2021 Jeep Manual Transmission

jl18pumpkin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-door 2018 JL Rubicon
Just finished my re-gear this week. 5.13s with 37s. Loving it so far.
Just curious, what are you using to hold up the 37 spare on? I have the heavy duty Mopar support bracket for my 35 but it fits super snug. I thought I heard that the Mopar bracket can hold up to a 37. Just not seeing how it does it.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
When looking for a Jeep I wanted two things, heated seats, and a 6-speed manual. I'm glad I found it and after getting used to it (or it braking in) it is one of the smoothest manual transmissions I've driven. My only complaints are some strange lumpiness when driving through town in 3rd gear and the two overdrive gears are kind of overkill. I've talked to a few others on here that said the 3rd gear thing smooths out over time and at 20k mine seems to be getting better. The two overdrive gears aren't necessarily a bad thing and you can always just stay in 5th. The 3.6 seems kind of gutless under 2k so as long as you watch that and keep your rpms up the gearing is no issue. I can set CC at around 75 mph and it will hold on all but the steepest WV highways. If I set the CC at 74 or below then I'm downshifting quite a bit

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just curious, what are you using to hold up the 37 spare on? I have the heavy duty Mopar support bracket for my 35 but it fits super snug. I thought I heard that the Mopar bracket can hold up to a 37. Just not seeing how it does it.
Honestly I wouldn’t even trust a 35 on there long term. I have the LOD bumper and tire carrier which moves all the weight off the spare to a giant bearing on the bumper.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
When looking for a Jeep I wanted two things, heated seats, and a 6-speed manual. I'm glad I found it and after getting used to it (or it braking in) it is one of the smoothest manual transmissions I've driven. My only complaints are some strange lumpiness when driving through town in 3rd gear and the two overdrive gears are kind of overkill. I've talked to a few others on here that said the 3rd gear thing smooths out over time and at 20k mine seems to be getting better. The two overdrive gears aren't necessarily a bad thing and you can always just stay in 5th. The 3.6 seems kind of gutless under 2k so as long as you watch that and keep your rpms up the gearing is no issue. I can set CC at around 75 mph and it will hold on all but the steepest WV highways. If I set the CC at 74 or below then I'm downshifting quite a bit
'The two overdrive gears' you nailed it. 1-4 is great though.

Sponsored

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
I test drove both when I ordered my 2020 JLUR in Summer of 2019. The Manual is much better versus the JK and you will love it! The 8 speed Automatic on the other side is very smooth and is currently considered one of the best Automatic Transmissions in the market.

In my case I went with the 8 speed because of my wife. However if she was not a factor, I would have ordered the 6 speed manual. If your wife is ok with it, I would get the 6 speed if I were you.

As far as getting colored fenders goes in a 2 door, you can always get a JL 80th Anniversary edition (automatic only) or ask to custom order a 2 door Rubicon with colored fenders.

80th anniversary link: https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...X9,EC1,DFT,DLK,Z1H,SDU,TDB,WPQ,B7,UAQ,HT1,22Q

2 Door Rubicon link: https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...RC,DEM,DMF,Z1J,SDD,TXA,WGM,D5,UAG,STB,MM3,23R

Lol. I ordered the 6 speed and my wife is NOT okay with it.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I know this thread is old and the OP probably already bought his Jeep. but here's my thoughts anyway:
The manual is really smooth. But the weak clutch combined with bigger tires (if you go that route) makes it a very difficult car to LEARN to drive stick on. If anyone is in a similar situation, I would recommend teaching the person to drive stick in a different car before letting them practice on the Jeep. But it is really smooth for someone who already knows how to drive a manual.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
I know this thread is old and the OP probably already bought his Jeep. but here's my thoughts anyway:
The manual is really smooth. But the weak clutch combined with bigger tires (if you go that route) makes it a very difficult car to LEARN to drive stick on. If anyone is in a similar situation, I would recommend teaching the person to drive stick in a different car before letting them practice on the Jeep. But it is really smooth for someone who already knows how to drive a manual.
Since we’ve revived this thread, I’m curious if anyone can comment on whether the 6 speed in the JLR is “better” than the non-Rubicons. I can easily attest that the 6 speed in the JL non-Rubicons is better than the JKs.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Since we’ve revived this thread, I’m curious if anyone can comment on whether the 6 speed in the JLR is “better” than the non-Rubicons. I can easily attest that the 6 speed in the JL non-Rubicons is better than the JKs.
Yes, it’s better because of the gearing. Regear a Sport and it’ll be just as good.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have a stock Sahara with original wheels. I find the trans to be perfect. Also better than the JK manual.
My only disappointment is you don’t get much engine braking when descending a hill. You have to use your brake to keep the Jeep from rolling too fast. I’m not even sure that’s the transmission’s fault. Maybe the rear? , the engine? All 3?

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Enjoying the manual. Drive it like a 4 speed and you'll be happy. Understanding 5th and 6th are overdrive gears only.
I think how you like the gearing is somewhat location dependent. I have a sport s on 33s and I think the gearing is great. I use 6th almost anytime I'm over 50.

However, it's pretty flat and I'm close to sea level, so that's pretty different from how things feel in the mountains.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like @Toycrusher and I have similar complaints. Personally I'd steer you toward the auto unless you have a burning desire to row gears.
It's a dual clutch in the JL and it just doesn't feel natural to me and I've been driving stick for over 30 years off and on. It's a bit of a dog IMO in terms of it's responsiveness. I did install a Hikeit recently and that helped a little. 6th gear is absolutely useless unless completely flat or slightly down hill roads. Don't even bother trying to use cruise control unless you are on said roads from last sentence. As noted the 3.6L V6 loves higher RPMs and will certainly benefit from them if you have the manual.
If you do get a manual TURN OFF the hill assist since it adds yet another layer of oddness feel to the clutch unless of course you are sitting on a hill but then again if you are good at driving stick you should know how to mitigate that.

Off roading it is a love hate relationship. In the Rubi 1st gear is killer for climbing or descending but then you have to sometimes deal with stalling on a hard obstacle.

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon, 21 Willys, 22 Rubicon
HELP!!
I have a 22, manual, 3.6 engine with 800 miles on it.
I’ve noticed on 3rd gear with high rpm, the Jeep tends to “limp” for a brief second. Figure around 2500-3000 steady rpm.
Couldn’t have a toasted crutch the damn thing is new.
Anyone else have this?
Sponsored