2021 Jeep JLR problems in first few days

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Run your finger across the surface. IT is no where near smooth due to how it is cast, just like any cast iron items. With it being on the inside of the swing gate and it is rarely ever seen i wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't affect the structural strength of it and if you do want it smoothed out, they will need to use body fillers.
I'm not worried about it at all really. I was just letting the OP know they are not alone. It has paint on it, it is inside, the entire inside of the tailgate looks nothing like the outside as far as finish, looks like not clear coated almost looks like a rough rhino lining. I didn't buy it for the inside of the tailgate and I am sure after a year of me beating the hell out of it, the inside of the tailgate will be the best-looking part lol.
Sponsored

pineapplegrenade

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR & 21 JLUR
We have a 2021 JLUR and my tailgate has defects in the cast as well. Not to the extent of that yours has but honestly I haven’t thought twice about it.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Okay, I just looked at mine for the first time closely. The paint jub is fine, but the surface is a little rough, as you would expect from a cast part. I had no idea they had cast that section of the tailgate, but it appears to be the case. I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Figured I’d add mine as well. Just looked at mine. It’s not quite as bad as yours but it’s a textured style surface, almost Line x but not quite. I remember seeing it when I bought it but just figured it’s the way these magnesium tailgates are. But again, not quite as bad as yours but still not a smooth surface. Good luck. I love my new Rubicon! Bought it in Nov and still love getting in it every day.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I've had this thing for 200 miles and I think something is up unfortunately. I'm hearing a shuttering/clunking noise when doing a U-turn at slow speeds, it seems to be coming from the rear end.
I uploaded a short clip so you guys can hear what I'm talking about. you can't really hear it unless you hold the speaker up close to your ear or have headphones on but once you hear it you'll know what I'm talking about.

here's me doing donuts in my backyard to recreate the noise.
you can really hear it at 13 seconds

anyone know what this could be?

I also have what looks like a paint defect in the rear tailgate, does anyone else have this? Would it be better to take it to the dealership i bought it at or would the closest Jeep dealership be okay?

F01DBD1A-0F5C-4492-AEF3-54FDF33438D9.jpeg
That’s not bad paint. That’s bad mag casting. They’re going to have to replace it or smooth it and repaint.
That clunking is awful. I’m sorry you’re going through this. I’m sure fca and your local dealer should get you dialed in but it’s gonna take some time

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I'm not worried about it at all really. I was just letting the OP know they are not alone. It has paint on it, it is inside, the entire inside of the tailgate looks nothing like the outside as far as finish, looks like not clear coated almost looks like a rough rhino lining. I didn't buy it for the inside of the tailgate and I am sure after a year of me beating the hell out of it, the inside of the tailgate will be the best-looking part lol.
If i came off hostile i apologize :facepalm: but yea my point exactly with the inside getting banged upp.

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I've had this thing for 200 miles and I think something is up unfortunately. I'm hearing a shuttering/clunking noise when doing a U-turn at slow speeds, it seems to be coming from the rear end.
I uploaded a short clip so you guys can hear what I'm talking about. you can't really hear it unless you hold the speaker up close to your ear or have headphones on but once you hear it you'll know what I'm talking about.

here's me doing donuts in my backyard to recreate the noise.
you can really hear it at 13 seconds

anyone know what this could be?

I also have what looks like a paint defect in the rear tailgate, does anyone else have this? Would it be better to take it to the dealership i bought it at or would the closest Jeep dealership be okay?

F01DBD1A-0F5C-4492-AEF3-54FDF33438D9.jpeg
I have the same noise on my 19 rubicon 2door, 25k miles and its still there. Its the muffler bouncing around in the brackets. I hear 50% of the time turning into and up my steep driveway. Dealership won't do anything about it for me. The noise comes and goes depending on humidity and temp.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Well I was told my Jeep cares case manager was to call me back the next day on 1/11/21, I called them back 1/12,then 1/13 and finally today and have yet to be contacted by my case manager. I pm’d jeepcares here through the forum like they asked earlier in the thread and have yet to receive a reply back.

dealership told me to contactJeep cares in regards to the tail gate. For the noise they said they wont be able to tell were it’s coming from until it gets worse. So to keep driving the vehicle and that it’s most likely fine. This is my fourth Wrangler and the first vehicle I was I fortunate enough to buy brand new in my life, and as much as I love the Jeep the customer service ain’t too good.

ClaviusBase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have the same noise on my 19 rubicon 2door, 25k miles and its still there. Its the muffler bouncing around in the brackets. I hear 50% of the time turning into and up my steep driveway. Dealership won't do anything about it for me. The noise comes and goes depending on humidity and temp.
Interesting. I saw something similar to this in another thread, but then there is a different thread saying it's a different, more serious issue.

I notice it most when going in my driveway or up a hill and coming to a stop as well. I have also noticed it when driving slow in parking lots.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Interesting. I saw something similar to this in another thread, but then there is a different thread saying it's a different, more serious issue.

I notice it most when going in my driveway or up a hill and coming to a stop as well. I have also noticed it when driving slow in parking lots.
Sounds like we have the exact same issue. I hope whatever it is, it breaks before my power train warranty expires

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I cannot wait til the next episode...I hope things work out...this is totally unacceptable for a new vehicle...I would get a jeep as a loaner from them, and do not return it til your totally satisfied. I had a 89 GT Mustang with T-Roofs...they leaked, brought it in, they gave me a loaner and I did not return it til it was fixed. They called me numerous times to give it back...never did until it was fixed...good luck and keep us informed

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I cannot wait til the next episode...I hope things work out...this is totally unacceptable for a new vehicle...I would get a jeep as a loaner from them, and do not return it til your totally satisfied. I had a 89 GT Mustang with T-Roofs...they leaked, brought it in, they gave me a loaner and I did not return it til it was fixed. They called me numerous times to give it back...never did until it was fixed...good luck and keep us informed
They told me to kick rocks basically, until it/if it gets worse so they can locate the noise/problem. They offered to repaint the tailgate and that’s it

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Damm, maybe bring it to another dealer? you have lots down in Miami...like I said get a loaner from who ever you bring it to...let them repair it til your 100% satisfied...this is not a cheap used vehicle

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
This is why vehicles have a warranty. And unlike most here the last thing I would do is walk in and demand a loaner or rental. Be nice, polite, but firm. They will repaint it.
If they will not or can not fix the noise keep detailed records of who you talk to and when. Eventually you can file a Lemon Law complaint and try for a replacement. But they won’t replace it based on noise alone.
Good luck
Sponsored