Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
OP - if you’re going to have them fix your tailgate paint, also check the hinge and see if it missed like my 21 JLUR... should just get it all done at the same time.

47848BDE-9DEF-4E33-BA42-95C03A87FB67.jpeg
Thanks for the heads up man, I’ll be back over there tomorrow morning so I’m gonna make sure to check that!

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I know FCA Doesn’t have the best QC but I have to question that trunk tailgate leaving the factory like that if in fact it did. Something is very fishy here.

ClaviusBase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have a brand new 2021 80th anniversary model and it makes the same noise when driving slow or backing out of the driveway. I found some other threads about it as well. No one seemed to have a straight answer. I think one person said they put some sort of accessory on the tail pipe and it stopped it like it was a vibration or something.

Anthnyslzr7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler unlimited Willys
I've had this thing for 200 miles and I think something is up unfortunately. I'm hearing a shuttering/clunking noise when doing a U-turn at slow speeds, it seems to be coming from the rear end.
I uploaded a short clip so you guys can hear what I'm talking about. you can't really hear it unless you hold the speaker up close to your ear or have headphones on but once you hear it you'll know what I'm talking about.

here's me doing donuts in my backyard to recreate the noise.
you can really hear it at 13 seconds

anyone know what this could be?

I also have what looks like a paint defect in the rear tailgate, does anyone else have this? Would it be better to take it to the dealership i bought it at or would the closest Jeep dealership be okay?

F01DBD1A-0F5C-4492-AEF3-54FDF33438D9.jpeg
Years ago before I got my jeep had brakes changed at Pepboys on my car. After driving home I was hearing a similar knocking noise coming from my front passenger side. A few days later I brought it back to Pepboys, and explained the situation to one of the more senior mechanics there; to make a long story short they never put my tire on correctly and all my Lug nuts were loose. The guy said that the wheel probably would've flew right off if I hadn't brought it in and apologized.

I know in the owners manual is says after a few miles(50 I think) with your new vehicle you should check that all your lug nuts are tightened properly. That may be the cause of the noise.

Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
@Suspect I really couldn't hear much in the video, but here is something to try. I had a weird noise from the rear which I thought was coming from the rear axle area. Turned out to be the tire jack kit moving in it's slot while turning. Once I re-adjusted it correctly in it's slot, no more noise.

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
SO, I have a 2021 JLUR picked up Dec. 31. I just looked at that area in mine and it too has that truck bedliner quality of dimpling in that exact same area?

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Yup, we got the exact same tailgate. I’m a little relieved now that I know they didn’t sell me a crashed vehicle. Really shitty we have to deal with this on a new Jeep but at least it’s inside and not outside.
MIne is red and looks the exact same way.

2leegit

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Suspect
-Ask them to order a color matched tailgate from the factory to replace the defective one. What you show in the photo is totally unacceptable. That is what I would do. My tailgate has no defects like that.
-Hopefully on the first try the dealership can locate and repair the noise from the rear. After you pick it up and if it is still there document with high quality videos multiple times so you can escalate to corporate to get it resolved properly.

Two minor items that the dealership should be able to handle.
Body parts/service parts don’t come painted from the manufacturers, usually primed and ready for base coat paint. Only outside mirror caps and fuel lids sometimes do.

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
SO, I have a 2021 JLUR picked up Dec. 31. I just looked at that area in mine and it too has that truck bedliner quality of dimpling in that exact same area?
Run your finger across the surface. IT is no where near smooth due to how it is cast, just like any cast iron items. With it being on the inside of the swing gate and it is rarely ever seen i wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't affect the structural strength of it and if you do want it smoothed out, they will need to use body fillers.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I’m gonna contact Jeep cares with the issue and maybe I’ll get someone who can help me this time. Thanks for the help man that’s a great idea
Hey @Suspect , we heard you might want our help? Feel free to send us a private message with your current mileage & VIN if you're still working with your Jeep dealer and want us to look into this for you.

I have a brand new 2021 80th anniversary model and it makes the same noise when driving slow or backing out of the driveway. I found some other threads about it as well. No one seemed to have a straight answer. I think one person said they put some sort of accessory on the tail pipe and it stopped it like it was a vibration or something.
If you decide to get this properly diagnosed by your Jeep dealer and have any questions or concerns, you may feel free to send us a private message as well! We hope you can get everything resolved quickly.

Courtney
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Hey @Suspect , we heard you might want our help? Feel free to send us a private message with your current mileage & VIN if you're still working with your Jeep dealer and want us to look into this for you.

If you decide to get this properly diagnosed by your Jeep dealer and have any questions or concerns, you may feel free to send us a private message as well! We hope you can get everything resolved quickly.

Courtney
Jeep Cares
I have called Jeep Cares and have a case number. I was told a case manager will be returning my call within 24 hours and I have yet to receive a call regarding any of the two issues.
Edit: I would love to speak to someone at Jeep cares, the Jeep was a total of 52k and have spent the first week in and out of the dealer

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have called Jeep Cares and have a case number. I was told a case manager will be returning my call within 24 hours and I have yet to receive a call regarding any of the two issues.
Edit: I would love to speak to someone at Jeep cares, the Jeep was a total of 52k and have spent the first week in and out of the dealer
Hello again,

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't heard from your Case Manager yet. As the JeepCares team, we like to monitor various social media sites to identify trends in customer needs and directly engage with all of you through these sites in an effort to create a more positive Jeep Brand experience. In your case, I would essentially advocate on your behalf and ensure that your situation receives the proper level of care and your Case Manager communicates with you within a timely manner. If this is something you're interested in, please follow up via private messages.

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Sponsored