2021 Jeep JLR problems in first few days

danh

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I took it in, described the issue, and showed the dealer the thread concerning the issue. They farted around for a few weeks, then finally removed the rear diff cover, saw that the fluid was black, inspected things and determined the clutch packs were shot and had crapped enough junk out to damage everything else. They rebuilt the rear end and I haven't had any issues since. All under warranty. Others have reported that the issue recurred after a rear end rebuild. Look for thread titled "Knock in rear with Dana 44".
Sponsored

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I took it in, described the issue, and showed the dealer the thread concerning the issue. They farted around for a few weeks, then finally removed the rear diff cover, saw that the fluid was black, inspected things and determined the clutch packs were shot and had crapped enough junk out to damage everything else. They rebuilt the rear end and I haven't had any issues since. All under warranty. Others have reported that the issue recurred after a rear end rebuild. Look for thread titled "Knock in rear with Dana 44".
Damn the fact that it came back after they rebuilt the diff is really discouraging. I’ll check out the thread

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I've had this thing for 200 miles and I think something is up unfortunately. I'm hearing a shuttering/clunking noise when doing a U-turn at slow speeds, it seems to be coming from the rear end.
I uploaded a short clip so you guys can hear what I'm talking about. you can't really hear it unless you hold the speaker up close to your ear or have headphones on but once you hear it you'll know what I'm talking about.

here's me doing donuts in my backyard to recreate the noise.
you can really hear it at 13 seconds

anyone know what this could be?

I also have what looks like a paint defect in the rear tailgate, does anyone else have this? Would it be better to take it to the dealership i bought it at or would the closest Jeep dealership be okay?

F01DBD1A-0F5C-4492-AEF3-54FDF33438D9.jpeg
Go to the dealer you bought it from. Have them repaint the rear door. No question about that. Have them listen to the sound, probably the spider gear in the diff. I had that in a new Corvette and it was just because they used the wrong diff fluid during manufacturing. I had a Honda Civic with a bad clutch off the lot. Never had another problem with it after that. Had a cracked radiator in my new Honda Ridgeline first 500miles. After that 150K miles later and never another problem other then brake pads and tires. Had a Toyota Tundra with warped brake rotors 3 times in the first 2K miles and then never another problem after they were replaced. It can happen to any new vehicle regardless of make. Don't make yourself crazy. Go to the selling dealer, get those things fixed and be happy.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
My tailgate looks fine. Just a little rough over spray. Dealership should take care of your no problem.

330D206E-FDA0-4F76-943C-0B4AC25FD55C.jpeg

BrendanMarine

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hello!

I had this exact same problem! I took mine back in after 1 day owning it. I posted a thread here if your interested. Turns out it was the rear differential fluid, they changed it out and it doesnt Make the sound anymore!

hope it helps!PM me if you want more info

Sponsored

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Sounds like a bad U-joint my have been installed. get the front in the air on jack stands and grab the wheel and see if you have any play at the u-joint at the steering knuckle on ether side..As far as the door have them repaint it will match. Please follow up on the u-joint!

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
I've had this thing for 200 miles and I think something is up unfortunately. I'm hearing a shuttering/clunking noise when doing a U-turn at slow speeds, it seems to be coming from the rear end.
I uploaded a short clip so you guys can hear what I'm talking about. you can't really hear it unless you hold the speaker up close to your ear or have headphones on but once you hear it you'll know what I'm talking about.

I also have what looks like a paint defect in the rear tailgate, does anyone else have this? Would it be better to take it to the dealership i bought it at or would the closest Jeep dealership be okay?

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep JLR problems in first few days 330D206E-FDA0-4F76-943C-0B4AC25FD55C
I would call the dealership where I bought it or whatever dealership is closest to you and take it in, and if you run into any problems call jeep and they will look into it and take care of it for you and set up the appointment with the dealership. I don’t believe you will have any issue getting both of these items fixed. I have a 2018 JL and I’ve had it in 10 times for a few different things since I’ve bought it and I have never had a problem getting it fixed.

Equator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2021
Since you mentioned it, I checked my rear door on my 2021 JLU and can see a not quite so smooth finish at the same location. I would not have noticed it without this thread, but there is a difference for sure.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Still dealing with the issues and no updates, really missing my jk right about now 😂 🍋

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
If it's on corners only it's spider gears which aren't serviceable on RUBICON. RUBICON"s don't have clutches. You'll get a new diff assembly or possibly a complete axle assembly. I'd push hard for the complete assy. as new as it is. 45+ years doing rearends....Happy hunting!

Sponsored

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Still dealing with the issues and no updates, really missing my jk right about now 😂 🍋
I traded my problem free JKU in on the JLU, and have seriously regretted it since. Many issues, mostly steering. No problem found, ever, until it would not turn left. It would just lock up until I turned it to the right and then back to the left. I dropped it off and told them keep it until it was fixed. The next morning they couldn't turn left to get it into the shop. New steering box. Radiator. Front end shimmy....... My JK made me smile every time I looked at it. My JL makes me grimace.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I traded my problem free JKU in on the JLU, and have seriously regretted it since. Many issues, mostly steering. No problem found, ever, until it would not turn left. It would just lock up until I turned it to the right and then back to the left. I dropped it off and told them keep it until it was fixed. The next morning they couldn't turn left to get it into the shop. New steering box. Radiator. Front end shimmy....... My JK made me smile every time I looked at it. My JL makes me grimace.
As much as I’m in love with my JL if it comes to a point where I need to lemon law it, I will and start a search for a jk again. Not going through this headache

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
If it's on corners only it's spider gears which aren't serviceable on RUBICON. RUBICON"s don't have clutches. You'll get a new diff assembly or possibly a complete axle assembly. I'd push hard for the complete assy. as new as it is. 45+ years doing rearends....Happy hunting!
I’m gonna push for that option, I’m waiting on the Jeep cares to get back to me tomorrow hopefully. This jeep was way to much money for this to be happening at currently 510 miles! I guess if they never fix it a dana60 would fix it :)

Jeepmanic

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Occupation
Semi retired

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep JLR problems in first few days 330D206E-FDA0-4F76-943C-0B4AC25FD55C
It’s not the paint. It’s a bad casting that should never had made it out of the factory. That part for the tailgate is cast out of magnesium.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
It’s not the paint. It’s a bad casting that should never had made it out of the factory. That part for the tailgate is cast out of magnesium.
Would this effect the structural integrity of the tailgate or is it just cosmetic?
Sponsored