jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build smDSC_5532b

The weather has finally cooled down (aka, no longer triple digits), so it was high time to get the Jeep naked!

But nevertheless we're still fully in Hot Mod Summer and we're not done yet, because...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7493

My FedEx guy must hate me. I'm always getting heavy boxes full of Jeep goodies.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build 1695861190133

But the wheels are here! And they look good. I wanted that retro soft-8s look in silver, but without the fussy maintenance of true polished chrome wheels. This was a good compromise! Plus, they have the perfect backspacing for the Clayton lift that's on my todo list.

Hitting up the local tire shop on Friday to get them installed. Swung by Home Despot today to pick up some rubber PVC connectors to extend the tailgate bumpstops, too. I think we should be good to go!

What's next...

Wheel install Friday. Then, well... taking a break from big things until after bonus time in December. I have some small installs I might do in the interim, though. Thinking about picking up some KC Cyclone hood lights to install. And probably going to rewire my GMRS radio and replace the snapped antenna. Might finally install an onboard air compressor as a stretch goal. We'll see.

But depending on what the world looks like in December, I might just pull the trigger on all the rest on my main build list all at once. LOD Destroyer rear bumper & tire carrier, Clayton Overland+ 1.5" lift, and 35s. Would get my basics all knocked out and then everything else is just frosting and adjustments as needed!
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

The weather has finally cooled down (aka, no longer triple digits), so it was high time to get the Jeep naked!

But nevertheless we're still fully in Hot Mod Summer and we're not done yet, because...

My FedEx guy must hate me. I'm always getting heavy boxes full of Jeep goodies.

But the wheels are here! And they look good. I wanted that retro soft-8s look in silver, but without the fussy maintenance of true polished chrome wheels. This was a good compromise! Plus, they have the perfect backspacing for the Clayton lift that's on my todo list.

Hitting up the local tire shop on Friday to get them installed. Swung by Home Despot today to pick up some rubber PVC connectors to extend the tailgate bumpstops, too. I think we should be good to go!

What's next...

Wheel install Friday. Then, well... taking a break from big things until after bonus time in December. I have some small installs I might do in the interim, though. Thinking about picking up some KC Cyclone hood lights to install. And probably going to rewire my GMRS radio and replace the snapped antenna. Might finally install an onboard air compressor as a stretch goal. We'll see.

But depending on what the world looks like in December, I might just pull the trigger on all the rest on my main build list all at once. LOD Destroyer rear bumper & tire carrier, Clayton Overland+ 1.5" lift, and 35s. Would get my basics all knocked out and then everything else is just frosting and adjustments as needed!
Loved the brushed/satin look on the silver wheels!

Also, if you're only looking to go up to 35's, you may find the longer front LCA's from the Mopar lift and some spacers get the job done pretty inexpensively; although, the Clayton springs will likely perform a lot better with the extra weight you already have and will eventually add.

OP
OP
jadewolf

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Loved the brushed/satin look on the silver wheels!

Also, if you're only looking to go up to 35's, you may find the longer front LCA's from the Mopar lift and some spacers get the job done pretty inexpensively; although, the Clayton springs will likely perform a lot better with the extra weight you already have and will eventually add.
Thanks!

And yeah, I've gone back and forth a bit about just going with Mopar. Seems like an easier route in a lot of ways and a friend of mine has the XR with the Mopar lift and loves it. I think, though, with all my camping gear (and eventually wanting to put a fridge back there) I've more or less settled on the Clayton finally. But there's some time left still to change my mind at least three or four more times, ha!

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Thanks!

And yeah, I've gone back and forth a bit about just going with Mopar. Seems like an easier route in a lot of ways and a friend of mine has the XR with the Mopar lift and loves it. I think, though, with all my camping gear (and eventually wanting to put a fridge back there) I've more or less settled on the Clayton finally. But there's some time left still to change my mind at least three or four more times, ha!
No first hand experience with the full Mopar kit, but I do know it costs quite a bit to still be missing pieces from what I would call a "complete" kit (track bars, adjustable control arms, etc.), but I don't hear many complaints from those that are willing to add the additional components, other than cost.

If you're adding tons of weight, Clayton does seem like the way to go, and I've only heard good things about the company and their quality.

OP
OP
jadewolf

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
New wheels are on!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build smDSC_5583b

These are Quadratec Baja Xtreme wheels and I'm really happy with them.

If anybody is considering these wheels, here's a fairly comprehensive rundown on them...

There's about 2-3" of poke beyond the fenders, which isn't really all that much but looks quite nice if you ask me.

Here's the front:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7514

And the rear:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7515

Looks pretty good from the front, I think.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build smDSC_5575b

This backspacing and offset also means that I needed to extend my spare tire bump stops. I picked up a pair of rubber 1 1/2" to 1 1/2" PVC connectors, removed the metal hose clamps. They slide over the stock bump stops perfectly (in one direction). But, frustratingly, ended up being just a sliver too short of perfect.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7506

So I went back to Home Despot and bought one more, then used a razor blade to slice it down to a thin segment to put at the base. It wasn't perfectly straight and I might redo it later to be cleaner, but it did the job.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7521

It left a little room for compression, too. So it all worked out. It's solid and doesn't rattle. And it'll serve as a stopgap until I upgrade the rear bumper & tire carrier.

Checking it over after install, there's also plenty of clearance around the Rubicon's brakes:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7522

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7519

Backspacing of 4.75" will be perfect for the Clayton lift that's on the agenda, too.

A minor detail, but the camera cover does fit on with the stock tire carrier, so that's handy.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7505

And the end result....

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build smDSC_5591b

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build smDSC_5587b

Needless to say, I'm quite happy with them!

Also, in minor things, I replaced the snapped GMRS antenna on the back, too.

What's next...

I just can't let this train stop yet, so I picked up the KC Cyclone hood light kit and I'll install those in the coming weeks.

After that, the next thing will likely be the rear bumper and tire carrier. Going with the LOD Destroyer for that as well, most likely in December.

Then after that, it'll be time for lift and 35s!

So glad to have some progress on my build finally! It's really coming together!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jadewolf

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
KC Cyclone Under Hood lighting kit arrived this week!

Pretty straightforward install, all in all.

I didn't remove ALL the hood liner clips, just enough to pull it back and run wires. And that seemed to be plenty. Then picked a place on the hood and marked it off to drill.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7612

Then CAREFULLY drilled through with a 1/8" bit. I put a little tape around the drill bit, about a quarter of an inch from the tip, to help stop myself from accidentally drilling through the other hood layer. Worked out fine, just went slow and didn't apply too much pressure.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7613

Screwed it in with a little play at first, so I could adjust the wire placement. Same on the other side.

Had to think about where to put the switch. My first choice would have been up by the fuse box on that little raised seam. But that would have interfered with my Redline struts, so I ended up picking a spot on one of the existing studs closer to the battery. Picked up a small M6-1.0 nut to add it onto the end (since using the existing nut wouldn't have left enough room for the switch box). It seems like an okay spot for now.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7615

Then ran the wires up under the hood liner and to the lights.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7619

Worst part about this whole install was getting the damn wires into the loom, by the way. I hate wire loom. Took longer than all the rest of the install.

I'm not 100% happy with the wire loom in this specific instance, either. It's got a lot movement when opening and closing the hood. I cinched one end down to try and keep it from popping out of the little channel there, but it still is a little too wiggly for my tastes. I'll let it roll for now, though, and see how I feel about maybe putting a different conduit around those wires later. Maybe something less stiff and more flexible. I'll see how it does a while then adjust if need be.

To make everything nice and clean, put some wire wrap tape around the ends by the lights and the other wires not in the loom.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7618

Then tightened everything down, cleaned everything up...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7621

... and threw the switch...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7620

These things are BRIGHT!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Hydro Blue 2 Door Rubi Build IMG_7622

I really dig this. It's a small mod, but I know it's going to be a handy one! Especially if anything needs addressing at night on the trail. Heck, it'll make working on the Jeep at home easier, too.

Of course, now I can see just how dusty and dirty my engine bay is... very embarrassing! Guess it means I gotta do some cleaning here soon.

But in the interim, I'm heading out this weekend to go get it dirty!

What's next...

Taking a break from major upgrades until later this winter. But the next big thing will be the rear bumper & tire carrier. Also might do an onboard air setup.

But mostly what's next is winter desert camping! The Jeep's all freshened up and the puppy has finally outgrown the worst of his carsickness, which means I can finally get out and camp again!

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
Great job on your Jeep 👍
Sponsored