Sponsored

2021 Firecracker Red JLUR: My first ever Jeep (thanks to Bronco delays!)

slipstream

First Name
Filip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2019 Ford Expedition, 2020 Tesla X
Hi All -
A little bit about how I got here. I am a fan of "all things automotive" but in the past I was typically leaning more into high-performance street cars. Last year I decided I wanted to get a proper off-roader. The new Bronco was all over the media then and it caught my eye. I ended up making a reservation and hoping I would get it by spring 2021. Well Ford kept pushing the date back and given that my reservation was way down the list at the local dealer I decided there was absolutely zero chance of getting one in 2021 and I had to patience to wait that long. So I went out and test-drove bunch of Wranglers, all the pickup trucks with an off-road package/trim and the usual Toyotas.

I gotta say it wasn't love at first say with the Jeep. The steering and overall handling is what put me off initially. The car I sold prior to this purchase was a BMW M2 so the Jeep felt like a completely drunk disaster on the road......but I kept coming back. There was something that was pulling me back in. I think I test drove like 10 different models and each time I felt more 'at home in it" and finally decided that 2.0T Rubicon is what I want.

I was initially planning on ordering one from the factory, but was able to work out a deal on the inventory unit with one of our local dealers that came in at Invoice less 8% (13% below MSRP) which I thought was very good based on what I read on here. I ended up getting one pretty much fully loaded (which is more than I would have gotten if I ordered one, but oh well)

Factory specs:
2021 Rubicon 4 door
2.0L turbo
Leather
Cold package
Trailer Tow package
LED group
Premium Audio
Safety and Advanced Safety
Steel bumper group
Hard top headliner
Rock-Track 4WD
Front Camera
Body Color roof

The day I brought it home:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Firecracker Red JLUR: My first ever Jeep (thanks to Bronco delays!) day1

and immediately made it dirty the next day:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Firecracker Red JLUR: My first ever Jeep (thanks to Bronco delays!) Day2

Tires:
BF Goodrich KO2, 315/70R17 (35"), Load C
Synergy 1.75" Wheel Spacers

Suspension
Dynatrac 2.0in EnduroSport Suspension
Teraflex Sport Front LCAs
Synergy Rear Track Bar Bracket
Synergy Adjustable Front Track Bar

Exterior
LOD Destroyer Rock Sliders, Black
SMITTYBILT X20-10 COMP GEN2 Winch on a Maximus-3 plate
Factor-55 fairlead
Factor-55 Flatlink-E
Magnaflow Street Series Axle-Back (#19388) exhaust
Rhino Rack, Vortex SG 2-Bar System, Roof Rails
RokBlokz XL Mud Flaps
Rydonair Antenna, 13"
Trim-Lok Rubber Tubing Seal (fenders)

Interior
Mopar Rubber Floor Mats
Kuat Hi-Lo Hitch extension
Quadratec Ultimate All Weather Rear Cargo Liner
Bulletpoint Phone mount
Savadicar JL GrabTray Passenger Storage Tray
Roof Tie Down Anchors: Tie-Down Anchor PRO
Grip Handle: GP-Grip PRO
Throttle Controller: HIKE IT-X9
Tazer Lite
Sponsored

Last edited:

whiskey jack

First Name
marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
Welcome, I have always owned jeeps and my share of BMW's. I also was on the bronco reservation list, was gonna buy one for my daughter. Once I got over the bronco hype and saw it with clear eyes, I'm convinced you made the right decision. You'll be much happier.

OP
OP

slipstream

First Name
Filip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let the (modding) games begin!

First let me say that I am super grateful for this awesome forum and Jeep community overall. Really impressed by the people I met so far and the vast resources available. Plus the amount of aftermarket support for these things is just incredible.

Since this is my first Jeep and first off-roader I really don't know where I am going with it. For now, I decided I dont want a pure rock-crawler or an super geared out Overlander. What I am shooting for is a fairly capable "all-arounder". Improved off-road capability while maintaining proper road manners is key. I want my family (2 kids under 12) to be as comfortable as possible while we take the Jeep on adventures.

I also steer towards mods that I can install myself and learn along the way.

So here is what I have done so far.

Tires:
BF Goodrich KO2, 315/70R17 (35"), Load C
Synergy 1.75" Wheel Spacers

Suspension
Dynatrac 2.0in EnduroSport Suspension
Teraflex Sport Front LCAs
Synergy Rear Track Bar Bracket
Synergy Adjustable Front Track Bar

Exterior
LOD Destroyer Rock Sliders, Black
Magnaflow Street Series Axle-Back (#19388) exhaust
Rhino Rack, Vortex SG 2-Bar System, Roof Rails
RokBlokz XL Mud Flaps
Rydonair Antenna, 13"
Trim-Lok Rubber Tubing Seal (fenders)

Interior
Mopar Rubber Floor Mats
Kuat Hi-Lo Hitch extension
Quadratec Ultimate All Weather Rear Cargo Liner
Bulletpoint Phone mount
Savadicar JL GrabTray Passenger Storage Tray
Roof Tie Down Anchors: Tie-Down Anchor PRO
Grip Handle: GP-Grip PRO
Throttle Controller: HIKE IT-X9

Current picture:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Firecracker Red JLUR: My first ever Jeep (thanks to Bronco delays!) IMG_2488

Sponsored

OP
OP

slipstream

First Name
Filip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome, I have always owned jeeps and my share of BMW's. I also was on the bronco reservation list, was gonna buy one for my daughter. Once I got over the bronco hype and saw it with clear eyes, I'm convinced you made the right decision. You'll be much happier.
Thanks....I agree. I also got over the hype. I also figured Bronco will be here for a ling time. Lets see how it does after the 1st year etc and I can always get one later if I want. But the Jeep modding thing has been soo much fun. I know it will be a while till after market catches up with Bronco.

OP
OP

slipstream

First Name
Filip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I am taking an Off-Road Vehicle Recovery class in March., which means I should start thinking about getting a winch. Currently between WARN EVO VR 10-s or Smittybilt X2O GEN2. I was initially set on the Warn but I am not liking the cable fitment issues others are reporting (cables seem to hard to hide from line of sight)

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the new purchase and good on you for getting her dirty right away!

KAMIECON

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
So I am taking an Off-Road Vehicle Recovery class in March., which means I should start thinking about getting a winch. Currently between WARN EVO VR 10-s or Smittybilt X2O GEN2. I was initially set on the Warn but I am not liking the cable fitment issues others are reporting (cables seem to hard to hide from line of sight)
Very similar build for my 2021 firecracker JLUR, I went with the WARN EVO VR 10, going to install it next week when I'm free. lots of reviews and installation YT videos available with our stock steel bumpers.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Such a beautiful Jeep! Let the mods begin :D are you going to install GMRS or a HAM radio??
I just finished installing both in my Jeep! Had to sacrifice the glove box for a clean hidden install!

Sponsored

OP
OP

slipstream

First Name
Filip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very similar build for my 2021 firecracker JLUR, I went with the WARN EVO VR 10, going to install it next week when I'm free. lots of reviews and installation YT videos available with our stock steel bumpers.
Just checked out your built. Very nice. How did the winch install go? Which plate did you go with? I just ordered Smittybilt X20 along with the Maximus-3 plate. Hope to install it next week!

OP
OP

slipstream

First Name
Filip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Such a beautiful Jeep! Let the mods begin :D are you going to install GMRS or a HAM radio??
I just finished installing both in my Jeep! Had to sacrifice the glove box for a clean hidden install!
Thanks! I haven't though about the radio yet...can you post the pic of your install?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You've been quite busy w/ your new JLUR, congrats and way to dive right in the deep end, NICE!!!

KAMIECON

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Just checked out your built. Very nice. How did the winch install go? Which plate did you go with? I just ordered Smittybilt X20 along with the Maximus-3 plate. Hope to install it next week!
I haven't had a chance to install it yet, it was back ordered for a week and then the Texas deep freeze happened. Went with the JCR plate. Should be able to install it next week along with a few other goodies.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Congrats on the new Jeep! Looks good and great pics!
Sponsored