Sponsored

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Ninja 650R, Jeep 392, Yamaha TTR230
A couple of thoughts about some of your questions...

(This is kinda long by the way, so I apologize up front!)

First off: I'm new to the Jeep ordering world too, and there is a post here on the forum that spells out the whole process of ordering a new Wrangler, and all of the different terms and stages your order will go through, (and how long they may, or may not take), that I found incredibly helpful, and I highly recommend looking at it!
Here's the link to that post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-build-tracking-and-delivery-process.54344/

Second: The comment about your dealer adding your name to the order could absolutely help, at least based on my experience.

I talk about my situation/experience a bit in post # 86 and post # 90 in this thread if you're interested in more of the back story. But basically, when my first dealer was told there was no way to add an important (to me) option that I had somehow missed on my first order, because the VIN had already been issued, he agreed to let me out of the order if I wanted. While trying to decide what to do, I went looking for a local dealer with an open allocation to see if there were any left available. I called several dealerships, and none had an "available" open allocation, but I did find a local dealer who had received, I think it was 3 total allocations, and if I recall correctly, only one was a customers order. The other two he had ordered as inventory to sell when they arrived. His non-customer ordered cars had not yet been issued Vins despite ordering them very early on. (11-20-20)

He thought that we could possibly reconfigure one of his unsold allocations that had already been submitted, but he suggested I decide whether or not try, really, really fast, because like my first dealer had experienced, once the vins are issued they will not accept any changes.

To your point.. He also told me that customer orders are typically prioritized over dealer orders, and that was likely why the other two had not yet been issued Vins. But he was hopeful that once we changed the order to my name, it might get bumped up and be accepted quickly, and still be issued a VIN relatively quickly too. Which is exactly what happened.

Your experience may vary of course, and I am by no means an authority on any of this, but I at least wanted to share my experience up to this point, and maybe give you some hope that yours might progress faster now too.

Good luck, and feel free to ask if you have any other questions about my order!

-Rob
A couple of thoughts about some of your questions...

(This is kinda long by the way, so I apologize up front!)

First off: I'm new to the Jeep ordering world too, and there is a post here on the forum that spells out the whole process of ordering a new Wrangler, and all of the different terms and stages your order will go through, (and how long they may, or may not take), that I found incredibly helpful, and I highly recommend looking at it!
Here's the link to that post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-build-tracking-and-delivery-process.54344/

Second: The comment about your dealer adding your name to the order could absolutely help, at least based on my experience.

I talk about my situation/experience a bit in post # 86 and post # 90 in this thread if you're interested in more of the back story. But basically, when my first dealer was told there was no way to add an important (to me) option that I had somehow missed on my first order, because the VIN had already been issued, he agreed to let me out of the order if I wanted. While trying to decide what to do, I went looking for a local dealer with an open allocation to see if there were any left available. I called several dealerships, and none had an "available" open allocation, but I did find a local dealer who had received, I think it was 3 total allocations, and if I recall correctly, only one was a customers order. The other two he had ordered as inventory to sell when they arrived. His non-customer ordered cars had not yet been issued Vins despite ordering them very early on. (11-20-20)

He thought that we could possibly reconfigure one of his unsold allocations that had already been submitted, but he suggested I decide whether or not try, really, really fast, because like my first dealer had experienced, once the vins are issued they will not accept any changes.

To your point.. He also told me that customer orders are typically prioritized over dealer orders, and that was likely why the other two had not yet been issued Vins. But he was hopeful that once we changed the order to my name, it might get bumped up and be accepted quickly, and still be issued a VIN relatively quickly too. Which is exactly what happened.

Your experience may vary of course, and I am by no means an authority on any of this, but I at least wanted to share my experience up to this point, and maybe give you some hope that yours might progress faster now too.

Good luck, and feel free to ask if you have any other questions about my order!

-Rob

Thank You Very Much, Rob for your very insightful response!!!

Reading thru the link you shared it reads:
"The dealer may show/give you a Configuration Preview sheet as you work through options and pricing. This is not the POC. You will see a Build Priority of 99 on it. On the POC you will see a Build Priority of 01 which means the order was submitted, the computer accepted it, there were no errors on the order and it is now in D status."

This is ~kinda~ where I'm at. My POC Build Priority went from 99 to 01; however, my Status did not go from BX to D. Per the article, once the Status becomes D the dealership (thus me) have little control over the schedule, but at least it has the next step 'Green Light' with Jeep. Referencing my initial comment/question this here is an example, this is where I wonder if there's another step my dealership should be acting on to get me to D?

Also, the dealership and I went thru all the options I'd like; however, they are not discussing price until more is known on pricing and they are not accepting a deposit from me until a price is known, which is understandable in my mind, UNLESS this is a contributing factor preventing me from getting to D status. I've asked several times if they'd like a deposit, but they do not.

The article also mentions to ask for a VIN within 5 working days of receiving the VON. I have not done that, but I'd think the dealership should just know to do that if it helps in getting Jeep's eyes on my order. Or again, maybe Jeep's eyes are elsewhere until my dealership performs some action to get my POC Status to D?

Do you (or anyone) know which entity (Dealership or Jeep) is responsible for the BX to D transition?

I want to email my dealership today inquiring on some of this, but I also want to caution myself as I don't want to be a pest or have them think "Who Is This Guy?" getting into the weeds of their business practices.
(Now with that said, my dealership has truly been AWESOME!!! I'm very very grateful they are even offering me their only 392 allocation. And once this is all done & said w/keys in hand I'm going to do something really nice for the 2 sales people who have helped me thru all this. I suspect I'll have a little time to figure that out though.)

Thank you again, Rob.
Have a Great Day!
~justin
Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Thank You Very Much, Rob for your very insightful response!!!

Reading thru the link you shared it reads:
"The dealer may show/give you a Configuration Preview sheet as you work through options and pricing. This is not the POC. You will see a Build Priority of 99 on it. On the POC you will see a Build Priority of 01 which means the order was submitted, the computer accepted it, there were no errors on the order and it is now in D status."

This is ~kinda~ where I'm at. My POC Build Priority went from 99 to 01; however, my Status did not go from BX to D. Per the article, once the Status becomes D the dealership (thus me) have little control over the schedule, but at least it has the next step 'Green Light' with Jeep. Referencing my initial comment/question this here is an example, this is where I wonder if there's another step my dealership should be acting on to get me to D?

Also, the dealership and I went thru all the options I'd like; however, they are not discussing price until more is known on pricing and they are not accepting a deposit from me until a price is known, which is understandable in my mind, UNLESS this is a contributing factor preventing me from getting to D status. I've asked several times if they'd like a deposit, but they do not.

The article also mentions to ask for a VIN within 5 working days of receiving the VON. I have not done that, but I'd think the dealership should just know to do that if it helps in getting Jeep's eyes on my order. Or again, maybe Jeep's eyes are elsewhere until my dealership performs some action to get my POC Status to D?

Do you (or anyone) know which entity (Dealership or Jeep) is responsible for the BX to D transition?

I want to email my dealership today inquiring on some of this, but I also want to caution myself as I don't want to be a pest or have them think "Who Is This Guy?" getting into the weeds of their business practices.
(Now with that said, my dealership has truly been AWESOME!!! I'm very very grateful they are even offering me their only 392 allocation. And once this is all done & said w/keys in hand I'm going to do something really nice for the 2 sales people who have helped me thru all this. I suspect I'll have a little time to figure that out though.)

Thank you again, Rob.
Have a Great Day!
~justin
Hey Justin, I'm going to try to answer or share some insight on some of these the best I can, but keep in mind that I'm fairly new to this too, so some of my thoughts might not necessarily be 100% accurate...

*Also along those lines, before you put too much faith in anything I have to offer, please note that you may have better luck reaching out to Jeep directly for more informed/accurate explanations than I can give you. Which I think you can do via the "Contact Us" link on their website, or via "Jeep Cares" somewhere here on the Forum, or through the Jeep Chat option, which is also found in the Contact Us and FAQ pages on Jeep's own website.

*Note: The Jeep Chat option is probably the easiest, and fastest way to attempt to get questions answered since it's a live conversation, but that's depending on the time of day since they do have regular hours, (that of course I don't recall off the top of my head), but it's important to know that they are not available 24/7.

*However, there is a BIG caveat to keep in mind with Jeep Chat... As I've been told before & have now personally experienced, the responses you get there are VERY hit or miss, depending entirely on who you get when you launch the chat window. Some will happily answer your questions, in detail, and then some will answer the exact same questions with "You will need to reach out to your dealer for that information".
*I even made the mistake once after getting that response when checking to see if there had been any updates or changes to my order status, of mentioning that the last person I spoke to at Jeep Chat was able to see my status, and the lady I was speaking with simply responded with "Thank you for your understanding."

Which left me kinda like.... uhh, ok? 🤔

Anyway, don't get too disheartened if you use the Jeep chat feature and get a response like the latter. Just try again later, or maybe the next day, and try to keep your questions as simplified as possible. (not too wordy, like my responses to you! ;) )

*Also, one last thing about JC, in case you're not already familiar with the Jeep Chat option, you will need to give your VON number if you haven't yet been issued a VIN, which should be on your POC towards the top if you don't already know it. And they will also usually ask for your name, number, and address too, to verify that they are speaking with the actual customer for that order.

Ok, Whew! Having said all that.. I'll try my best to address your concerns:

First up: "This is ~kinda~ where I'm at. My POC Build Priority went from 99 to 01; however, my Status did not go from BX to D. Per the article, once the Status becomes D the dealership (thus me) have little control over the schedule, but at least it has the next step 'Green Light' with Jeep. Referencing my initial comment/question this here is an example, this is where I wonder if there's another step my dealership should be acting on to get me to D?"

My thoughts: It's my understanding that outside of adding your name to the order like I previously talked about in post # 110, and ensuring that it is in fact marked as a "Sold Order", there isn't anything else that your dealer can do to push something to D status. I think that when the author mentions that once in D, it is "now out of their hands", he is just referencing the fact that we touched on earlier, which is that once an order receives a VIN and has officially entered D status, that there are no changes, or requests of any kind allowed past that point. So you should be good there.

Second Up: "The article also mentions to ask for a VIN within 5 working days of receiving the VON. I have not done that, but I'd think the dealership should just know to do that if it helps in getting Jeep's eyes on my order. Or again, maybe Jeep's eyes are elsewhere until my dealership performs some action to get my POC Status to D?"

My Thoughts: It's important to note first, that both D status and your VIN come directly from, and only from FCA, not the dealer. So there likely isn't anything a dealer can do beyond checking to see if there is a problem that is keeping an order that's for an otherwise, already available model like a Sport or Standard Rubicon from being scheduled.

Bearing that in mind, the "check for your VIN within 5 days" suggestion is probably more applicable to when someone is ordering a regular model that is already in production, and is also not being built in any sort of limited numbers.

~Therefore in my op, it's not really relevant to the 392, at least not yet.

Third Up: "Also, the dealership and I went thru all the options I'd like; however, they are not discussing price until more is known on pricing and they are not accepting a deposit from me until a price is known, which is understandable in my mind, UNLESS this is a contributing factor preventing me from getting to D status. I've asked several times if they'd like a deposit, but they do not."

My Thoughts: This one is a bit trickier, depending on what you and your dealership have agreed upon, and I want to be extra cautious with how I answer it, so as not to cause you any unnecessary panic. I'll try to split my answer to your question into 3 different parts, to try to minimize any confusion.

A. Pricing: Unless pricing has been announced some time today, (I haven't check yet), your dealer is being very straightforward with you that no pricing (neither the Base MSRP, or 392-specific option prices) have been "formally" announced. There are of course a few, lets just say "popular" if not strangely controversial threads, like this very thread we're in, about getting info from FCA about 392 pricing that you should definitely check out if you haven't already. But technically speaking, with no formal announcement, the dealers are still in the dark.

B. Deposit: To the best of my knowledge, having a deposit or not will NOT necessarily preclude your order from going to D status, but keep in mind our previous comments about making sure your order is showing in FCA's system as a sold order, in your name. Outside of that, I don't believe that the lack of a deposit would affect your status.

C. Here's the trickier part.... It's the part where I don't want you to panic, but at the same time, I want to be sure you are aware of a potential problem, if you're not already, so that you're not blindsided by it if it happens.

If your dealer is not interested in a deposit, that worries me a little bit, but it's fair to say it may not mean anything if they are an honest establishment. If they are truly just being sincere that they don't accept deposits on vehicles with no pricing yet, then that is understandable, and no cause for alarm.

For example, on my first attempt to order one... Upon hearing that he had received two allocations, my first dealer called me to confirm that I still wanted it, then asked for my option selections, AND a deposit basically immediately, via credit card over the phone. (In fact, the mad rush to get him my selections, my info, and my deposit "ASAP" played a big role in me screwing up my order).

However, with my current dealer, on my second attempt at an order, they did not want a deposit until we were both sure that the attempt to reconfigure his existing order would work, and had been accepted and gone to D status. Which was fine with me. I did still ask him initially, to at least put in an email that if his attempt to alter it was successful, we would not be paying an ADM on it, and he agreed. (Which to be fair, may have proved to be meaningless if things went south in regards to them asking for a markup, as far as being an executable contract goes, but it felt better than nothing at the time.) So again, depending on their intentions, that in and of itself is not a problem. But that brings me to my real concern..

The only thing that could become an issue then in my mind, is that if you haven't given a deposit yet, I'm hoping that this doesn't ALSO mean that you haven't already agreed upon whether or not they are intending to sell you your 392 at MSRP, or with an ADM, (aka, a Markup.)

If you have already had that discussion with them, and have whatever you both agreed to in writing, then no worries.

But if it isn't in writing, I recommend getting it that way. Fast.

(*As a word of caution, a promise and a handshake are utterly meaningless if they change their mind when you go to pick it up. And if watching what's been happening to some other "hard to find" vehicle's forum's members on their respective forums, that ordered 2020 Corvette C8's and Shelby GT500's last year without a signed agreement is any indication, well, let's just say who knows what these 392 Rubi's will be selling for in your area when yours shows up, and not many dealers are going walk away from 10 to 20K in pure profit from a markup unless they have to. Get it in writing.)

But enough scary talk, you probably get my point.

And No, if you don't already have it, you do not have to have an announced price to get that in writing on your POC. I had a signed by-both-parties POC with my first dealer with a clause added that specified the Vehicle was to be sold to me at MSRP with no ADM. Then, with my new dealer, we started with the same signed clause on my new order's POC, once it passed edit, and went to B status. And then once my order finally went to D status, we signed an updated one that had my Vin #, the amount of deposit we gave, and again the same clause about being sold to us for MSRP, and it had all the standard doc fees, etc that they charge listed as well. (Minus taxes of course, since there is no way to calculate those yet.)

And Finally: "Do you (or anyone) know which entity (Dealership or Jeep) is responsible for the BX to D transition?"

My Thoughts: From what I can tell, (And I suppose this pretty much sums up my whole response), the Jeep Gods alone, (as in FCA, or now Stellantis,) are responsible for deciding where and when any order gets moved from B to D, and I suppose every point after that, at least until it ultimately arrives at your dealership. So to answer your question(s), it sounds like to me, that your dealership has done pretty much everything they can do at this point.

Well, sorry for kind of writing a book here about all this! I'm hoping that if anyone notices something I've said that is incorrect, they will point it out. And hopefully some of this helps you out, and at least gives you a little piece of mind.

Regardless, feel free to ask if you have any other questions that I might be able to help with. Either way, good luck with your order, and I hope you get some good news soon!

-Rob

Last edited:

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Still waiting for a vin! The big bummer is ALL the Hemi's are having issues with lifter/cam's wearing out. People familiar with the issue says the oil galleys are not engineered correctly and are starving the lifters and can lobe's for oil. One thought is change that oil at half the recommended scheduling and make sure to use a full synthetic oil. Make sure to check for metal in the oil at every change . First modification I am making is a magnetic drain plug and magnetizing to tip of the dipstick.

Hydro

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 19 ZL1 1LE, 16 cherokee trail hawk.
Just saw this thread. I have VIN#634291 in D status last time I checked last month.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Just saw this thread. I have VIN#634291 in D status last time I checked last month.
You should check it again, I think there are at least a few people within the 634XXX's that have already been issued their build dates, and at least one in the 634xxx's that I have seen that is supposedly already starting to be built! (unconfirmed of course.)

Sponsored

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Supposedly my dealer was allotted 7 392s, I ordered 11/19/20 at 4:30pm (#4 of 7). Gave deposit same day and order was placed as a Sold Order on 11/19/20. Silver Billet, camera, floor mats, tow package. Got VIN 678xxx on 1/21/21. Still in D status.

Anyone know why some people that ordered on the first day got in the second batch of VINs (678xxx) and some people that ordered a month later got in the first batch of VINs (634xxx)? Is it regional? Random? Blackmail?

DD4DB854-36EC-422B-BE0C-1C6E93FDF81C.jpeg

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Metal Mulisha Custom
Supposedly my dealer was allotted 7 392s, I ordered 11/19/20 at 4:30pm (#4 of 7). Gave deposit same day and order was placed as a Sold Order on 11/19/20. Silver Billet, camera, floor mats, tow package. Got VIN 678xxx on 1/21/21. Still in D status.

Anyone know why some people that ordered on the first day got in the second batch of VINs (678xxx) and some people that ordered a month later got in the first batch of VINs (634xxx)? Is it regional? Random? Blackmail?

DD4DB854-36EC-422B-BE0C-1C6E93FDF81C.jpeg
I ordered almost exact time as you and got my VIN on December 10th. There was actually a slight delay with Billet Silver paint and dual doors in billet have been pushed back to “late availability”. By any chance do you know why someone went into the factory ordering system and modified your order on January 18th? Strangely enough, my VIN # starts with 678xxx also. Are you sure they didn’t assign it to you much earlier than you found out?

Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
verified last 6 of vin 634210, anyone have an earlier number?
This is my VIN, unless the preceding numbers are different...1C4JJXSJ8MW634210 I have my build sheet from my dealer with my name on it with this VIN.

Edit: I'm worried there is something bad with my order. 634 is the lowest I have seen here, and those with 634 seem to be in build already, but both Jeep Chat and my dealer as of today both say nothing is moving on mine since a VON/VIN and D status. Maybe mine is behind the other 634's due to my options of half doors or power top.

Last edited:

Wideglide10

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X, 1979 Silver Anniversary CJ5
This is my VIN, unless the preceding numbers are different...1C4JJXSJ8MW634210 I have my build sheet from my dealer with my name on it with this VIN.

Edit: I'm worried there is something bad with my order. 634 is the lowest I have seen here, and those with 634 seem to be in build already, but both Jeep Chat and my dealer as of today both say nothing is moving on mine since a VON/VIN and D status. Maybe mine is behind the other 634's due to my options of half doors or power top.
I have 633745
Sponsored