2021 Jeep Manual Transmission

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Just for fun, playing around with the gearing calculator. A Manual JL with a 3.45 gear ratio and 32" tires would be running the same engine rpms as the equivalent with a 4.1 gear ratio and 38" tires (Obviously there is a weight difference with the tires that is not part of this equation). That may help those with the Rubicon understand what the ratio is like in the other trims.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If the speed limit is 55 or 60mph I'm in 4th gear otherwise it is gutless.
Yes 4th gear is a drive gear, 5th and 6th are overdrive, meant for maintaining speed and not for rocket acceleration.

But honestly at 55-60 I'm usually going to be in an overdrive gear if I'm cruising, but if I'm still accelerating I'll be in a drive gear.

and the terrain is not too hilly.
You live in Nebraska... do you even have hills? :giggle:

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Manual is short guys only or driving with no no doors. The base model is even worse, the window crank will catch your knee before it hits the door.

edited for shorties with grammar concerns

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My wife wouldn't have a Jeep without a manual in it. Her last was a '13 with manual and 3.73 gears. The new one is a Willys with (ugh) 3.23 gears. Bought it off the lot so that's how it is. She's ok with it so I'm leaving it alone. I can say the new trans shifts much nicer and more positive than the older model and with 4.10 gears in a Rubi, it should be a winner. I do really love the auto in mine tho.... :angel:
They don't offer 3.21 gears you have 3.45's.

Sponsored

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon V6 6spd Manual || 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd Manual
I've driven manual transmissions all my life. The MT in the Wrangler JL is actually a nice smooth shift and very predictable clutch engagement...

however... gearing sux..
1->2 is very short on the street, great for off road
2nd & 3rd gear is good on the street.
3->4 is way to long. There is a 1500 rpm gap between 3rd and 4th. On the freeway it feels like I'm needing to rev high in 3rd or bog in 4th when driving the speed limit (solution, don't drive the speed limit).
5th & 6th are overdrive gears and don't do much. I tend to shift straight from 4th to 6th and 6th to 4th. Synchros don't seem to mind and the power band feels better.

Having said all that, I love driving it. I've learned the gearing quirks and after a few days of driving your brain makes the necessary adjustments and it's just normal.

Last edited:

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
The transmission itself shifts great, smooth as butter. Almost TOO easy...Sometimes I feel like I might break off some fragile linkage somewhere. No low end torque, sensitive throttle and massive rev hang on the 3.6 make it a bit touchy to engage 1st like you've been doing it all your life, which I have. Reverse is too tall, so you often have to feather the clutch in and out more than you should, to say, back into a parking space or garage. Huge gap between 3rd and 4th, so you are always either lugging or seemingly over-revving in the 40 mph range, which I happen to have to drive in, a lot. 6th is useless until you're going 70 or better. I never owned a JK; but I much preferred the manual in my TJ. I don't know how you off-road guys do it with a JL, unless you're in low range a lot....

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The transmission itself shifts great, smooth as butter. Almost TOO easy...Sometimes I feel like I might break off some fragile linkage somewhere. No low end torque, sensitive throttle and massive rev hang on the 3.6 make it a bit touchy to engage 1st like you've been doing it all your life, which I have. Reverse is too tall, so you often have to feather the clutch in and out more than you should, to say, back into a parking space or garage. Huge gap between 3rd and 4th, so you are always either lugging or seemingly over-revving in the 40 mph range, which I happen to have to drive in, a lot. 6th is useless until you're going 70 or better. I never owned a JK; but I much preferred the manual in my TJ. I don't know how you off-road guys do it with a JL, unless you're in low range a lot....
A centerforce clutch will make your JL feel very TJ-ish. You can get to 30 mph without ever touching the gas pedal, even for initial take-off. You can reverse up an incline without touching the gas pedal either. Single stage clutch also makes 1st gear quick starts much easier and smoother without the clutch burning smell of the stock unit.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Sponsored

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Hello

I currently have a 2015 Hydro Blue Jeep Wrangler Sahara JK. I ordered in back in August of 2014 and the order came in October 2014. I love it except I didn't get a manual transmission. I grew up learning to drive manuals and I really miss not being able to row gears. The only reason I didn't get the manual is because of my wife. She occasionally drives my Jeep (she has a 2020 Sahara JKU) but not very often. I am at the point now that I am getting the itch to get another Jeep and this time I want a manual. She has never driven a manual and I told her that I would teach her but she has no desire to learn. For the little times that she drives my current Jeep, I think I'm leaning towards the manual if I decide to get another Jeep.

For those of you that have a JL manual, do you like it? When I was researching my JK back in 2014, there were many complaints about the manual. The few reviews I have read about the JL manuals, have been positive.

The other issue I have is I like the Saharas but they don't make them in 2 doors anymore. I really don't like the black fenders on many of the Wrangler models. Here in Florida, the sun kills the black plastic on my Jeep bumpers so I'd like to have the colored fenders. It looks like that is an option on the Rubicon but my off roading consists of a few dirt roads so I think the Rubicon is overkill (but who cares?!)

I know this is too early to discuss 2022 models but I am hoping that Jeep keeps the manual as an option on the 2022s as I won't be ready to purchase for another 6-8 months or longer.

Someone please talk me out of getting another Jeep! :)
6-spd manual is a big improvement (had a 2015 JKU with that generationj 6-spd and now have a 2019 JLUR with the new generation 6-spd.). Lever and gear change throws are much shorter and the box feels quite a bit more refined. It is not a buttery smooth snick-snick little box like you might find in a Honda, but it has a solid, notchy, postive engagement befitting a robust box in a relatively heavy truck. I will say that the 3.6L struggles a bit to pull 6th gear if you add 35s with standard gearing - it will do it on flat ground in the sweet spot where you have enough revs (2,000+) but not so much wind resistance from really high speed - around 65-70. But not up hill, especially with a load, and definitely if you are not running 91 or 93 octane. On highways over rolling terrain, I don't mind shifting between 5th and 6th as I go up and down hills - gives me something to do. But many will find that it tops out in 5th for all practical purposes with bigger tires and no regear. Also, keep in mind that there was some kind of a clutch recall. I got a notice but have not done the work (in part because I have full belly pans on the jeep and know it is going to be a pain), but if you buy one, make sure it is a post fix model, or if it is inventory, make sure the clutch recall has been done. Best of luck - #SAVETHEMANUALTRANSMISSION

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 WK CRD, 1990 YJ, 1978 911SC, 2002 Land Cruiser, 2016 BMW i3
I had a manual JT and have always had manual jeeps; I traded it in for an auto. That trans mated to the gutless 3.6 just means constant clutch slipping and no ability to pass, or frankly accelerate at all, without constant shifts. It got old for me. Stick shifts belong on MGB's and M3's, not on jeeps.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
5th & 6th are granny gears and don't do much.
Just curious folks. Did the meaning of granny gear change and I missed it?

Later,
Johnny

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 WK CRD, 1990 YJ, 1978 911SC, 2002 Land Cruiser, 2016 BMW i3
Just curious folks. Did the meaning of granny gear change and I missed it?

Later,
Johnny
Think he means overdrive. They're basically useless unless you live in the flatlands.
Sponsored