2021 Jeep Manual Transmission

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
but this is why I love it so much! lol
I've sworn myself to always get my wranglers with MT as long as they're offered
I have been driving manual trans vehicles since the 90s when I got a 94 ZJ(grand cherokee) with a manual(yes they made them, just really rare). I have had a bunch of Jeeps since then.
I love the manual in My JLUR, by far the smoothest shifting manual of the Jeeps I have had.

Regarding gearing, I think the gearing is ok with the stock 33s with 4.10s. The 3.45 gears IMO are under-geared . My wife has a JLUS and with stock 32s, she rarely ever used 6th. For 70 mph+ freeway driving, 5th gear actually was more efficient based on mpg too. Now she has 33s and with the 3.45s it is basically a 4 speed with occasional 5th gear use.

To put it in perspective, I ran calculations with the top gear on the JL manual trans and compared it to a JK:
For the stock JL rubicon, it is similar to a JK with 3.41 gears and 32” tires.
The JL Sahara with stock 32” tires and 3.45s is equivalent to a JK with 2.96 gears and 32” tires

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
To put it in perspective, I ran calculations with the top gear on the JL manual trans and compared it to a JK:
For the stock JL rubicon, it is similar to a JK with 3.41 gears and 32” tires.
The JL Sahara with stock 32” tires and 3.45s is equivalent to a JK with 2.96 gears and 32” tires
Yep, having two overdrive gears vs one does that.

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I'm with the stock gears suck bunch. I'm looking into regearing mine it bothers me so much.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm with the stock gears suck bunch. I'm looking into regearing mine it bothers me so much.
Step 1 - remind yourself that you didn't buy a Jeep for good fuel economy
Step 2 - remind yourself that you didn't buy a Jeep for good fuel economy
Step 3 - remind yourself it's smiles per mile your really interested in
Step 4 - Smash the piggy bank
Step 5 - Regear as low as possible (5.13 or 5.33)
Step 6 - Enjoy ALL six gears :like:

Yeah, I'm personally stuck at step 4, smashed the piggy and nothing inside...

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Step 1 - remind yourself that you didn't buy a Jeep for good fuel economy
Step 2 - remind yourself that you didn't buy a Jeep for good fuel economy
Step 3 - remind yourself it's smiles per mile your really interested in
MPG is what the Honda is for, but the Jeep is certainly better than my old Ram 1500 as far as fuel economy goes.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I’m very happy with Rubicon stock gearing (with stock wheels/tires). I use 6th every time I hit 65 MPH - that 200RPM drop might save me a whole gallon of fuel by the time my Jeep is paid off, after all. :)

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Hmm. I shift over 3k most of the time and sometimes over 4k and I rarely have rev hang. If I do I feel like I didn't execute the shift well.

I can definitely understand how it may not respond the way you want to your shifts but I don't think it is true you can't shift at higher revs without rev hang.
The Rev hang isn't there by accident. It's not poor tuning, just most of us prefer it not be there.
Then maybe it's different from Jeep to Jeep. I can only weigh in on my personal experiences with my Jeep. It doesn't matter if my JL is warmed up or not, what gear I'm doing the shifting to/from, etc. - I get horrendous rev hang when I shift above 3k. It's always there to some degree. And no, I'm not leaving my foot on the gas pedal. I have plenty of experience driving manuals to not do that.

It may be intentional, but Jeep should have done a better job with the overall powertrain emissions tuning to eliminate it like other carmakers have been able to. If Mazda with its paltry budget and sales can make it work, why can't FCA? This engine is in a million vehicles - why can't they equip and tune this engine to preclude rev hang? Just strikes me as lazy or poor engineering. Or, poor funding/attention to detail by management for not giving the powertrain/emissions team the budget they need to eliminate it.

All that being said - I love the manual in my JLU and the rev hang on high-rpm shifts is simply an annoyance. I would absolutely get a 6MT again and I don't feel the need to re-gear. It's expensive and unnecessary for where I live. Maybe if there were more hills around I'd feel differently but for my usage, the stock Sport S gearing is fine.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
I’m very happy with Rubicon stock gearing (with stock wheels/tires). I use 6th every time I hit 65 MPH - that 200RPM drop might save me a whole gallon of fuel by the time my Jeep is paid off, after all. :)
It’s great for DFW (where I live) because everybody does 75-90MPH, and with 35’s at 81MPH I’m turning exactly 2500RPM.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Once upon a time I had a 1998 Ford Mustang V6. Not a bad commuter car, but it had a 5 speed manual and the axle ratio would make most of y'all throw a conniption. 2.73... and thats not a typo. My wife could drive my Dakota with 3.92 easily but it took her months to not stall the Mustang every single time.

Sponsored

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I didn't buy mine for fuel mileage so I think were good on that part!

I don't like having 6 gears available but only being able to use 4 of them for 97% of my driving. With it geared so high it gives me fewer options to keep the engine in its powerband also.

I have funds allocated to do the re-gear but mine is in the shop currently due to some vibration in the clutch pedal and a 2nd gear syncro that doesn't want to cooperate when cold. Hopefully we can get that sorted out or at least on record and then ill re-gear.

I don't seem to be having the rev-hang as some are describing also for what its worth. Mine is a 2021.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't buy mine for fuel mileage so I think were good on that part!

I don't like having 6 gears available but only being able to use 4 of them for 97% of my driving. With it geared so high it gives me fewer options to keep the engine in its powerband also.

I have funds allocated to do the re-gear but mine is in the shop currently due to some vibration in the clutch pedal and a 2nd gear syncro that doesn't want to cooperate when cold. Hopefully we can get that sorted out or at least on record and then ill re-gear.

I don't seem to be having the rev-hang as some are describing also for what its worth. Mine is a 2021.
Are you still on the factory tires?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I have a Willys so it came with the 32" MT tires.
You'll have to forgive me but I find it hard to believe that 5th and 6th wouldn't be at least some use to you on the highway.

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
You'll have to forgive me but I find it hard to believe that 5th and 6th wouldn't be at least some use to you on the highway.
with a 3.45 axel ratio and 32" tires:

If the speed limit is 55 or 60mph I'm in 4th gear otherwise it is gutless.

4th gear
2000rpm = 55mph
2100rpm = 58mph
2200rpm = 61mph

Can consider using 5th gear starting at 65 or 70mph depending on the terrain

5th gear
1600rpm = 55mph
1700rpm = 58mph
1800rpm = 61mph
1900rpm = 65mph
2000rpm = 68mph
2100rpm = 72mph

Only used for if the speed limit is 75mph and the terrain is not too hilly.

6th gear
2000rpm = 77mph
2100rpm = 80mph
Sponsored