Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Some bittersweet news, just spoke with my original dealer with the first 392 I ordered, and it arrived today. He wanted to double check that I was sure I wasn't interested before they sold it. Which was pretty cool of them.

And of course it sucks that knowing if I hadn't changed my mind about the Off-Road Camera and the Half-doors, I'd be picking her up today. :puke: But, cool nonetheless that it arrived already.

And before anyone asks, yes they did already have a buyer, so it is unfortunately spoken for.

(It was VIN # 634208 for anyone still tracking deliveries.)
Sponsored

SandStorm4x4

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21Sarge 392, ā€˜15 Tank JKUR, ā€˜07 Resc.GreenJKUR
can anyone confirm the exact transmission in the 392 Rubicon ? all i can find is ā€œtorquefliteā€ 8 speed, i am assuming it is the 8HP70 that is also used in other hemi models. the reason i am asking is last friday at EJS at the Jeep display booths ( it took me several people to go through to get some kind of a final answer ) the Jeep rep there told me that the new 392 Rubicon ā€œcan not handle aftermarket 1 ton axles or Dana 60s due to the transmission not being able to handle themā€ and that they called someone higher up than them to confirm this. i was surprised with that answer , and i said are you sure itā€™s not the transfer case ? they assured me the transmission would not be to able handle 1 ton axles .......
so my quest continued , i found another Jeep rep who dove a bit deeper with me on this subject and we realized that Cassie Currie has modded his Jeep JLs and Galdiators with 1 tons and left all
of the drive train stock. as far as i know the JLs and Gladiators do not have the 8HP70 transmission they have the 8HP45.
so the question is - does the 8HP45 hold up to 1 tons no problem b/c of the lower amount of HP and torque from the Pentastar? why would the increased HP and torque from the 392 affect the transmission with 1 tons ?
any info to please help clarify would be greatly appreciated.

i was planning on running Currie F9s with 10ā€ ring gear and Nitto 40ā€™s right off the bat after receiving my 392 ..... but this curve ball of info has me questioning the whole 392 set up now ..... if i need to swap a transmission and possibly a transfer case to run 1 ton axles and 40s iā€™m better off just doing a Hemi swap in my current Rubicon

i will also be calling Currie tomorrow to pick their brain about this as well.

thank you

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
can anyone confirm the exact transmission in the 392 Rubicon ? all i can find is ā€œtorquefliteā€ 8 speed, i am assuming it is the 8HP70 that is also used in other hemi models. the reason i am asking is last friday at EJS at the Jeep display booths ( it took me several people to go through to get some kind of a final answer ) the Jeep rep there told me that the new 392 Rubicon ā€œcan not handle aftermarket 1 ton axles or Dana 60s due to the transmission not being able to handle themā€ and that they called someone higher up than them to confirm this. i was surprised with that answer , and i said are you sure itā€™s not the transfer case ? they assured me the transmission would not be to able handle 1 ton axles .......
so my quest continued , i found another Jeep rep who dove a bit deeper with me on this subject and we realized that Cassie Currie has modded his Jeep JLs and Galdiators with 1 tons and left all
of the drive train stock. as far as i know the JLs and Gladiators do not have the 8HP70 transmission they have the 8HP45.
so the question is - does the 8HP45 hold up to 1 tons no problem b/c of the lower amount of HP and torque from the Pentastar? why would the increased HP and torque from the 392 affect the transmission with 1 tons ?

i was planning on running Currie F9s with 10ā€ ring gear and Nitto 40ā€™s right off the bat after receiving my 392 ..... but this curve ball of info has me questioning the whole 392 set up now ..... if i need to swap a transmission and possibly a transfer case to run 1 ton axles and 40s iā€™m better off just doing a Hemi swap in my current Rubicon

thank you
That doesn't make sense. It would seem that proper gearing would eliminate the stress and the 8HP70 is rated a lot higher then the 8HP45. Can't wait to hear what you find out.

Sponsored

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
Holy Mother of Pearl!!! My Eagle has landed!!! Going through PDI today and I pick it up in the morning. So excited, thereā€™s no way I get any sleep tonight. Here are a few pics the dealer sent me.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep Rubicon 392 first Vin and order, build and delivery tracking list 76DECC18-96F7-4836-AC05-BE5FED6A70F1
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep Rubicon 392 first Vin and order, build and delivery tracking list 76DECC18-96F7-4836-AC05-BE5FED6A70F1
Nope. That is not mother of pearl. Its hydro blue pearl coat. By the way, blue is the fastest color, thats why I got blue too. Now if i could get out of D status...

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 392, 1974 Hemi Cherokee
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber

thank you
Hogwash. Your transmission has no idea what axles are under the rig. Why would it care? The trans is an 8HP75 too.

SandStorm4x4

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That doesn't make sense. It would seem that proper gearing would eliminate the stress and the 8HP70 is rated a lot higher then the 8HP45. Can't wait to hear what you find out.
i agree completely , proper axle gearing should take care of it.

SandStorm4x4

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hogwash. Your transmission has no idea what axles are under the rig. Why would it care? The trans is an 8HP75 too.
itā€™s an 8HP75 ? didnā€™t know about those .... only knew the 8HP70 and 8HP90 for the hellcats. so an 8HP75 should be even more adequate to handle the torque loads.

it was definitely a weird response for sure form the Jeep reps. does not make sense.

thank you for your input

Last edited:

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
itā€™s an 8HP75 ? didnā€™t know about those .... only knew the 8HP70 and 8HP90 for the hellcats. so an 8HP75 should be even more adequate to handle the torque loads.

it was definitely a weird response for sure form the Jeep reps. does make sense.

thank you for your input
From Jeepā€™s website.

A9F72024-CC2E-4229-8924-E181EDB1E1F8.png

Sponsored

SandStorm4x4

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From Jeepā€™s website.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep Rubicon 392 first Vin and order, build and delivery tracking list A9F72024-CC2E-4229-8924-E181EDB1E1F8
thank you !
i looked on a 392 spec sheet and it didnā€™t have anything specific for the trans listed.
do you know of any other vehicle that also uses the use 8HP75 ?
just curious of the setup of those .....

this leads me to further believe the Jeep reps are ill informed and the 392 will have no problems with 1 ton axles.

i appreciate the response

cmtaylo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 yugo
thank you !
i looked on a 392 spec sheet and it didnā€™t have anything specific for the trans listed.
do you know of any other vehicle that also uses the use 8HP75 ?
just curious of the setup of those .....

this leads me to further believe the Jeep reps are ill informed and the 392 will have no problems with 1 ton axles.

i appreciate the response
It is used in power wagons and 3500 gas trucks,one ton axle trucks

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
Well I got the news that Iā€™m officially in KZ status as of today!! Now load that thing up and ship it out!!!
Nice! Maybe they can throw mine on there along with yours too. lol.

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Got this from the RAM forum where a member laid out the differences pretty well with sources:

It's a new transmission (8HP75 vs. 8HP70). But it took a lot of digging to understand what that last digit means...

Statements from Ram's own press releases:
  • New generation of TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmissions provide improved efficiency with more powerful control computers
  • The 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 uses an upgraded TorqueFlite 8HP75 transmission.
  • Both transmissions use a new generation of computer controllers that process data faster and coordinate transmission operation with the eTorque mild hybrid system. There are more than 40 individual shift maps to optimize shift changes and points for fuel economy, performance and drivability.
  • The 2019 Ram 1500 continues to use the thermal management system to bring the transmission fluid and engine oil to operating temperature quickly. The system also serves a cooling function under high load/high ambient temperature conditions to ensure the transmission fluid temperature is controlled.
  • 2019 Ram 1500 models employing the legendary 5.7L HEMI V8 utilize the new TorqueFlite 8HP75 transmission, with a torque capacity of 545 lb-ft.
More comments from other sources:
  • The eight-speed has been upgraded with weight reductions and durability upgrades (Allpar).
  • ...Ram has upgraded their 8-speed automatic for the 2019 Ram 1500. The truck will launch with the 5.7L HEMI V8 and the higher-rated 8-speed that backs it up. Ram updated some hardware and software to make the transmission handle higher loads and operate more smoothly...(TFLtruck).
  • Wikipedia shows the 8HP75 (2nd Generation) being used in the 2019+ Ram (DT) and rated for 750 N-m, whereas 2018 and earlier Rams (DS) use the 8HP70, rated at 700 N-m.
  • The 8HP75 is stronger than the 8HP70 and will hold 50 more N-m (553 lb-ft capacity on the 75 compared to 516 for the 70). It shifts faster and is supposedly more efficient too (less parasitic loss) (Ramforumz).
And maybe the best source of detailed information is from an obscure site:
  • The ZF 8HP75 transmission transfers power from the engine to the road through 4 planetary gearsets and 5 multi-plate clutch pack. To increase both operating and fuel efficiency, the ZF 8HP75 transmission is designed to only keep two of its five clutches (3 rotating and 2 brake) open at any given time. This significantly reduces spin losses, and the little springs between the clutch friction elements, help to keep the clutch completely open to improve both efficiency and the transmissionā€™s coasting function. This ZF 8HP transmission can also immediately downshift from 8th to 2nd gear when maximum performance is required.
  • To provide compatibility with hybrid drivetrain components, the ZF 8HP75 transmission control unit has been upgraded to process commands significantly faster. Some applications will have as many as 40 individual shift maps, along with compatibility with thermal management systems. The ZF 8HP75 hydraulic impulse oil storage system (8HP75 HIS System) has been reengineered to provide much faster reaction when coupled with an engine start/stop system. Additionally, the 8HP75 transmission works with shift-by-wire setups, and the ZF 8HP75 transmission fluid is said to last a lifetime of the vehicle. However, it is highly recommended to perform a transmission fluid change at normal intervals (Transmission Repair Cost Guide).
Sponsored