Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t understand all the “6th gear never gets used” stuff. When I go upstate, as long as the limit is 65 I cruise at 74-75 in 6th most of the trip. I only override cruise and downshift when I come up a mountain. My rpm’s are at a perfect 2k and I get decent mileage on a tank.
Now with that being said, my Jeep’s stock with factory wheels. Maybe that’s some of the problem.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah... it's been a very busy couple months in the 'ole garage. I just finished 4.56's in a JK about an hour ago. Got an ST3 kit coming for tomorrow. Then 3 sets of gears over Christmas break. I think a bunch of Jeepers are getting what they wanted from Santa.
well we've gotta keep you busy...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So the gist I'm getting is Jeep didn't gear the manual for 37s. @chevymitchell had a manual JLUR on 37s and he regeared to 4.88. I've seen that Jeep go flying up a few hills after he did the regear and he seemed pretty happy about it. Now he has a 2 door Recon (auto only) and has no intention of regearing even on 37s.
Seems like Jeep should consider optional lower gearing for the manual in the coming MYs.
Disclaimer for the above....

Any and all mentions of @chevymitchell's intentions are based on last known information and are subject to change on short notice... :giggle:

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I don’t understand all the “6th gear never gets used” stuff. When I go upstate, as long as the limit is 65 I cruise at 74-75 in 6th most of the trip. I only override cruise and downshift when I come up a mountain. My rpm’s are at a perfect 2k and I get decent mileage on a tank.
Now with that being said, my Jeep’s stock with factory wheels. Maybe that’s some of the problem.
I'm with you. I don't have any issues with the gearing - you just have to adjust for it. I use 6th gear every time I'm on the highway and I cruise at 68 mph on my 60 mph highways. And I love the gearing and engine tuning (aside from rev hang) because I'm getting 22.5 mpg actual over the 6500 miles I've put on the Jeep.

I'm on the stock Sport S wheels and tires, though. If people are adding oversized tires then yeah, of course the gearing sucks. But that's their fault, not Jeep's.

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
Ordered my 21 Rubi with the Penstar and manual trans. Saved 3k in the process which I applied to other options.
Absolutely love the manual and 2 door.
IMHO it’s what a jeep should be

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I've a sport s 2 door with 33's and 6MT/3.45 gears. 5th is only sane at freeway speeds and 6th is a bit of a unicorn, mostly because the wrangler needs much more power to keep moving at freeway speeds than nearly any other vehicle (drag).

That said, the 3.45's work just fine. 1st is plenty low enough and there's enough other gears to get whatever torque I need at any speed. Most vehicles need to downshift out of overdrive gears when going uphill or needing to accelerate. Not sure why having to downshift to 5th or 4th on occasion is considered "painful". The gears are there for a reason. If you want higher revs on the freeway so you don't have to downshift, just leave it in a lower gear. It's cheaper and less permanent than a regear ;)

I think 4.10's on 33's would be perfect for on-road use, but 3.45 is totally liveable and unpainful for me. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
Just hit 1000 miles on my 21 Willys 2 door, 3.6 with a 6 speed. Absolutely love driving this thing!! I've missed driving a manual since I sold my 97 TJ back in 2004.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I love my manual JLUR. Very easy clutch to drive, almost too light as in not enough pedal feel, have to use your ear. I have zero issues with the gearing around town or on the highway. I can hold 6th gear just fine over 70mph running 35’s, below 70 and I’m downshifting to have any acceleration at all. I am biased towards manuals in anything I drive though. Save the manuals!

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
My 2 door is stock except that I switched over to Rubicon wheels and tires. When merging onto to the interstate, I often go from 3rd to 6th with no issues. I use 6th gear all the time. I do live near Houston and the roads are mostly flat.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
2021 stock JLR 3.6 Mt
The more I drive it the better it gets, I find it to be a wonderful transmission. Big spread of ratios. No complaints.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hello

I currently have a 2015 Hydro Blue Jeep Wrangler Sahara JK. I ordered in back in August of 2014 and the order came in October 2014. I love it except I didn't get a manual transmission. I grew up learning to drive manuals and I really miss not being able to row gears. The only reason I didn't get the manual is because of my wife. She occasionally drives my Jeep (she has a 2020 Sahara JKU) but not very often. I am at the point now that I am getting the itch to get another Jeep and this time I want a manual. She has never driven a manual and I told her that I would teach her but she has no desire to learn. For the little times that she drives my current Jeep, I think I'm leaning towards the manual if I decide to get another Jeep.

For those of you that have a JL manual, do you like it? When I was researching my JK back in 2014, there were many complaints about the manual. The few reviews I have read about the JL manuals, have been positive.

The other issue I have is I like the Saharas but they don't make them in 2 doors anymore. I really don't like the black fenders on many of the Wrangler models. Here in Florida, the sun kills the black plastic on my Jeep bumpers so I'd like to have the colored fenders. It looks like that is an option on the Rubicon but my off roading consists of a few dirt roads so I think the Rubicon is overkill (but who cares?!)

I know this is too early to discuss 2022 models but I am hoping that Jeep keeps the manual as an option on the 2022s as I won't be ready to purchase for another 6-8 months or longer.

Someone please talk me out of getting another Jeep! :)
Nearly 3 years and 40k miles and I could not be happier with the manual transmission on my JLUR. No issues at all and I tow a boat and do lots of off-roading. I've also got 35's with the stock Rubi 4.10 gearing and it feels great and pulls 6th gear just fine, especially after the engine really starts freeing up around 20k.

One thing I'd highly recommend is an axle-back exhaust. I have a Magnaflow and the sound is just music. I'm sure others sound great, too, like Flowmaster and such. The Magnaflow's tips have withstood a hellish beating off-road and have held up remarkably well. If you get close to them you can see the dents, but the inside of the tips is perfeclty round with no issue. They are strong and thick stainless steel.

Deleted member 59098

I bought a manual because I’ve pretty much always had manuals and enjoyed driving them. I was a little worried using manual off-road, thinking I would stall all the time and wear the clutch. I was totally wrong with this assumption, the manual is so good off-road in 4lo. You can literally go 1/2 mph and not worry about stalling.

On road the manual is fine. I’m probably fine nowadays with the newer automatics around town. It’s nice to be able to open a drink or fiddle with something at your leisure.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
my 18 JLUR 6 speed is great in DFW where I live because we drive so fast the 4:10’s with 35’s are perfect, there is a lot of rev hang but as long as you make sure your foot is off the throttle for about half a second before you press in the clutch your golden. Happy Jeeping:)

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Another reason too which I haven’t seen mentioned....I’m one of those guys (and I’m sure I’m not alone) who can get drowsy on a long trip. Before going upstate I stop at a Dunkin Donuts and get a large coffee with double shot espresso . This and having to pay attention to my gears keeps me fine.
With an automatic transmission you put that sucker in drive and you barely have to move. I don’t wanna be that relaxed.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My wife wouldn't have a Jeep without a manual in it. Her last was a '13 with manual and 3.73 gears. The new one is a Willys with (ugh) 3.23 gears. Bought it off the lot so that's how it is. She's ok with it so I'm leaving it alone. I can say the new trans shifts much nicer and more positive than the older model and with 4.10 gears in a Rubi, it should be a winner. I do really love the auto in mine tho.... :angel:
That is one awesome wife!
Sponsored