Sponsored

2021 delete, tune, exhaust options??

In2Deep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Hello, I just purchased a Sport S and I'm looking to delete the DEF/emissions and add a tuner w/ custom exhaust. This vehicle is not my daily driver and will be used for trail riding in sw Florida. We don't have many rocks to crawl but do have tons of sugar sand, mud, water and palmettos to stomp. Is deleting and tuning the right direction to go? I know the warranty would be gone but I've still always done this to any other diesel I've owned for increases in power and response. I've been looking around and it seems options are limited for this platform. Has anyone here done this or have any direction to give? Thanks.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hello, I just purchased a Sport S and I'm looking to delete the DEF/emissions and add a tuner w/ custom exhaust. This vehicle is not my daily driver and will be used for trail riding in sw Florida. We don't have many rocks to crawl but do have tons of sugar sand, mud, water and palmettos to stomp. Is deleting and tuning the right direction to go? I know the warranty would be gone but I've still always done this to any other diesel I've owned for increases in power and response. I've been looking around and it seems options are limited for this platform. Has anyone here done this or have any direction to give? Thanks.
I haven't heard anything that has a significant enough improvement to justify foregoing your warranty - especially on a somewhat risky engine. And...the only one discussed on this group seems to have some drivability issues.

[not to mention the environmental impact. which is what would stop me, but that's a personal decision]

In the meantime, have you researched a throttle enhancer? That will give you a much more visceral sensation than a currently available tune, is much cheaper, will retain your warranty, and won't pollute. It is the single biggest no-brainer modification for an EcoDiesel.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
Banks has a piggy back option that doesn't alter the pcm - deringer. But again this doesnt address emissions delete.

Sponsored

OP
OP

In2Deep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Banks Derringer and pedal commander? Or just the banks tuner?

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Is deleting and tuning the right direction to go? I know the warranty would be gone but I've still always done this to any other diesel I've owned for increases in power
Why not wait until you have a problem.....then consider your options of going the tuning and delete route? Emissions problems are a lot less problematic nowadays than they were years ago.....

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Banks derringer is limited to short bursts of power in the #6 mode . Ecodieselusa is the only one I’ve seen with removed hardware

Bluesharp

First Name
Bluesharp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara diesel , 1966 MGB
Occupation
Prison dentist...no, seriously 😷 RETIRED!!!
I second a throttle controller. It really makes a difference, inexpensive, easy install, no warranty problems.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
I have the derringer, but won't be picking up the eco diesel until this coming weekend so the carts a little ways in front of the horse... as far as the pedal commander goes, it modifies throttle response but not available horse power so no experience, but it seems everyone that's used one swears by it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

In2Deep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the Banks tuner w/ pedal commander. I'll follow up once I have it all installed. I'm taking it to have a sound system installed tomorrow which is gonna take a couple weeks. Likely won't have the tuner installed before the first of the year. Thanks again.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have the derringer, but won't be picking up the eco diesel until this coming weekend so the carts a little ways in front of the horse... as far as the pedal commander goes, it modifies throttle response but not available horse power so no experience, but it seems everyone that's used one swears by it.
I suspect that a Pedal Commander-equipped Jeep will feel markedly faster than a Derringer-equipped one. For me it's about the seat-of-the-pants experience. [I know. It seems counter-intuitive]

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I suspect that a Pedal Commander-equipped Jeep will feel markedly faster than a Derringer-equipped one. For me it's about the seat-of-the-pants experience. [I know. It seems counter-intuitive]
Banks makes both (PedalMonster), I have both just waiting for a host. Can’t wait to install them.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Why do people constantly want to do this? 3/4 ton diesel want to delete and straight pipe everything. Why, to maybe gain a few MPGs and not have to buy DEF. Then when they go to dealer and they void your warranty you want to bitch about it. Also, if you go to trade it in/sell it is actually illegal. Up to a $2,500 fine for removing that stuff. A lot of dealers won’t trade for one that’s had all that done. Why not just leave it alone? It has great power and fuel mileage stock.

OP
OP

In2Deep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Why do people constantly want to do this? 3/4 ton diesel want to delete and straight pipe everything. Why, to maybe gain a few MPGs and not have to buy DEF. Then when they go to dealer and they void your warranty you want to bitch about it. Also, if you go to trade it in/sell it is actually illegal. Up to a $2,500 fine for removing that stuff. A lot of dealers won’t trade for one that’s had all that done. Why not just leave it alone? It has great power and fuel mileage stock.
I do it for the huge HP gains and increased torque. It's nice when you do a lot of towing especially w/ heavier loads. Don't really care about a warranty and never trade anything in. Stealerships rip you off on the trade-in anyway. Private party buyers will actually pay more for deleted/tuned trucks as the tuners and tunes are becoming increasingly harder to get. My 2017 F250 is a totally different truck w/ the delete and tune than it was stock.
Sponsored