 more N-m (553 lb-ft capacity on the 75 compared to 516 for the 70). It shifts faster and is supposedly more efficient too (less parasitic loss) (Ramforumz).
And maybe the best source of detailed information is from an obscure site:
  • The ZF 8HP75 transmission transfers power from the engine to the road through 4 planetary gearsets and 5 multi-plate clutch pack. To increase both operating and fuel efficiency, the ZF 8HP75 transmission is designed to only keep two of its five clutches (3 rotating and 2 brake) open at any given time. This significantly reduces spin losses, and the little springs between the clutch friction elements, help to keep the clutch completely open to improve both efficiency and the transmission’s coasting function. This ZF 8HP transmission can also immediately downshift from 8th to 2nd gear when maximum performance is required.
  • To provide compatibility with hybrid drivetrain components, the ZF 8HP75 transmission control unit has been upgraded to process commands significantly faster. Some applications will have as many as 40 individual shift maps, along with compatibility with thermal management systems. The ZF 8HP75 hydraulic impulse oil storage system (8HP75 HIS System) has been reengineered to provide much faster reaction when coupled with an engine start/stop system. Additionally, the 8HP75 transmission works with shift-by-wire setups, and the ZF 8HP75 transmission fluid is said to last a lifetime of the vehicle. However, it is highly recommended to perform a transmission fluid change at normal intervals (Transmission Repair Cost Guide).
very thorough information- thank you

looks like the 8HP75 is much improved

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
...this leads me to further believe the Jeep reps are ill informed and the 392 will have no problems with 1 ton axles.

i appreciate the response
That is an accurate statement. I had a forum member not long ago PM me to ask about half doors, and said that his dealer was having trouble entering his order with the half doors and no sky-roof, and had reached out to his local Jeep Rep, who INSISTED that the half-doors (dual door group) were ONLY available with the the Sky-Roof..

All I could offer was to tell his dealer that the rep was wrong, and that my OWN order with the dual-door group and just the standard 392 body-colored hardtop had long been accepted, and already had a ship date.

Jeep does have a lot of products, but at the end of the day, the rep is supposed to be the expert that dealers can reach out to for accurate information. That's unfortunately not always the case.

Just my 02 cents.

Bkrup

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK Rubicon 2021 JLU Rubicon
Not a 392 guy but did watch "Trail Recon" on you tube got to take the 392 out into Moab thought you would like to know. Good luck with your rigs they will be sweet!

jsore

First Name
James Sorenson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC Trailhawk, '21 392 traded, '24 392 ordered
I went to jeep.com and built a 392. Went to my dealer and requested them to order. Thier reply was 21 allocation filled we can try Aug '21 for a 22 model allocation. Why is Jeep showing the 392 as being available on thier web site.​

Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I went to jeep.com and built a 392. Went to my dealer and requested them to order. Thier reply was 21 allocation filled we can try Aug '21 for a 22 model allocation. Why is Jeep showing the 392 as being available on thier web site.​
Well, "available" is a generic term that manufacturers use, that really just means that a vehicle has begun production. Have you reached out to other dealers to see if they have any 21 allocation left?

EDIT: I've seen more posts since I typed you this, that corroborates what your dealer said, no more 392 orders, at least for 2021. Wow

And in this case then, I would agree with you they should remove the "available" label.

Last edited:

jsore

First Name
James Sorenson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9​
Well, "available" is a generic term that manufacturers use, that really just means that a vehicle has begun production. Have you reached out to other dealers to see if they have any 21 allocation left?

EDIT: I've seen more posts since I typed you this, that corroborates what your dealer said, no more 392 orders, at least for 2021. Wow

And in this case then, I would agree with you they should remove the "available" label.
Found one in California, in transit for $109,000 double wow!

SandStorm4x4

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9​

Found one in California, in transit for $109,000 double wow!
my dealer here in utah told me that the dealerships in Vegas were marking them up $25K-$30K and they already had them all sold 😳 that’s nuts to go that high over

Sponsored

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
Ordering my 392 tomorrow if I can finalize color. Originally when looking at a standard Rubicon I wanted sting gray. Now with the bronze accents I am liking black. Got all the options sorted. The dealer has 3 on the way and will know tomorrow colors and options. If one of them is black and equipped to my liking I will reserve. If not it's an order. Exited but not in a big hurry to starting paying on it. 6 months?

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
my dealer here in utah told me that the dealerships in Vegas were marking them up $25K-$30K and they already had them all sold 😳 that’s nuts to go that high over
Thankfully my dealer here in Las Vegas had 12 allocations and selling them at MSRP, if they ever show up. Been in D status almost a month which seems to be the average. Hopefully D1 soon

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ordering my 392 tomorrow if I can finalize color. Originally when looking at a standard Rubicon I wanted sting gray. Now with the bronze accents I am liking black. Got all the options sorted. The dealer has 3 on the way and will know tomorrow colors and options. If one of them is black and equipped to my liking I will reserve. If not it's an order. Exited but not in a big hurry to starting paying on it. 6 months?
Hey Matt, there has been a small handful of posts suggesting that as of today, dealers can no longer order 2021 392's, at least for now. I would ask your dealer to confirm if this is true or not before you pass on one of the 3 he has on the way. Could be a very long wait if you order.

Just a heads up,
Good luck either way!

jsore

First Name
James Sorenson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm your neighbor Kanab here w/o a 392

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Ninja 650R, Jeep 392, Yamaha TTR230
excited. 699Vins hit the line next week!

AWESOME! Thanks for the info!!! (However You Got It .?.) My VIN is 699701.

I was just on jeep chat yesterday, they couldn't tell me my Status code (just like the last time I requested it, 2 weeks ago) but they said they have all the parts and it's ready for build, which is what I heard 2 weeks back as well.

My dealership informed me yesterday that it's still in D1 status. I have an estimated ship date of 26 April. So.... let's keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks Again for the good news, Desert Darlin :)
Sponsored