Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Hello

I currently have a 2015 Hydro Blue Jeep Wrangler Sahara JK. I ordered in back in August of 2014 and the order came in October 2014. I love it except I didn't get a manual transmission. I grew up learning to drive manuals and I really miss not being able to row gears. The only reason I didn't get the manual is because of my wife. She occasionally drives my Jeep (she has a 2020 Sahara JKU) but not very often. I am at the point now that I am getting the itch to get another Jeep and this time I want a manual. She has never driven a manual and I told her that I would teach her but she has no desire to learn. For the little times that she drives my current Jeep, I think I'm leaning towards the manual if I decide to get another Jeep.

For those of you that have a JL manual, do you like it? When I was researching my JK back in 2014, there were many complaints about the manual. The few reviews I have read about the JL manuals, have been positive.

The other issue I have is I like the Saharas but they don't make them in 2 doors anymore. I really don't like the black fenders on many of the Wrangler models. Here in Florida, the sun kills the black plastic on my Jeep bumpers so I'd like to have the colored fenders. It looks like that is an option on the Rubicon but my off roading consists of a few dirt roads so I think the Rubicon is overkill (but who cares?!)

I know this is too early to discuss 2022 models but I am hoping that Jeep keeps the manual as an option on the 2022s as I won't be ready to purchase for another 6-8 months or longer.

Someone please talk me out of getting another Jeep! :)
[/QUOTE
My Jeeps have always been a manual and always will be. Plus I don't want to pay $2500 for an automatic transmission. Plus a manual is a millennial anti-theft device...

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Been trying to find a manual nearby to test drive before I decide/order my car.

I want a base or sport s (4dr).

Found an 18 Rubicon in town and give it a nice drive.

Shifts were smooth, felt great actually. I haven't driven a manual since I traded my wrx for an ev back in 2018. I was surprised by how easy it felt (clutch is lighter than I'd like but whatever) 6th was OK for the freeway. I was surprised by the low rpms in 5th at 50-60 on the rural streets. I didn't find it weird to go from 6th to 4th/3rd to accelerate. Always been pretty normal for me.

Would the base/s model be that different from the Rubicon? I'll try to drive one before ordering, but I'll probably do it regardless. I miss having a manual, and this will be our fun/vacation car (need to upgrade my tow car).

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
There is an 18 sport s in town with a manual. Unfortunately, the dealer couldn't get it to run. Went down the road to drive the $60,000 Rubicon because I thought they were the same transmission. Guess I'll have to keep trying, really nervous about ordering something without driving it first!

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
There is an 18 sport s in town with a manual. Unfortunately, the dealer couldn't get it to run. Went down the road to drive the $60,000 Rubicon because I thought they were the same transmission. Guess I'll have to keep trying, really nervous about ordering something without driving it first!
They are the same transmission. Different axle gears.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Same with me. The one I wanted was a Sport S, and the only thing locally I could find was a 2-door stripper w/ the manual. Both drove the same, and I liked it other than the super light clutch. Wish it had a bit more feel to it.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've mentioned it probably too many times, but the best upgrade you can give a manual JL is the heavy flywheel and clutch from Centerforce (and someday other competitors with similar offerings). The heavy flywheel made my JL feel like a classic V8 powered truck at low speeds.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know. Thx.

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Gotcha! So they should drive about the same. I'll just have to see what works for cruising speeds, not too concerned with the whole "it's a 4spd with 2 extra gears" thing. Though I do find it odd. Even at 45mph I'd typically pop into my top gear and cruise at low rpms.

How's the manual work for towing? It's rated the same, just couldn't find much info on this. Our current camper is approx 1,600lb loaded (aliner pop up). Will upgrade to something like a 16ft scamp/Casita in the future.

Also, does the wrangler have a break assist for starting on an Incline? Most modern manuals have this, but I can see why the wrangler wouldn't. Just something I've gotten used to, my test drive route was flat :)

Sponsored

Lyaec350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I'm going to go contrary to many of the posters here.

I ordered a 2 dr Rubicon tailored to exactly what I wanted. The one thing I wish I could change would be getting the auto vs manual.

The clutch in this Jeep sucks. The pedal is very soft (hydro assist) and there is very little pedal feedback of clutch engagement (probably due to the dual disc design) which makes shifts tricky to get smooth, despite having driven it for 16k miles so far.

The gear spacing is also really weird, at stock tire size with Rubi gears, 1st was crazy short, typically having to shift 1st-2nd within the intersection while making a left turn, for example. Same with taking off from a light, the 1st-2nd shift is almost immediate, then you're needing to shift up to 3rd right away once you hit 30mph or so. Driving slowly in parking garages was also miserable because 2nd at idle is too fast but if you stay in 1st you're revving like crazy the engine screaming and everyone looking at you funny.

Things are a little better with 37s, but now I think the gearing is now overall too high since reverse is so tall. My driveway is slightly uphill and to back around the corner in to my garage uphill I have to either slip the clutch a lot or end up stalling. Maybe I'd be happy with 4.56s or something, but 4.88 and certainly 5.13 sound too low given my issues with the stock gearing.

Compare this to the fact that people with the auto have no problems with the 4.11s and 37s...

Anyway, unless you're one of those people that absolutely HAS to drive a manual, hard stop, this is not the vehicle to buy in stick.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm going to go contrary to many of the posters here.

I ordered a 2 dr Rubicon tailored to exactly what I wanted. The one thing I wish I could change would be getting the auto vs manual.

The clutch in this Jeep sucks. The pedal is very soft (hydro assist) and there is very little pedal feedback of clutch engagement (probably due to the dual disc design) which makes shifts tricky to get smooth, despite having driven it for 16k miles so far.

The gear spacing is also really weird, at stock tire size with Rubi gears, 1st was crazy short, typically having to shift 1st-2nd within the intersection while making a left turn, for example. Same with taking off from a light, the 1st-2nd shift is almost immediate, then you're needing to shift up to 3rd right away once you hit 30mph or so. Driving slowly in parking garages was also miserable because 2nd at idle is too fast but if you stay in 1st you're revving like crazy the engine screaming and everyone looking at you funny.

Things are a little better with 37s, but now I think the gearing is now overall too high since reverse is so tall. My driveway is slightly uphill and to back around the corner in to my garage uphill I have to either slip the clutch a lot or end up stalling. Maybe I'd be happy with 4.56s or something, but 4.88 and certainly 5.13 sound too low given my issues with the stock gearing.

Compare this to the fact that people with the auto have no problems with the 4.11s and 37s...

Anyway, unless you're one of those people that absolutely HAS to drive a manual, hard stop, this is not the vehicle to buy in stick.
I had every one of those issues and the CF flywheel fixes them all (well, not the gear spacing). You can let the clutch out with the motor at idle and you'll creep forward rather than stall (even on my 37s). The bunny-hop at low rpm is mostly gone. The clutch is completely linear, no more guessing where the engagement point will be each time you put the clutch in.

I want 5.13 gears, but just to have an excuse to use 5th and 6th. They aren't necessary for street driving even when towing, and off-road, I'm in low range anyway and with that 4:1 t-case, 1st is already too low of a gear.
Sponsored