Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Soooo, I took my 2021 JLU Sport Altitude 3.0 V6 EcoDiesel in to have locking differentials installed and the mechanics were scratching their heads when they got it on the lift and pulled the gears apart. Dana 44s m210 and m220 with 4.10 gears. They actually counted the splines to make sure. So basically, it looks like they put the Rubicon axels and gears on mine. I am trying to figure out if it is all 2021 JLU Sport Altitude 3.0 V6 EcoDiesel's or for some unknown reason, maybe parts availability, just mine? When I log into Mopar and lookup the vin it says 3.73 but I am trusting the mechanics at their word sooo? Also wondering what my transfer case is at this point.
RPMs would be higher at same speed as 3.73's at say, 65 mph. Might be able to go off that for sure.
Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Soooo, I took my 2021 JLU Sport Altitude 3.0 V6 EcoDiesel in to have locking differentials installed and the mechanics were scratching their heads when they got it on the lift and pulled the gears apart. Dana 44s m210 and m220 with 4.10 gears. They actually counted the splines to make sure. So basically, it looks like they put the Rubicon axels and gears on mine. I am trying to figure out if it is all 2021 JLU Sport Altitude 3.0 V6 EcoDiesel's or for some unknown reason, maybe parts availability, just mine? When I log into Mopar and lookup the vin it says 3.73 but I am trusting the mechanics at their word sooo? Also wondering what my transfer case is at this point.
I also have a jlu sport altitude haven't had the splines counted. To the best of my knowledge all diesel rubicon's come with the same 373 gears. And thats for all diesels regardless of trim level. I'm on a similar path of wanting lockers my JLUAD. Most likely go ARB air lockers but if it's cost-effective I would consider the OEM electronic. If it's the Rubicon Dana 44 axle I believe it should have the pre-cut access hole for the electronic Locker wire? I've already checked mine and I don't but now you got me wondering could it be 4:10s. And how many more of us might have the same if we were to count our splines. There seems to be some contradictions when people like myself put the larger tires on and are able to achieve 8th gear on the highway and others are not without regearing. You opened up a Pandora's Box can't wait to find out more.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
So the postulation is that Jeep accidentally put 4.10's in your 3.0L Wrangler? They also accidentally got both axle ratios to match, and they purposefully ignored that 3.73's were called for. And your mechanic/s counted splines and came up with this fantasy? LOL. I mean, I suppose it's possible.

Seems the easiest way to tell what gears are in an axle is to jack up the rear and count how many revolutions of the drive shaft it takes to complete one revolution of the tire.

Did they count the splines on the ring gear and on the pinion? What do they number?

Last edited:

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
To help clear up the wording, they aren’t counting splines, they would be counting TEETH on the R&P. Splines would be on the axle shafts and the end of the pinion where the flange goes. If they said splines, then it would just help prove that they don’t know what they are doing.

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
So the postulation is that Jeep accidentally put 4.10's in your 3.0L Wrangler? They also accidentally got both axle ratios to match, and they purposefully ignored that 3.73's were called for. And your mechanic/s counted splines and came up with this fantasy? LOL. I mean, I suppose it's possible.

Seems the easiest way to tell what gears are in an axle is to jack up the rear and count how many revolutions of the drive shaft it takes to complete one revolution of the tire.
What I have done is tape a string to the bottom of the drive shaft and mark the side of the tire at the bottom. Move the vehicle exactly one tire revolution and then look at the string. You should be able to tell if it is more or less than four revolutions.

Sponsored

NightSquirrel

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Sport Altitude Ecodiesel

Did they count the splines on the ring gear and on the pinion? What do they number?
I am not saying they accidently did that at the factory, I am suggesting they may have run out of the spec parts and used what they had which may have been the Rubicon parts. Pandemic and all.

NightSquirrel

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To help clear up the wording, they aren’t counting splines, they would be counting TEETH on the R&P. Splines would be on the axle shafts and the end of the pinion where the flange goes. If they said splines, then it would just help prove that they don’t know what they are doing.
Thanks for the correction :)

NightSquirrel

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, a bit more information to add to the mystery. I got my Jeep back from a very well-respected custom shop, that installed a 2'' lift and 35s for me, and the manager told me all Sport Altitudes that have tow packages (which I do) come with the 4.10s. If that is the case, I am wondering why it shows 3.73 when I run my VIN?

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

So, a bit more information to add to the mystery. I got my Jeep back from a very well-respected custom shop, that installed a 2'' lift and 35s for me, and the manager told me all Sport Altitudes that have tow packages (which I do) come with the 4.10s. If that is the case, I am wondering why it shows 3.73 when I run my VIN?
Interesting I have a 2020 JLU Altitude diesel, with the tow package. I called Dana, a few weeks ago to try and determine if I had limited slip as indicated on my window sticker. They had me look for identification badging on the axle I cannot find one anywhere they said on the JK's they use to have a tab that hung off one of the housing bolts. I literally looked everywhere all over the housing and could not find any number that correlated with anything they could identify with. When I gave them the VIN number they also stated I have the 373 gearing. I'm running 17" Icon's with 37's. I have yet to flash anything at the dealer and do not have the Tazer JL since I run the Banks setup. I'm able to run 8th gear on the highway in most cases when exceeding 65 mph depending on the grade. Tons of power and torque so you got me wondering ??. Wasn't sure of the Altitude Edition at the time. It was very limited just as the pandemic hit and the production line got shut down but I don't regret the Altitude Edition at all I would probably do it again.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i think you see 3.73s when you run your VIN because that's what's really there, and whoever was speaking at that "very well-respected custom shop" doesn't actually know what's in the axles of the Diesel.

EDIT:
i have to acknowledge that J**p does some very weird stuff, and even Dana has been known to supply multiple variations of what is supposed to be "the same" parts, but i find it hard to believe they would have sent a stock 3.0D out the door on stock tires with 4.10s. seems to me it would have been wailing away on the highway on stock tires.

i suppose if we really wanted to narrow it down, we could do some comparisions of RPMs at a given speed,...?
it's been awhile since i had stock size tires so i can't help in this regard, but perhaps someone else with the same tire model and size and speedo correction (or not) as Jasons can step in and help nail it down.
i'm open to being proven wrong. wouldn't be the first time!

Sponsored

Last edited: