Sponsored

2021 Jeep Manual Transmission

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Think he means overdrive. They're basically useless unless you live in the flatlands.
They are useless anyway. I can pull 21-23 mpg at 55 mph and 4th gear. The motor isn't making enough power to use 6th untill 75mph or so and by that speed I'm only getting 13-15mpg anyway, and often the mpg is better in 4th than 6th at that speed anyway.
Sponsored

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 WK CRD, 1990 YJ, 1978 911SC, 2002 Land Cruiser, 2016 BMW i3
They are useless anyway. I can pull 21-23 mpg at 55 mph and 4th gear. The motor isn't making enough power to use 6th untill 75mph or so and by that speed I'm only getting 13-15mpg anyway, and often the mpg is better in 4th than 6th at that speed anyway.
Yep, makes sense. Around here (boston) 85 can be the norm during commuting hours so that would be 5th gear for me. As long as that speed maintained I could stay there up and down hills but if it dropped below 75 or so I was back down to 4th to even maintain speed up hills.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
To everyone reading this thread, we love our manuals, we just also love to complain. And we have a legit complaint that drivability was severely sacrificed to meet relatively meaningless government regulations that apply in a lab test but not in the real world

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
To everyone reading this thread, we love our manuals, we just also love to complain. And we have a legit complaint that drivability was severely sacrificed to meet relatively meaningless government regulations that apply in a lab test but not in the real world
Agree. Wouldnt give mine up for an auto any day.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they put the stick on that turbo i4 it would be more enjoyable. The torque curve of the i4 is much closer to that of the old GOAT i6.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I know what you really want in 6th gear....

ConstantElementaryEgg-small.gif

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Also, for the record, I completely understand regearing the axles for Jeeps that now have larger tires, or for someone that could use a better crawl ratio.

moto_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mechatronics Engineer
I guess I'm in the minority on this one, 19k miles on my JLUR and I'm ready for an auto. Its a brutal combination between the tall gearing, rev hang and slow throttle response. 1st gear is really short, which I completely understand is for crawling. 2nd through 4th are too tall. The pentastar is a dog below 2200 rpms, so to accelerate at a decent pace, the shift point is 3500-4000rpm. Then the dreaded rev hang appears and it takes 2-3 seconds to be able to rev match the next gear. I also don't understand the logic behind gearing 5th and 6th so close together? Definitely ruins the manual driving experience (and I've never owned an auto before).

Beachy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Yeah
If they put the stick on that turbo i4 it would be more enjoyable. The torque curve of the i4 is much closer to that of the old GOAT i6.
I would love the turbo to be in manual!! But no luck, so looks like downshifting is my life

Sponsored

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah

I would love the turbo to be in manual!! But no luck, so looks like downshifting is my life
Yeah it's a bummer. I kind of decided I'm done with stick in new jeeps as I just don't enjoy it coupled to a modern econobox of an engine the way I used to. I love my 4 banger YJ in stick, and my MGB, but if I am going to spend 50k on a jeep it's going to be enjoyable all the time, not just for the occasional pop down to the shop. Maybe (probably) I'm just getting old.

Beachy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Yeah it's a bummer. I kind of decided I'm done with stick in new jeeps as I just don't enjoy it coupled to a modern econobox of an engine the way I used to. I love my 4 banger YJ in stick, and my MGB, but if I am going to spend 50k on a jeep it's going to be enjoyable all the time, not just for the occasional pop down to the shop. Maybe (probably) I'm just getting old.
I had a YJ! She couldn't get up a hill AT ALL without getting down to about 30mph... Was OK though because didn't have to go over that bridge much out west. She mainly stayed on the beach & trails. This engine will at least keep speed... I'm also keeping my GTI for my spunky turbo.🙌

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon V6 6spd Manual || 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd Manual
I guess I'm in the minority on this one, 19k miles on my JLUR and I'm ready for an auto. Its a brutal combination between the tall gearing, rev hang and slow throttle response. 1st gear is really short, which I completely understand is for crawling. 2nd through 4th are too tall. The pentastar is a dog below 2200 rpms, so to accelerate at a decent pace, the shift point is 3500-4000rpm. Then the dreaded rev hang appears and it takes 2-3 seconds to be able to rev match the next gear. I also don't understand the logic behind gearing 5th and 6th so close together? Definitely ruins the manual driving experience (and I've never owned an auto before).
I have learned to embrace the "rolling stop" (AKA California Stop) and skip 1st gear when I can.
There isn't quite enough torque for a 2nd gear start. I tend to shift from 1st to 2nd around 18mph. That's a little low but it doesn't bother me too much.

In town, 2nd gear pulls pretty well for me, 3rd too as long as you don't mind shifting late.
On the high way I'm often in 3rd or 4th gear for accelerating and 6th gear for cruise control.

These wranglers are not fast, but I wasn't looking for that.

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon V6 6spd Manual || 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd Manual
PS - what is this rev hang everyone is talking about? Shifts feel pretty smooth to me, no real jerky feeling. Is the 2021 JL different?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
PS - what is this rev hang everyone is talking about? Shifts feel pretty smooth to me, no real jerky feeling. Is the 2021 JL different?
Try to smoothly pull a 2-3 shift from redline, time how long it takes for revs to drop from 6000 to about 4250 where you can let the clutch out, it will probably take about 2 seconds
Sponsored