jadewolf

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Surprise! My winch plate arrived today, much faster than I was anticipating.

Went ahead and installed my old Warn M8000. It's about nine years old and a little beat up, but it still works.

I'm thinking about replacing it down the line with a Warn Zeon & synthetic rope, but this will do for now. Especially since Warn winches are almost universally out of stock and backordered right now.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_3616

Also took the rear seat out today. Going camping again this weekend and want to try loading up with a little extra cargo space. Not gonna lie, I already like it. I may never put the rear seat back in. I think I'm going to order a cargo liner, too.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_3618

Winch on, seat out! She's really starting to come together.

What's Next...

Out on the trails for a while before the next set of mods.

I'm starting to have second thoughts on my rock rail choice, so I may put those off a little longer. I'm secretly hoping LOD will release their Signature rock rails for the 2 door, honestly.

Either way... that means that rear bumper & tire carrier are likely the next big upgrade. Aiming to hit those early this fall, since I'll have ready help by then and I think the rear is going to be a two-person job.

Once I get the bulk of the heavy stuff installed, then I'll start looking at how exactly I want to plan out my lift to accommodate all the weight.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jadewolf

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Installed some lights today. KC Hilites Gravity Pro6 (spot beam) on the A-pillars.

Install was pretty simple. The KC brackets were very straightforward. Wired these lights up to one of the aux switches, which was also easy. Though, I will note that they sure don't give you a lot of slack on those aux wires! Really had to delicately maneuver to get in there to wire it up.

The wiring harness that the kit comes with was crazy long, too, and it had a fuse that wasn't necessary since I was using the aux switches and not the KC provided switch in the kit. So, ended up cutting the harness down by a LOT. But now it looks a lot cleaner and I'm happy with it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_3873

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_3870b

These things are super bright! I'm going to take it up the mountain after dark and do some fine adjustments to the aim.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_3876

I also opted to splurge on the smiley face covers. Because I am just a total sucker for that retro look.

Not today, but also did a few minor things over the past couple weeks.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build 50514013-05CB-4D7A-9E53-5AE2D6D8D0AB

Put a Weathertech cargo liner in the back. I like it. And it looks like I can still use it if I decide to reinstall the back seat, so... bonus!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_3819

Also did a partial debadge and took the "Wrangler" decals off. It's a Jeep. 'Nuff said.

What's Next...

This is probably the last mod for a little while. All the next items on the agenda are bigger projects and doing those in triple digit summer temps doesn't appeal to me. For now, just going to get out there on the trails and have fun for the summer!

When the temps start dropping after the summer, rear bumper, lift, & tires are on the agenda.

Consumerwhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Love the build! I am thinking about picking up the Barricade Tubular HD Rock Sliders as well, but the body bolts worry me a little haha.

Yes, you can totally use the Weathertech mat with the rear seats in! I just finished doing that to my 2DR, I pulled the carpet out (It rains 85 in/yr here, carpet gets nasty) and needed something to cover the metal but not completely. With the moisture levels and sandy soil it's easier for me just to hose the inside once a week so leaving bare metal is best.

Cheers!

OP
OP
jadewolf

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Love the build! I am thinking about picking up the Barricade Tubular HD Rock Sliders as well, but the body bolts worry me a little haha.

Yes, you can totally use the Weathertech mat with the rear seats in! I just finished doing that to my 2DR, I pulled the carpet out (It rains 85 in/yr here, carpet gets nasty) and needed something to cover the metal but not completely. With the moisture levels and sandy soil it's easier for me just to hose the inside once a week so leaving bare metal is best.

Cheers!
Thanks!!

Yeah, I ended up putting the seat back in when I took the top off today (no room to store both at the same time in the garage). Ended up working out perfect. These Weathertech mats are great!

I think when it comes time to deal with the body bolts and rock sliders, I'm just gonna take it down to my local shop. I'd rather not screw it up myself, haha. Worth an hour of labor to not end up busting one.

OP
OP
jadewolf

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well, not really a mod... but finally assembled my Lange Hoist-a-Cart this week.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_3938

This thing is great. Folds down enough that I can get it in and out of the garage, very sturdy, and well designed. I love that it can hold the hardtop closer to ground level. No worries about it coming loose and crashing down during a quake.

Took about 2-3 hours to assemble. Directions were... decent. Could be better. A few things were left out or poorly described, but the youtube videos from Lange Originals filled in all the gaps and I had no issues putting it together.

It was late when I got it done last night, so waited until daylight to take the top off. Works like a charm. Only difficulty I had was butterfinger'ing one of the strap-attachment wingnuts and losing it inside the Jeep body. I have notoriously terrible luck and the bolt found the one hole in the body large enough to fall into and... away it went. D'oh.

Otherwise, no issues. It was incredibly easy to use for one person. Highly recommend this cart!

And here's the first topless pic...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_0500.JPG

Sponsored

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Minor Mod Edition:

Alien Sunshade. Their blue is a perfect match for Hydro Blue.

Installation wasn't too bad. After futzing with the front clips for five minutes, I quickly elected to drop the windshield instead. That made it very easy to install, no problems at all.

Getting the rear corner bungees to reach was another matter. Those suckers were a pain to get on. I don't have my hardtop hoist yet (backordered from Lange, sigh), so I ended up improvising by using a six inch hooked bungee cord to grip and pull the Alien bungees around the mounting balls. Worked wonders and saved me from snapping my fingers in the bungees again. One corner was still being stubborn, so I used the bungee to string it tight to another point and drove around in the hot sun for about an hour. By then, the heat and wind had stretched the shade material and the last bungee went on without issue.

I still need to adjust the placement, but I'm going to let it stretch a little more first. And really liking the shade in general. Definitely helped keep me from getting sunburnt on my drive today.

Also added some paracord grab handles. "Electric Blue" paracord is not quite a match for Hydro Blue, but it looks good anyway.

Installed the Quadratec floor mats and door sill guards. Sill guards did not want to go on perfectly straight, so there's a slight gap towards the rear where it hooks up over to the top of the sill. Debating whether I want to pull them, get fresh tape, and try again... or swap to a fully flat model. For now, I'll leave it as is.

What's Next...

UPS man will be at my door a lot this week. This weekend's planned mods:

Vector Offroad E-Dock
Outback Adventures Trailgater Table
Midland GMRS MicroMobile Radio
Jeep looks awesome! Where did U get the paracord grab handles? Crazy about them!

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Installed some lights today. KC Hilites Gravity Pro6 (spot beam) on the A-pillars.

Install was pretty simple. The KC brackets were very straightforward. Wired these lights up to one of the aux switches, which was also easy. Though, I will note that they sure don't give you a lot of slack on those aux wires! Really had to delicately maneuver to get in there to wire it up.

The wiring harness that the kit comes with was crazy long, too, and it had a fuse that wasn't necessary since I was using the aux switches and not the KC provided switch in the kit. So, ended up cutting the harness down by a LOT. But now it looks a lot cleaner and I'm happy with it.

These things are super bright! I'm going to take it up the mountain after dark and do some fine adjustments to the aim.

I also opted to splurge on the smiley face covers. Because I am just a total sucker for that retro look.

Not today, but also did a few minor things over the past couple weeks.

Put a Weathertech cargo liner in the back. I like it. And it looks like I can still use it if I decide to reinstall the back seat, so... bonus!

Also did a partial debadge and took the "Wrangler" decals off. It's a Jeep. 'Nuff said.

What's Next...

This is probably the last mod for a little while. All the next items on the agenda are bigger projects and doing those in triple digit summer temps doesn't appeal to me. For now, just going to get out there on the trails and have fun for the summer!

When the temps start dropping after the summer, rear bumper, lift, & tires are on the agenda.
I am also considering the weather tech cargo mat for my two door. In the picture here, It appears that the mat does not stretch all the way, too the back of the vehicle. am I viewing this correctly?

OP
OP
jadewolf

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
jadewolf

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am also considering the weather tech cargo mat for my two door. In the picture here, It appears that the mat does not stretch all the way, too the back of the vehicle. am I viewing this correctly?
That pic isn't the best, as it hadn't finished settling in after being unrolled from shipping. But after it flattened out, it fills the space much better. When you close the rear tailgate, it presses right up against the gate. It's a pretty good fit.

You have some wiggle room with it, too. If you want it further back or forward. And it works with the backseat in or out, too.'

Also, there's a couple places you can cut out if you want, too. There are premade places to cut out for the four floor tie-downs, as well as a large one if you want to cut it out for the subwoofer. I don't have a sub and wasn't worried about the floor tie-downs, so I left them uncut. A sharp razorblade would probably do the job, though.

Also, I have the top off now with the backseat out and it's solid as a rock, even on the highway. Haven't had any trouble with the wind lifting it.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. Definitely recommend!

Last edited:

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
That pic isn't the best, as it hadn't finished settling in after being unrolled from shipping. But after it flattened out, it fills the space much better. When you close the rear tailgate, it presses right up against the gate. It's a pretty good fit.

You have some wiggle room with it, too. If you want it further back or forward. And it works with the backseat in or out, too.'

Also, there's a couple places you can cut out if you want, too. There are premade places to cut out for the four floor tie-downs, as well as a large one if you want to cut it out for the subwoofer. I don't have a sub and wasn't worried about the floor tie-downs, so I left them uncut. A sharp razorblade would probably do the job, though.

Also, I have the top off now with the backseat out and it's solid as a rock, even on the highway. Haven't had any trouble with the wind lifting it.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. Definitely recommend!
Thank U so much for the info & link. Great job on your Rubi, looks great 🤙🏽

Sponsored

OP
OP
jadewolf

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Nothing big lately. Too dang hot to spend all day wrenching in the garage, so no more major work until Fall at least. And I'm on call for the next month, so can't go outside of cell range and that puts the brakes on camping for a while.

But, been fiddling around with minor stuff in the interim.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_4247b

Doors came off this week. And boy is this a TON of fun! Windy as hell at freeway speeds, but great for tooling around town.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_4238

Using American Outlaw's mirrors while doorless. I bought these years ago for the JK but didn't end up getting much use out of them at the time (no place to store the top and doors in my old apartment). So they spent a lot of time in a box somewhere, getting all scratched up (eh, whatever).

Overall, I'm of mixed feelings about them.

Pros: They look nice. They offer a larger field of view than most drop in mirrors. They're pretty good quality construction.

Cons: They're a little tricky to get adjusted well. They vibrate (not unusably so, but very pronounced at 50mph+). I really don't care for the set screw holding them in place. It makes me super nervous about wrecking the paint, even with the nylon tip. I didn't care as much on the JK, since it was black and easy to touchup. But I love the Hydro Blue so much that I really want to keep the frivolous paint damage to a minimum.

I ended up putting some 3M protective film on the hinge barrel, then putting several layers of painters tape over that to give the set screw a thick cushion between it and the paint. The extra layers of painters tape also seems to make them fit a little snugger, which helps with the vibration.

I keep hearing fabulous things about the Carolina Metal Masters mirrors, so I'm considering them down the line, but I think I'll roll with these for now.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_4250

Also added a little shark chaser decal to the windshield. I've unofficially named the Jeep "Deep Blue" after the giant great white shark, so it seemed appropriate. (The Jeep's other unofficial name is "Rubi Bluesday.")

Later this week, I'm finally going to get around to matte painting the plastic door hinge covers I bought, too. Though, I don't think they'll work with these doorless mirror arrangements. So it might be a wash anyway. But, I've got extras so I might as well just for the heck of it.

Before going on call at work, I squeezed in one last quick camping trip to try out my new awning, too.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_4074b

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_4066b

It's the Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp. I'm pretty happy with it, reasonably easy to set up (even solo) and seems like decent quality. It's a little thin, so it doesn't block ALL the blistering SoCal heat. But it's definitely an improvement over no shade at all. I ordered some Green Elephant adjustable tarp poles to replace the fixed-height ones it comes with but they didn't come in time for this trip, so I'll have to test those out when I'm free to hit the trails again.

What's Next...

I'm having some back and forth about my rear bumper choice. I'm definitely going with the LOD Destroyer, but the question has become whether I need to go hog wild with the carrier and can mounts and all. With the backseat out, I have a crazy amount of space, so maybe I don't need the extra external space. And I'm hearing some folks are having issues with the backup camera relocation in the recent model JLs. After never having the feature before, I've come to love the backup camera and don't want to lose that to a funky relocation. To be continued on that front. I'll figure it out in the Fall.

After quite a bit of waffling, I think I've settled on the Clayton Overland+ lift, once they release the 1.5"-2" kit. I was originally going to go with Old Man Emu like my JK, but the reviews on the Clayton kit are so glowing that I think I've been swayed. And that's another reason to wait until the Fall for more upgrades.

After that, next big thing is wheels & tires. I'm either going with the ProComp 7069s or the Quadratec Baja Xtreme II wheels. Leaning towards Quadratec since they're hub-centric and less expensive. Either way, I want them in the polished silver. I am such a sucker for the retro look, especially on such a bold-colored 2-door Jeep as this one. I'm itching to just get them even before the lift and swap them onto the 33s, honestly.

And as soon as the electronic leash is cut, I'm off into the wilderness again for some camping. Jonesing for the outdoors, big time.

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
I am very impressed with your build. Very well thought out mods, kudos. I will be following this thread as I just ordered a Hydro blue 2 door 6 speed ragtop! I plan to mod it mildly such as yours, nothing too extreme. Now the waiting game....Im hearing my order (7/15) will take 3-6 months!! Ouch.....due to microchip shortage I guess.

BagPipesActual

First Name
BagPipes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sahara ..2021 JL Rubicon (Ordered)
Nothing big lately. Too dang hot to spend all day wrenching in the garage, so no more major work until Fall at least. And I'm on call for the next month, so can't go outside of cell range and that puts the brakes on camping for a while.

But, been fiddling around with minor stuff in the interim.

Doors came off this week. And boy is this a TON of fun! Windy as hell at freeway speeds, but great for tooling around town.

Using American Outlaw's mirrors while doorless. I bought these years ago for the JK but didn't end up getting much use out of them at the time (no place to store the top and doors in my old apartment). So they spent a lot of time in a box somewhere, getting all scratched up (eh, whatever).

Overall, I'm of mixed feelings about them.

Pros: They look nice. They offer a larger field of view than most drop in mirrors. They're pretty good quality construction.

Cons: They're a little tricky to get adjusted well. They vibrate (not unusably so, but very pronounced at 50mph+). I really don't care for the set screw holding them in place. It makes me super nervous about wrecking the paint, even with the nylon tip. I didn't care as much on the JK, since it was black and easy to touchup. But I love the Hydro Blue so much that I really want to keep the frivolous paint damage to a minimum.

I ended up putting some 3M protective film on the hinge barrel, then putting several layers of painters tape over that to give the set screw a thick cushion between it and the paint. The extra layers of painters tape also seems to make them fit a little snugger, which helps with the vibration.

I keep hearing fabulous things about the Carolina Metal Masters mirrors, so I'm considering them down the line, but I think I'll roll with these for now.

Also added a little shark chaser decal to the windshield. I've unofficially named the Jeep "Deep Blue" after the giant great white shark, so it seemed appropriate. (The Jeep's other unofficial name is "Rubi Bluesday.")

Later this week, I'm finally going to get around to matte painting the plastic door hinge covers I bought, too. Though, I don't think they'll work with these doorless mirror arrangements. So it might be a wash anyway. But, I've got extras so I might as well just for the heck of it.

Before going on call at work, I squeezed in one last quick camping trip to try out my new awning, too.

It's the Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp. I'm pretty happy with it, reasonably easy to set up (even solo) and seems like decent quality. It's a little thin, so it doesn't block ALL the blistering SoCal heat. But it's definitely an improvement over no shade at all. I ordered some Green Elephant adjustable tarp poles to replace the fixed-height ones it comes with but they didn't come in time for this trip, so I'll have to test those out when I'm free to hit the trails again.

What's Next...

I'm having some back and forth about my rear bumper choice. I'm definitely going with the LOD Destroyer, but the question has become whether I need to go hog wild with the carrier and can mounts and all. With the backseat out, I have a crazy amount of space, so maybe I don't need the extra external space. And I'm hearing some folks are having issues with the backup camera relocation in the recent model JLs. After never having the feature before, I've come to love the backup camera and don't want to lose that to a funky relocation. To be continued on that front. I'll figure it out in the Fall.

After quite a bit of waffling, I think I've settled on the Clayton Overland+ lift, once they release the 1.5"-2" kit. I was originally going to go with Old Man Emu like my JK, but the reviews on the Clayton kit are so glowing that I think I've been swayed. And that's another reason to wait until the Fall for more upgrades.

After that, next big thing is wheels & tires. I'm either going with the ProComp 7069s or the Quadratec Baja Xtreme II wheels. Leaning towards Quadratec since they're hub-centric and less expensive. Either way, I want them in the polished silver. I am such a sucker for the retro look, especially on such a bold-colored 2-door Jeep as this one. I'm itching to just get them even before the lift and swap them onto the 33s, honestly.

And as soon as the electronic leash is cut, I'm off into the wilderness again for some camping. Jonesing for the outdoors, big time.
Loving the build. Just ordered my 2 door in Sting Gray (thanks for making me second guess my color choice, the blue looks fantastic). I like all of the mods and the retro theme. I'll be following along and stealing all your good ideas.
Sponsored