2021 delete, tune, exhaust options??

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
It can only tow 3,500 pounds. How much power do you need for that?
Sponsored

OP
OP

In2Deep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It can only tow 3,500 pounds. How much power do you need for that?
You referenced a 3/4 ton truck, so that's what I was talking about in regards to the towing. As for the Jeep, just for increased performance, sound and reliability. Who doesn't want faster and more power? Almost all the issues I'm reading about ppl having with this diesel platform are emissions related. Delete the emission controls, delete the problems. Im new to Jeep, but not diesels and emissions have always been an achilles heel for diesels across all brands. From what I'm gathering there isn't a proven or easy way to delete the Ecodiesel yet. I'll run the Banks tune and pedal monster for now.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Banks makes both (PedalMonster), I have both just waiting for a host. Can’t wait to install them.
To test my assertion, try the PedalMonster before you install the Derringer. That way you'll see where the true perceptual gains are. You'll be surprised. I suspect that the Derringer gains are nearly impossible to detect seat-of-the-pants, while the PedalMonster will blow you away.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Delete the emission controls, delete the problems. Im new to Jeep, but not diesels and emissions have always been an achilles heel for diesels across all brands.
Not necessarily......

A lot of it has to do with the duty cycle of use.

My 2018 RAM 4500 is at 408k miles running on all stock emissions components. It’s not a “grocery getter” nor “mall crawler” but regularly sees GCW’s of 32k to 34k and I’ve also grossed in excess of 42k a few times as well.

Oh......and this is all on stock tuning with the de-rated Cab & Chassis power levels of 325 hp and 750 torque......and only 4.10 gearing.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 delete, tune, exhaust options?? 6D83C5EE-91F9-4FC4-A20A-BD2C85D8C5B0

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Not necessarily......

My 2018 RAM 4500 is at 408k miles running on all stock emissions components. It’s not a “grocery getter” nor “mall crawler” but regular sees GCW’s of 32k to 34k and I’ve also grossed in excess of 42k a few times as well.

Oh......and this is all on stock tuning with the de-rated Cab & Chassis power levels of 325 hp and 750 torque......and only 4.10 gearing.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 delete, tune, exhaust options?? 6D83C5EE-91F9-4FC4-A20A-BD2C85D8C5B0
408,000 miles in three years. Wow!

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Not necessarily......

My 2018 RAM 4500 is at 408k miles running on all stock emissions components. It’s not a “grocery getter” nor “mall crawler” but regular sees GCW’s of 32k to 34k and I’ve also grossed in excess of 42k a few times as well.

I agree 100% with you. A lot of the diesels I see having problems aren't used enough for them to do what they need to do for emissions. I can't tell you how many diesel trucks I sell that are hardly driven, and street queens. They are the ones always having problems.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
To test my assertion, try the PedalMonster before you install the Derringer. That way you'll see where the true perceptual gains are. You'll be surprised. I suspect that the Derringer gains are nearly impossible to detect seat-of-the-pants, while the PedalMonster will blow you away.
I am sure the throttle response tuner (pedalmonster) for sure gives that feel more so because it’s tuning out that eco friendly delay. I am going to install everything but leave the derringer off during the break-in phase. I had a derringer in my Denali L5P, it felt better but there was still pedal hesitation felt, also accounting for the spool time.

I will keep them both in the low setting I’m sure, I’m going for economy mostly.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Both have a stock setting. You can mix and match them at will to test what affects what.

I can say that the Derringer does provide an improvement in acceleration. It's not huge (only about 10% increase in torque won't wow you). But it's there. The pedal monster does change the feel a lot more. But that's because it goes to WOT sooner than the stock pedal.

OP
OP

In2Deep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Not necessarily......

That's great. I have always deleted and had no issues. Maybe I'm a little over cautious after going through the 6.0 Ford issues in the past. Though not completely emissions related they played a big part in it. He was saying he didn't understand why ppl delete and tune diesels. I was giving the reasons I choose to. To each their own

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I sure get the desire to delete. I have a 2003 Ram 2500 Cummins...couple years before all the emissions stuff hit. I have 35s lifted about 3 inches, air damn ripped off in the desert...and a decent amount of mods that boost me up substantially in HP and torque. Yet still I am getting 24 MPG in town and 26 - 28 on the highway (no load).

My cousin just bought a '17 Cummins 2500 with all the standard emissions equipment. It is low mileage, great condition, and still totally stock with highway tires and it is getting 17 MPG on the highway (no load) and 12 - 15 MPG in the highway with a trailer.

I also get the environmental issues and sure don't want to be putting out a bunch of HC, NoX, or cancer causing particulates, but is hard for me to believe that a truck burning nearly twice the fuel I am is going to put out substantially less pollutants. Plus at nearly 20 years old mine is still going strong...I have my doubts that in 2037 the emissions equipped Cummins will be in the same condition.

Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
To each their own
Correct.....and I don’t want to schitttttttttt on your thread, it’s just when you said

Delete the emission controls, delete the problems. Im new to Jeep, but not diesels and emissions have always been an achilles heel for diesels across all brands.
particularly what I highlighted in bold above, is what gets me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion......but when someone starts passing off their opine as fact, all it does is create confusion and misinformation.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Check out ecodiesel owners Canada (EOC) performance parts for full ECU tune and hardware delete.

OP
OP

In2Deep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Correct.....and I don’t want to schitttttttttt on your thread, it’s just when you said

particularly what I highlighted in bold above, is what gets me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion......but when someone starts passing off their opine as fact, all it does is create confusion and misinformation.
Who are you, the fact police? You took it as my opinion, which is all it is... my opinion. Seems all you want t to do is knit pick and argue w/ nothing to add. Fuck off

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
I"ve looked into this. Here is what I've come to (not promising its all accurate)

There is no current emissions delete available - simply because its illegal and no company wants to risk it.

You can go banks for more HP/Torque. But I understand it comes at a cost of increased soot in the engine.

GDE has a tune that will get you to almost 500fllbs and reduced soot (I'm wanting to go that route).

My understanding is that the detriment to all this emission stuff is that it puts soot back into the engine which is what causes the problems.

I did read that there is a blockoff plate you can install which prevents a lot soot from coming back, but that is illegal too and will void your warranty.

OP
OP

In2Deep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I"ve looked into this. Here is what I've come to (not promising its all accurate)

There is no current emissions delete available - simply because its illegal and no company wants to risk it.

You can go banks for more HP/Torque. But I understand it comes at a cost of increased soot in the engine.

GDE has a tune that will get you to almost 500fllbs and reduced soot (I'm wanting to go that route).

My understanding is that the detriment to all this emission stuff is that it puts soot back into the engine which is what causes the problems.

I did read that there is a blockoff plate you can install which prevents a lot soot from coming back, but that is illegal too and will void your warranty.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, much appreciated. It's basically the same conclusion that I've come to myself. I didn't realize the Banks tuner increased engine soot, that's good to know since I have one on order along w/ the pedal monster. In light of this new info I'll use the banks tuner but keep it on factory tune mostly. Almost seems like a wasted $770 for the tuner if it's just set on factory. I guess the idash gauge will be cool to mess with at least.
Sponsored