2021 Jeep Manual Transmission

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Try to smoothly pull a 2-3 shift from redline, time how long it takes for revs to drop from 6000 to about 4250 where you can let the clutch out, it will probably take about 2 seconds
I believe you, but the only time I might ever get remotely close to redline is in 4lo. For daily driving I shift around 3k. If I’m really trying to get moving (here in CT we have a highway that has stop signs on the entrance ramps) I’ll rev out over 4K. In that 4K scenario I’m usually so busy checking my mirrors and blind spot (and saying “please don’t hit me”) that I likely don’t notice/care how smooth my shifts are. Fellow CT people - merging on to 15 north at exit 56 in Orange, amiright?
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I believe you, but the only time I might ever get remotely close to redline is in 4lo. For daily driving I shift around 3k. If I’m really trying to get moving (here in CT we have a highway that has stop signs on the entrance ramps) I’ll rev out over 4K. In that 4K scenario I’m usually so busy checking my mirrors and blind spot (and saying “please don’t hit me”) that I likely don’t notice/care how smooth my shifts are. Fellow CT people - merging on to 15 north at exit 56 in Orange, amiright?
Gotcha, as a conservative driver, you wouldn't notice anything shifting a 3k rpm and most any merge is a "please don't hit me!" event in a JL anyway :CWL:

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Any of you getting gear clash on the 1-2 shift? Every so often I get what feels like clash, no grinding just a "second" detent. I only notice it on low rpm shifts.​

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Gotcha, as a conservative driver, you wouldn't notice anything shifting a 3k rpm and most any merge is a "please don't hit me!" event in a JL anyway :CWL:
OK, I tried this on the way to the store. I finally know what you guys are taking about. Yes, if you rev way up (I hit about 5500) and then let go of throttle and push in the clutch it takes a couple of seconds for rpm to drop.

Yeah, definitely not my style of driving so it’s not a bother to me.

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Any of you getting gear clash on the 1-2 shift? Every so often I get what feels like clash, no grinding just a "second" detent. I only notice it on low rpm shifts.​
Second gear occasionally feels clunky on mine and especially the first cold shift.

Sponsored

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
My first car, an old Comet with 3 on the tree was very crude but worked well
My 1970 F250 had a 4 speed with a super granny first, a great truck transmission
My 67 C101 Commando had a 4 speed with overdrive, It worked well for its age.
My daughters 1999 Tracker had a 5 speed, way over geared but worked well
My 97 TJ had the 5 speed, it was pretty notchy, tough to shift at times.
My 21 JLR has the 6 speed, wonderful transmission.
My 73 CB 750 Honda has a 5 speed, great transmission, it's a Honda.
My 09 Honda Ruckus has a CVT, I miss shifting but its a great scooter.
I love stick shift vehicles.

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
I had my 2020 Willys JLU re-geared to 4.56 and it is much better. I have torque when I need it and I can finally use 5th and 6th gear. I plan on going to 35’s after my lift is installed I hope I don’t loose my new found drivability.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, very occasionally, and more often when it's cold.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't remember ever feeling that. Mine's pretty smooth going into any gear.

Sponsored

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
I have been driving manual trans vehicles since the 90s when I got a 94 ZJ(grand cherokee) with a manual(yes they made them, just really rare).
I too bought a 94 Grand Cherokee with a manual trans - the only one I ever saw. They only offered a stick in the U.S. on the ZJs for a very short time. Stopped because they were using all the manual transmissions that were available at that time on the Dodge Dakota pickup.

The other rare thing about my white 1994 Grand Cherokee was that it had a red interior - also the only one I ever saw.

Like you, I've had various other manual Jeeps: 1 Cherokee, 3 Wranglers, and I have a 4th stick shift Wrangler on order now.

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
I too bought a 94 Grand Cherokee with a manual trans - the only one I ever saw. They only offered a stick in the U.S. on the ZJs for a very short time. Stopped because they were using all the manual transmissions that were available at that time on the Dodge Dakota pickup.

The other rare thing about my white 1994 Grand Cherokee was that it had a red interior - also the only one I ever saw.

Like you, I've had various other manual Jeeps: 1 Cherokee, 3 Wranglers, and I have a 4th stick shift Wrangler on order now.
Cool, I never knew the ZJ could have a red interior. Mine was blue exterior and grey interior.
Speaking of colors, in your signature it says you have a Hydro JL on order. I thought they only offered Chief or Bikini blue now. Is hydro going to be coming back to the wrangler? If so, that will be an awesome 2 door you’ll have. One of my favorite Jeep colors.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
I'm on day four and after "accelerator pedal recalibration" things are going much better. Zero stalls today, in town, hills, traffic lights, downhills, corners, etc. Still finding the right balance of releasing the clutch with zero pedal, versus tapping it first. I'm not noticing rev hang yet up to 4.5--5k, but will try to pay attention when I blast onto the highway the first time.

There are a ton of threads about experienced manual drivers stalling these in the beginning. Don't lose hope, have patience.

I test drove a 2020 Rubicon with automatic back in July. :puke: I can't believe that in 2020 with an 8spd I still managed the BS half-to-full second hesitations it was giving me while it tried to figure out what to do with itself. Felt like I was driving my parents' 1990 minivan, and that was 25--40mph on surface streets. I'll take a bit of playing with the pedal to hit the shift points over guaranteed superfluous shifts and power loss in the automatic, thank you.

2021 Rubicon 3.6 manual, stock all terrains. Coming from a 94 YJ 4.0 IT, so it's waaay different.

Deleted member 59098

I’m totally happy with my manual. Only minor annoyance is the clutch pedal is very slippery if you have just a tiny amount of snow on your shoes.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m totally happy with my manual. Only minor annoyance is the clutch pedal is very slippery if you have just a tiny amount of snow on your shoes.
Yea but you get that with any stick vehicle. The best is when I fuel up my work truck (manual trans) and somebody before me spilled diesel fuel near the pump......oh boy!
Happy New Year Rob.
Sponsored