Sponsored

2021 Jeep Manual Transmission

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I absolutely love my 6 speed. I can't imagine how poorly geared the non-rubicon manuals are though. 6th gear is almost useless with the 4.10 gears. I'm getting ready to swap in 5.13s to better match my 37s, though I've been able to deal with the gearing for 2 years now.
Sponsored

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
So I don't have my JLU yet, but ordering my Sport Altitude 6speed this week. However, I test drove a 2door Rubicon 6MT tonight to get a feel for the clutch. It was great! The clutch was SUPER light and shifts weren't bad. There was a definite rev hang but I didn't find it unbearable.

It was shocking how heavy my clutch in my WRX is compared to the Jeep. It was a dramatic change getting back in the Subaru after the test drive.

Even with the Rubicon it still felt peppy, I figure a 2 Door Rubicon and a 4 Door Sport probably feel the same.

My ONLY complaint was there really is no space in the foot well. I usually put my foot to the left of the clutch but can't do that in the Jeep. It will probably take a few long drives to find a comfortable spot.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So I don't have my JLU yet, but ordering my Sport Altitude 6speed this week. However, I test drove a 2door Rubicon 6MT tonight to get a feel for the clutch. It was great! The clutch was SUPER light and shifts weren't bad. There was a definite rev hang but I didn't find it unbearable.

It was shocking how heavy my clutch in my WRX is compared to the Jeep. It was a dramatic change getting back in the Subaru after the test drive.

Even with the Rubicon it still felt peppy, I figure a 2 Door Rubicon and a 4 Door Sport probably feel the same.

My ONLY complaint was there really is no space in the foot well. I usually put my foot to the left of the clutch but can't do that in the Jeep. It will probably take a few long drives to find a comfortable spot.
They won't feel the same at all. Your sport is going to come with painfully high gears in the diffs. I couldn't imagine living with it.

H to O

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys 2021, GMC Canyon 2015
I’m loving my 2021 2dr Willys MT! It’s still really new, but so far so good. Coming from a 2001 Sport with MT, it’s been an adjustment not to mistake 6th gear for reverse and stall out when wanting to back up..., but after doing that a couple times in the first week I’ve gotten used to the gear positions. I’m also thrilled with having cruise control on it!!!

Sponsored

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2021 JLUR with manual transmission. I like the transmission better than my old '08 JK manual transmission. Shifts smooth, but I don't often use 6th gear, only on the Interstate going 80 or more.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
My wife wouldn't have a Jeep without a manual in it. Her last was a '13 with manual and 3.73 gears. The new one is a Willys with (ugh) 3.23 gears. Bought it off the lot so that's how it is. She's ok with it so I'm leaving it alone. I can say the new trans shifts much nicer and more positive than the older model and with 4.10 gears in a Rubi, it should be a winner. I do really love the auto in mine tho.... :angel:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
They won't feel the same at all. Your sport is going to come with painfully high gears in the diffs. I couldn't imagine living with it.
Are you constantly driving uphill? The Manual Gladiator with 3.73s I drove felt perfect, and 3.45 gearing won't be that much different. I can see the only real issue with it would be upsizing tires and I'm not sure OP would do that if he just wants a tow behind for his RV.

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
It's far from perfect, gearing all wrong, clutch is wonky, rev hang will make you cringe each time you try to speed shift, and it takes extra skill to eat take-out on the go...

But it's a direct mechanical, special, connection to your beast. It's something that's going extinct. I would not give mine up, not even for the 392!
your spot on!

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
love the manual except for the rev hang
This.

I have a Sport S so I have the 3.45 rear end but honestly, you just get used to what speed you need which gear. 30 mph = 3rd, 40 mph = 4th, 60 mph = 5th, 68-70 mph+ = 6th

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The return of the Willys and having the opportunity to drive a manual again were two big reasons I am a jeep owner again - 50 years after my first Willys (1953 CJ3B) and probably 25 years after my last manual - 1995 GMC 1/2 ton pickup'. It is fun to drive. My only complaint is I need the seat so close up to reach the clutch.
I have a write-up somewhere on a near $0 clutch pedal extender