Sponsored

bhunter71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I ordered mine today as well - JLURD with a sticker just north of 60K. Gulp.

This was a first for me: I actually didn't order from the dealer with the best deal. The dealer that I passed up is actually closer to my home, but I didn't like their old school sales tactics. I'm at the point in my life where price is important, but earning my respect is more important. I got 5% under invoice and I'm quite satisfied.

I've said it previously, the last percentage point of discount often comes with an exponentially greater amount of stress and shenanigans. The thing that turned me off was the mandate of a slew of worthless dealer add-ons totaling $1,295. They ultimately backed off on the requirement, but by that time their credibility was damaged. Ironically, this was a Costco dealership.
If i had to guess, it was Chapman with all of those add-ons.

JeddyMac

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F-350 Powerstroke, 2021 JLURD (on order), 1940 Ford PU, 2005 Cessna T182T
Occupation
Business Owner
I just ordered, or should I say reordered mine yesterday after my 2020 JLURD came in on July 1st (ordered April 15) without the cold weather package that I ordered.

I asked multiple times for a VIN on the 2020 and they kept giving me COVID excuses.

On the bright side, I now get the trail cam option that wasn't available on the 2020!

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
I placed an order for a 2021 JLURD on Tuesday (7/7) with Rydell in San Fernando. They are the closest dealer to me, and they have a no haggle price policy. Their price was $1500 below invoice, which comes out to about 2.5%. I got the POC, VON and VIN yesterday (7/9). Build status: D. The estimated ship date is blank. Although it sounds like some of you have gotten better prices, I'm happy with the prompt service so far.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Cool. I haven't mapped out my trip yet since it's hard to know when I might see delivery. But I do anticipate several low mileage, moderate speed days exploring some backroads before really sprinting for home. There's not any break-in period specified, but like you I err on the side of caution usually. Especially with an expensive new toy!

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS —
3.0L DIESEL
The diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed, providing the following recommen- dations are followed:
  •  Warm up the engine before placing it under load.
  •  Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged periods.
  •  Use the appropriate transmission gear to prevent engine lugging.
  •  Observe vehicle oil pressure and tempera- ture indicators.
  •  Check the coolant and oil levels frequently.
  •  Vary throttle position at highway speeds when carrying or towing significant weight.
Warm up which means idle but don't idle for prolonged periods? So what is prolonged and I though diesel engines were made to idle?

MotoMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD Granite Crystal Metallic
Warm up which means idle but don't idle for prolonged periods? So what is prolonged and I though diesel engines were made to idle?
These are during the "break in period". Most agree that during the early life hours on an engine constant rpm for prolonged periods is not a good idea. This is why you'll see recommendations to not use cruise control for the first 500-1000 miles, so that you get a more varied rpm.

Last edited:

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) long haul diesel truck drivers would leave their diesels runing at idle, especially in cold weather. The reasons given for doing so were:
1. To keep the cab warm while they slept
2. Diesel fuel often had high levels of paraffin, which could block the fuel lines if the engine got cold
3. Diesels don’t use that much fuel at idle because they operate with a lean air-fuel ratio (unlike gasoline engines which need a rich air-fuel ratio to idle)

I don’t think these reasons apply to today’s diesels.
1. Diesel fuel has little or no paraffin.
2. Inexpensive cab heaters are available which burn diesel fuel and use 12 or 24 volt power
3. Prolonged idle tends to produce more particulates which could clog your DPF.

The only reason I see for letting a 3.0L EcoDiesel idle is to let the turbocharger bearing cool down before shutting off its oil supply. I would let it idle for at least two minutes; longer if it’s a hot day or if it’s been driven at freeway speed for a long time.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Thanks for the answers

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My son is a long haul semi driver. In some cities and states they can receive a ticket for letting their trucks idle when parked.
Sponsored