First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I drove a 2000 TJ sport for 12 years, this jeep is luxurious compared to that.
It drives great and the ride is smooth on the road.
I'm pretty impressed with power of the little 3.0 diesel, not much lag. I also own a 2017 F350 powerstroke.
Tows my 22' bay boat (3000 lbs) easily,

Cons would be the maintenance expense for diesels but that comes with owning one.
I also have the upgraded alpine sound system, it could be better.
Thanks for the pointers. I’m willing to live with the maintenance costs. Yeah the alpine for being an upgrade was about the same as my stock Mercedes. Looking forward to place my order.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Thank you for the reply. What are your thoughts with me daily commute only being about 5 miles? Weekends would be camping and off roading.
You might want to research diesel engines and drivng on short trips. All engines need to warm up fully and run at proper operating tempatures. 5 mile trips are pretty short even for a gas engine. Diesel engines really need to run longer than that to full warm up. I believe the warm up is important for the regen cycles? I would definitely double check to see if your daily driving habits are a good match for a diesel.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
You might want to research diesel engines and drivng on short trips. All engines need to warm up fully and run at proper operating tempatures. 5 mile trips are pretty short even for a gas engine. Diesel engines really need to run longer than that to full warm up. I believe the warm up is important for the regen cycles? I would definitely double check to see if your daily driving habits are a good match for a diesel.
I totally hear you and I understand. I don’t wanna ruin my new car but I also don’t want the other engine options. I just wish they offered a 5.7 L HEMI.

OP
OP

GS1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I will update soon on how FCA handles this one, but it is not looking good......going on 4 weeks.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Thank you for the reply. What are your thoughts with me daily commute only being about 5 miles? Weekends would be camping and off roading.
I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins Diesel. Before that, a 2000 Dodge 2500 diesel. They were both daily drivers with about 40 minutes drive to work, each way. It took about 11 miles to bring the engines up to proper temp.
4 years ago, my job made my commute to work, all of 2 minutes, each way. Very very hard on any vehicle, especially a diesel.
In 2018 I purchased my JLU Sport, which warms up much faster. I save the big truck for longer drives, and any hauling that needs to be done.
I wouldnt by a diesel, if my commute were only 5 miles.
Oh, idling a diesel will not bring it up to temp, unless you idle it for an hour or so.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
short commute isn't good for Compression Ignition engines, but you know that already.
idling to try to get it to warm up might even be worse; some diesels will actually *cool down* at an idle. (there are warnings about this in the Users Manual.)

that said, if you're really going to get it out on the road every weekend and get it good and warm for a while, you probably won't have any problems with it. i'd recommend considering it to be on the Extreme Service Duty Cycle and do the shorter maintenance cycle with the more frequent oil changes, but that's about it.

it's a great motor/trans drive to drive. enjoy!

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
short commute isn't good for Compression Ignition engines, but you know that already.
idling to try to get it to warm up might even be worse; some diesels will actually *cool down* at an idle. (there are warnings about this in the Users Manual.)

that said, if you're really going to get it out on the road every weekend and get it good and warm for a while, you probably won't have any problems with it. i'd recommend considering it to be on the Extreme Service Duty Cycle and do the shorter maintenance cycle with the more frequent oil changes, but that's about it.

it's a great motor/trans drive to drive. enjoy!
There’s no way I could ensure that I would go out every weekend :/ I know it’s crazy but now I’m seriously leaning towards the 392. Totally different engine and of course the cost, but I’m leaning towards it.

Last edited:

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
This is not the 1990's, Computer controlled modern engines in general get to operating temperature fairly quickly (Gas and Diesel). Combine that with better oil technology of synthetic oils and the flowabilty at low temperatures of the modern 0W and 5W lubricants (use by most modern diesels) completely negates the need to idle a direct injected diesel at start up.

https://mr4x4.com.au/how-long-do-you-really-need-to-warm-up-your-diesel-engine-up-for/

OP
OP

GS1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
This is not the 1990's, Computer controlled modern engines in general get to operating temperature fairly quickly (Gas and Diesel). Combine that with better oil technology of synthetic oils and the flowabilty at low temperatures of the modern 0W and 5W lubricants (use by most modern diesels) completely negates the need to idle a direct injected diesel at start up.

https://mr4x4.com.au/how-long-do-you-really-need-to-warm-up-your-diesel-engine-up-for/
You are so right this is not the 90's; and FCA with today's technology should have a reliable modern diesel. Instead FCA is still having issues with quality control on these diesel engines. It has been 4 weeks and they still have not stepped up to the plate and instilled confidence in Ram and Jeep owners that have had issues with their vehicles. If this was a small or limited issue they should have had my engine replaced within 5-7 days and I would have been happy and signing their praises, because I understand things happen. But instead 4 weeks later still without my jeep and they still have no answer because they realize their is or could be a bigger problem....? FCA has had every opportunity to make this right and they have completely failed to this point.

OP
OP

GS1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I plead for you to listen and learn from my horrible, horrible mistake of purchasing a Jeep from FCA. Here is my update, four weeks in the shop (4 weeks!) only to come back today and say they are going to do the original repair all over again. What?! You crack open the Third Gen EcoDiesel only to advise the highly skilled technician who did the original repair has to do it again. Mr. Senior Techincal Advisor, you think practicing insanity is going to have an alternate outcome. Oh I failed to mention; when they broken down the engine they found defective manufacturing on the engine block, the senior technical adviser told them to shave down the block and place a new seal. If this has happen to you seek legal counsel, this will be the only way to make Jeep a better brand. I have had three Jeeps in my lifetime and this is my last one until someone takes over the Jeep brand who cares!

Last edited:

Sponsored

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I plead for you to listen and learn from my horrible, horrible mistake of purchasing a Jeep from FCA. Here is my update, four weeks in the shop (4 weeks!) only to come back today and say they are going to do the original repair all over again. What?! You crack open the Third Gen EcoDiesel only to advise the highly skilled technician who did the original repair has to do it again. Mr. Senior Techincal Advisor, you think practicing insanity is going to have an alternate outcome. Oh I failed to mention; when they broken down the engine they found defective manufacturing on the engine block, the senior technical adviser told them to shave down the block and place a new seal. If this has happen to you seek legal counsel, this will be the only way to make Jeep a better brand. I have had three Jeeps in my lifetime and this is my last one until someone takes over the Jeep brand who cares!

What happened eventually with your jeep. I'm going down the same road currently.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Thank you - they replaced timing cover and week later found a different leak under driver side of vehicle.

7BC67127-A6C8-48C3-AA2F-1F668E472D8C_1_201_a.jpeg
Just realized the other day while underneath my EcoDiesel that the oil cooler is leaking in the exact same spot. I'm looking into seeing if I can just swap out the gaskets as I'm at 30,000 mi. If I need more beyond that I'm going to look into it.

Does anyone have a link or know where I can get just the gaskets for the oil cooler attachment to the assembly?
Sponsored