Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’d definitely address it before lifts or tires. I wouldn’t worry too much about the paint match either due to where it is.
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of curiosity, where in S Florida are you?

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
ahhh, copy that. I'm in Sarasota area and was going to offer help if you were close. Good luck with both issues.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
ahhh, copy that. I'm in Sarasota area and was going to offer help if you were close. Good luck with both issues.
I appreciate it anyways man that’s really nice of you. This feels like some sketchy shit that only happens down here haha I’ll update this thread with what they tell me

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I also have what looks like a paint defect in the rear tailgate, does anyone else have this? Would it be better to take it to the dealership i bought it at or would the closest Jeep dealership be okay?

F01DBD1A-0F5C-4492-AEF3-54FDF33438D9.jpeg
Dude, my tailgate looks just like yours! Not sure WTF happened but I just try to ignore it.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Dude, my tailgate looks just like yours! Not sure WTF happened but I just try to ignore it.
No way dude! Would you be able to post a pic?! I can deal with shitty quality factory paint but I was worried they had used bondo to cover damage. I’m on my way to the dealership I might be able to show other people have had this issue to

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Jeep JLR problems in first few days IMG_3582

Here's mine, might be even worse than yours?

Also check your grille if it's white. Look above the driver's side headlight area for signs of yellowing. I have that too :(. Common issue on white grilles as well.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR

Also check your grille if it's white. Look above the driver's side headlight area for signs of yellowing. I have that too :(. Common issue on white grilles as well.
Yup, we got the exact same tailgate. I’m a little relieved now that I know they didn’t sell me a crashed vehicle. Really shitty we have to deal with this on a new Jeep but at least it’s inside and not outside.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon

The the yellowing sounds like a possible heat problem. I have a white jeep also, I’ll check mine.

Sponsored

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
The the yellowing sounds like a possible heat problem. I have a white jeep also, I’ll check mine.
I am not sure but I believe the jl tailgate is made from magnesium. If so this could be casting porosity. Nothing to worry about structurally. Only way to repair is sand and or grind surface to smooth out then repaint.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Damn I'm picking up my new Nacho JLU tomorrow. I'll definitely be looking for this, deal breaker if I see it. I know how you feel though. You have a brand new (not cheap) vehicle that you want to keep as pristine as possible and you take every measure to do so, then this shit happens completely beyond your control.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
That def looks like body repair work. Magnet would be my first test.
Isn't the tailgate Aluminum?
When I worked at a dealership (in another century) new cars would occasionally wind up in the body shop with minor lot damage. Work was always done well. That paint defect looks to me like something was stuck to the panel before paint. No body shop did that bad a repair job.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Isn't the tailgate Aluminum?
When I worked at a dealership (in another century) new cars would occasionally wind up in the body shop with minor lot damage. Work was always done well. That paint defect looks to me like something was stuck to the panel before paint. No body shop did that bad a repair job.
Inside of the tailgate is magnesium and outside shell is aluminum. Service advisor just confirmed it’s a known defect particularly on lighter colors. I dropped of the Jeep to have the noise taken care of. If it’s still bothering me when I pick it up I’ll ask what’s the process to have it fixed. I just don’t want to be stuck bumming rides/in a rental for 2+ weeks

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My 2020 2 door sport s has the same noise when driving just as you describe. It’s been doing it since I picked it up with 12 miles and still does it at 15k miles but slightly more now. I put 33” mud tires on it around the 11k mile mark so I know if I bring it in they will try to say that caused the noise.
This all reminds me of the old TJ drive train rattle, which I went through numerous rounds with the dealer and Chrysler. The end result was a statement from the dealership & factory "Vehicle functions as designed". Be very meticulous about your document keeping on this matter.
Sponsored