2021 Jeep Manual Transmission

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
there is a lot of rev hang but as long as you make sure your foot is off the throttle for about half a second
Ah ha. I’ve been reading complaints about rev hang for 2.5 years, and could never understand what people were experiencing. I always let go of the throttle before shifting - it’s how I was taught 30 years ago. No wonder I have never been annoyed by this. Thank you for explaining how it happens!
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ah ha. I’ve been reading complaints about rev hang for 2.5 years, and could never understand what people were experiencing. I always let go of the throttle before shifting - it’s how I was taught 30 years ago. No wonder I have never been annoyed by this. Thank you for explaining how it happens!
For me it's the 2-3 shift at around 50 mph and 5500 rpm when trying to pass on a 2 lane highway that I get the irritating rev hang. 1-2 I shift early and 3-4 doesn't happen till like 90 mph so it's not an issue either

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
You have to lift off throttle for every upshift... how else would you do it? This isn't a case of operator error. This is poor powertrain tuning. If you ever rev past 3k, you will experience rev hang. Above 4k it's seriously a second of rev hang before they drop for your next gear. It's terrible. My Mazda3 has never made me wait for a shift.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
You have to lift off throttle for every upshift... how else would you do it? This isn't a case of operator error. This is poor powertrain tuning. If you ever rev past 3k, you will experience rev hang. Above 4k it's seriously a second of rev hang before they drop for your next gear. It's terrible. My Mazda3 has never made me wait for a shift.
They put rev hang into the tuning of the vehicle for emissions, it is there to prevent sudden Rich air/fuel mixture caused by the sudden release of the throttle. I don’t like it but I have learn to not mind it.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me it's the 2-3 shift at around 50 mph and 5500 rpm when trying to pass on a 2 lane highway that I get the irritating rev hang. 1-2 I shift early and 3-4 doesn't happen till like 90 mph so it's not an issue either
Eh, I guess our driving styles are vastly different. Sounds like you drive your Jeep the way I might drive a Challenger. ;)

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dunno. I just don’t notice any issue. It drives much better than the manual JKs did. I understand what rev hang is, and also why it is... I just don’t notice it when I’m driving. My guess is I drive/accelerate much more slowly than some of you guys. That’s not a criticism, by the way.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I just think we’re darn lucky to have manual transmissions. They are a dying breed.
I enjoy driving mine 😀
I've managed to have a continuous ownership of at least one manual vehicle since high school. Right now its just a motorcycle, but maybe one day I'll have a manual Jeep.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I dunno. I just don’t notice any issue. It drives much better than the manual JKs did. I understand what rev hang is, and also why it is... I just don’t notice it when I’m driving. My guess is I drive/accelerate much more slowly than some of you guys. That’s not a criticism, by the way.
I don't notice it most days, but when I really need to scoot or just want to rev up for the helluvit, it bothers me. I don't have it on my Mazda and it's frustrating that Jeep couldn't figure out how to equip/tune the Pentastar to avoid rev hang.

They put rev hang into the tuning of the vehicle for emissions, it is there to prevent sudden Rich air/fuel mixture caused by the sudden release of the throttle. I don’t like it but I have learn to not mind it.
Well, somehow my 2.5L I4 Mazda3 (also a 2018MY vehicle) managed to avoid rev hang in its tune. I still stand by it being poor tuning or design - inadequate emissions control features/efficiency to allow for better driveability. But then again, Mazda is a driver's brand and they invest a lot of time, attention, and money into ensuring their cars are the best driving cars in their class. Obviously Jeep doesn't have the same goal.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
I don't notice it most days, but when I really need to scoot or just want to rev up for the helluvit, it bothers me. I don't have it on my Mazda and it's frustrating that Jeep couldn't figure out how to equip/tune the Pentastar to avoid rev hang.

Well, somehow my 2.5L I4 Mazda3 (also a 2018MY vehicle) managed to avoid rev hang in its tune. I still stand by it being poor tuning or design - inadequate emissions control features/efficiency to allow for better driveability. But then again, Mazda is a driver's brand and they invest a lot of time, attention, and money into ensuring their cars are the best driving cars in their class. Obviously Jeep doesn't have the same goal.
Yeah Mazdas are a thing of beauty, I give a lot of the credit to Ford for owning the majority of Mazda.

Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah Mazdas are a thing of beauty, I give a lot of the credit to Ford for owning the majority of Mazda.
Ford's ownership was only a minor share (max'd at 33.4% in 1998) and they sold their controlling interest in 2008 due to the financial crisis. Ford did help Mazda weather the crazy exchange rates in the late 90s/early 00s and helped them expand their offerings throughout. But Mazda's newest platforms from circa MY2014 and newer are basically 100% Mazda and they are absolutely things of beauty. IMHO Ford helped the weather some storms but Ford has essentially nothing to do with Mazda anymore and hasn't for some time now. Mazda developed their own series of engines, transmissions, and chassis in the time since Ford's ownership waned.

But, Ford can thank Mazda for the 2.0L and 2.3L Ecoboosts which are evolutions of Mazda's 2.3L platform from the mid/late 00's.

tcass

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
i've had a manual TJ, manual JK Sahara and a manual JK Rubicon and now a 2019 JL Sport with 35000 miles and an 8 speed auto transmission. of the 4, i like the JL 8 speed auto. i can still shift manually if i care to do so. but it has a lot of pep and get up and go. as long as you don't put monster tires on it you'll be ok. i put KO2 33s on mine with no lift. mileage droped from stock but that was expected

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hmm. I shift over 3k most of the time and sometimes over 4k and I rarely have rev hang. If I do I feel like I didn't execute the shift well.

I can definitely understand how it may not respond the way you want to your shifts but I don't think it is true you can't shift at higher revs without rev hang.

JLA_Mo

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Granite)
Rubicon has great resale value, so there's that. Get what you want. You don't think you need a locker, but it could come in handy someday. The manual is great, the gearing is a little odd in my experience but you get used to it. Truthfully, I only use 1-4 unless I'm on the interstate. Then 5th. 6th is basically unusable.
Agree completely. You basically have to be going 75MPH to use 6th and that point your Rubicon is getting about 16MPG.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Hello

I currently have a 2015 Hydro Blue Jeep Wrangler Sahara JK. I ordered in back in August of 2014 and the order came in October 2014. I love it except I didn't get a manual transmission. I grew up learning to drive manuals and I really miss not being able to row gears. The only reason I didn't get the manual is because of my wife. She occasionally drives my Jeep (she has a 2020 Sahara JKU) but not very often. I am at the point now that I am getting the itch to get another Jeep and this time I want a manual. She has never driven a manual and I told her that I would teach her but she has no desire to learn. For the little times that she drives my current Jeep, I think I'm leaning towards the manual if I decide to get another Jeep.

For those of you that have a JL manual, do you like it? When I was researching my JK back in 2014, there were many complaints about the manual. The few reviews I have read about the JL manuals, have been positive.

The other issue I have is I like the Saharas but they don't make them in 2 doors anymore. I really don't like the black fenders on many of the Wrangler models. Here in Florida, the sun kills the black plastic on my Jeep bumpers so I'd like to have the colored fenders. It looks like that is an option on the Rubicon but my off roading consists of a few dirt roads so I think the Rubicon is overkill (but who cares?!)

I know this is too early to discuss 2022 models but I am hoping that Jeep keeps the manual as an option on the 2022s as I won't be ready to purchase for another 6-8 months or longer.

Someone please talk me out of getting another Jeep! :)
I have been shifting all my life. I considered getting one on a 2016 JK but it was rediculously awful—felt like a 1938 truck. It was much improved on my 2018 Sport JLU but I came to realize not great. We drive into the mountains on twisty roads a lot and the more times we went up recently, and with a full load, it couldn’t cut it. You would downshift once which was never enough power but twice was too much—it would jerk my wife awake and scare the dog. Going up hills was worse. I would downshift twice and floor it, and frequently I would barely move, and downshifting three times for such a simple thing seemed sacreligous, and would scare the dog more. Not many people get sticks so FCA doesn’t bother making it a good system. A 7 or 8 speed with better shift points alone would help a lot.

This summer I wanted a Rubicon. Given the extra weight and previous issues, I didn’t consider a manual for a second. The eight speed auto is tremendous—plenty of power when needed and shifts incredibly smoothly. It also works well in manual mode which I do on some hills where you need torque and downhill stops.

So I don’t miss the manual for a second. If I was getting a BMW, I would get it without thinking. But the Rubicon is a beast and I haven’t even added a steel bumper or the rock rails, which will add 200 more pounds.
Sponsored