Sponsored

2021 Jeep JL Clutch Pressure Plate Failure

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The official recall documents state, italics mine:

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles. The remedy is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall is estimated to launch in 2nd Quarter of 2023.​
as is known:

Stop sale is in effect for the above-identified vehicles.
as is also known:
The suspect period began on August 23, 2017, when production of Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with manual transmissions started, and ended on February 16, 2023, when FCA US LLC ("FCA US") suspended shipment of vehicles with manual transmissions.​
in short, all JLs with manual transmissions.
Sponsored

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
So you used the ACT video as a guide but used the Centerforce parts, correct? I've personally never heard of ACT until seeing the video thumb here. Well versed in Centerforce though as they've been around most of my life. Anyone running the ACT stuff here?
ACT has been around a while, they make great clutches. I've used them in many racing applications.

Are you sure?
I thought LUK manufactured the JL clutches. German manufacturer.

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
ACT has been around a while, they make great clutches. I've used them in many racing applications.

I thought LUK manufactured the JL clutches. German manufacturer.

The one think that I have found suspect in this whole clutch debacle. If the clutch is rated to hold the amount of power that is stated and Jeep does not manufacture the clutch itself why wouldn't they hold the part manufacturer accountable? Whether it is a design or manufacturing issue with the CLUTCH is what seems to be the problem here. Why wouldn't Jeep sue them into oblivion and force them to pay for the repairs aka like Takata and the airbag explosions?

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
The one think that I have found suspect in this whole clutch debacle. If the clutch is rated to hold the amount of power that is stated and Jeep does not manufacture the clutch itself why wouldn't they hold the part manufacturer accountable? Whether it is a design or manufacturing issue with the CLUTCH is what seems to be the problem here. Why wouldn't Jeep sue them into oblivion and force them to pay for the repairs aka like Takata and the airbag explosions?
I work with a lot of suppliers. It's definitely a back and forth. did jeep engineers design the clutch or the suppliers? is the supplier in compliance with jeep's tolerances? these are all conversations that will happen behind closed doors. If the supplier is at fault, they would likely have to replace them on their own dime.

The difference between this and the takata debacle is that no one has died as far as anyone knows and as far as we know there's been no manufacturer cover up.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I work with a lot of suppliers. It's definitely a back and forth. did jeep engineers design the clutch or the suppliers? is the supplier in compliance with jeep's tolerances? these are all conversations that will happen behind closed doors. If the supplier is at fault, they would likely have to replace them on their own dime.

The difference between this and the takata debacle is that no one has died as far as anyone knows and as far as we know there's been no manufacturer cover up.
Yep, these are the details we will never know. The fact that people continue to buy them after so many exploded back in ‘18 just baffles me.

The fix is obvious, to replace the entire clutch assembly. Anyone who cares about their safety and the integrity of their vehicle should do so at their own expense and bill it to Jeep later.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Yep, these are the details we will never know. The fact that people continue to buy them after so many exploded back in ‘18 just baffles me.

The fix is obvious, to replace the entire clutch assembly. Anyone who cares about their safety and the integrity of their vehicle should do so at their own expense and bill it to Jeep later.
Pretty much. I purchased this jeep knowing full well as part of my cost calculation that I'd be buying an aftermarket clutch/flywheel asap to install.
Sponsored