2021 Jeep JL Clutch Pressure Plate Failure

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
I bought a new 2021 Jeep JL in November 2020. I had the software update done on my first service appointment in March 2021. Last week my Jeep, with less than 12,000 miles, blew the pressure plate, blowing the clutch and blowing a hole in the top of the bell housing, cutting the electrical wiring and cutting the coolant line. I checked NHTSA and my Jeep's VIN is not included in the recall. The dealer is trying to claim this is simply driver error that caused the clutch to fail and that I am responsible. I am now forced to go down the rabbit hole of fighting with Chrysler/Jeep to make them take responsibility for this issue. Obviously, the software update did not prevent this catastrophic failure. Anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Was the current gear displayed on the instrument panel? That seems to indicate the software update was installed.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I bought a new 2021 Jeep JL in November 2020. I had the software update done on my first service appointment in March 2021. Last week my Jeep, with less than 12,000 miles, blew the pressure plate, blowing the clutch and blowing a hole in the top of the bell housing, cutting the electrical wiring and cutting the coolant line. I checked NHTSA and my Jeep's VIN is not included in the recall. The dealer is trying to claim this is simply driver error that caused the clutch to fail and that I am responsible. I am now forced to go down the rabbit hole of fighting with Chrysler/Jeep to make them take responsibility for this issue. Obviously, the software update did not prevent this catastrophic failure. Anyone have any experience with this?
Hi csddoglover,
Recalls are VIN specific and based on vehicle build dates. We're sorry for any inconvenience you may be experiencing because of this. If you'd like to send us a PM, we'd be happy to discuss further to determine how we may best assist.

Sarah
Jeep Cares

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
You mention a cooling line, what engine do you have in your Jeep?

Sponsored

OP
OP
csddoglover

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Did they elaborate on what such driver error could cause this damage?

OP
OP
csddoglover

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
You mention a cooling line, what engine do you have in your Jeep?
Itā€™s a V6.
Of course not, nor can anyone I know explain how even a worst driver in the world could cause such a thing to happen.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good question, also still wondering what motor he has since he mentioned damaged coolant line.

Sponsored

OP
OP
csddoglover

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
Hi csddoglover,
Recalls are VIN specific and based on vehicle build dates. We're sorry for any inconvenience you may be experiencing because of this. If you'd like to send us a PM, we'd be happy to discuss further to determine how we may best assist.

Sarah
Jeep Cares
My claim was denied by Jeep Cares. They never even bothered to talk to me; just, so sorry, clutch, my fault. This has now been sent up to the Special Investigations Team.

OP
OP
csddoglover

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
My claim was denied by Jeep Cares. They never even bothered to talk to me; just, so sorry, clutch, my fault. This has now been sent up to the Special Investigations Team.
Also, my Jeep received the safety notice last February. The software update was performed 3/21. Kind of sounds like the update doesnā€™t necessarily work.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Itā€™s nearly impossible to prove what caused the failure. Typically, itā€™s worth a warranty repair once. If it happens twice, itā€™s the driver.

And no, itā€™s not difficult to cause complete clutch failure. 16 year old boys are really good at it.

Reactions: VNT

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s nearly impossible to prove what caused the failure. Typically, itā€™s worth a warranty repair once. If it happens twice, itā€™s the driver.

And no, itā€™s not difficult to cause complete clutch failure. 16 year old boys are really good at it.
Among other things! My teen & his friends are really good at tearing things up, at least in my son's case he's pretty adept at fixing them.
Sponsored